• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Language question: waterbirds or water birds (1 Viewer)

Agree with the majority here, 'waterbird' is the correct term to use in an ornithological context.

The problem is no-one has told Microsoft or Apple - just tried typing it on my iPhone and it autocorrects to 'water birds'; on Word I get a red underline denoting typographical error. So I can understand how anyone who is relying on spellcheck functions may get confused by this.

See also 'watercourse'...

Quote:
True. But who said it had to be? Anyway, what language is? Show me a language with no "irregular verbs"....
Farnboro John

Hey, John, please mind your linguistic remarks :)^). Afrikaans, the beautiful language of South Africa, which developed parallelously to our own Dutch - and which some of my compatriots still qualify as "such a funny speech" - has dropped all irregular verbs which the Dutch language still contains. There is even no imperfect past tense, as in "I was, I did, he came", in Dutch :"ik was, ik deed, hij kwam"; such phrases have turned into "ek het gewees" (Dutch: ik ben geweest), "ek het gedoen" (Dutch: doen, gedaan = to do, done), hy het gekom (Dutch: hij is gekomen).
By the way, the linguistic development did not take away all irregularities, example: in Dutch we have "nacht, nachten" (night, nights), in Afrikaans: nag, plural: nagte, and Dutch: "dag, dagen" (day, days) became: dag, daë, so South African children have to learn such things which are not logical for them. . .
Cheers, just a side-track (side track?) from a language freak, Jan (= John) van der Brugge

Very interesting. To Dutch ears, then, Afrikaans must sound like baby talk. That certainly would be the case in the English speaking world where young children typically pass through a stage where they “regularize” irregular verbs—“thinked” for ‘thought”, “goed” for “went”, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Hello fugl, thank you for your reaction. I should not give an extension towards off-topic matters, but I take the liberty to translate the examples you gave, somehow to reward your avatar name and interest:
Dutch: denken, ik dacht, gedacht = to think, I thought, thought. Also, noun: gedachte = (a) thought
Afrikaans: dink, ek het gedink, gedink. Noun: gedagte (I wonder how they link those words in their minds)
Dutch: doen, ik deed/wij deden, gedaan = to do, I/we did, done
Afrikaans: doen, ek het gedoen/ons het gedoen, gedoen (there is still a word "gedaan" for: ready, exhausted!)
Dutch: gaan, ik ging, gegaan = to go, I went, gone
Afrikaans: gaan, ek het/is gegaan, gegaan
Dutch: vliegen, ik vloog/wij vlogen, gevlogen = to fly, I flew/we flew / flown (also: to run at high speed)
Afrikaans: vlieë, ek/ons het gevlieg, gevlieg [vlieg in Dutch and Afrikaans = fly, the insect]
de vogel is gevlogen = the bird has flown
Afrikaans: die voël het gevlieg
In this last example there would certainly be an impression of children's talk, like you remarked.
By the way, the phrase has a double meaning in Dutch: the culprit has disappeared.
Well, so do I, drifting still farther away from the shore(birds) and waterbirds of this topic . . .
Enjoy, stay fascinated in people's talk and healthy.
Jan van der Brugge

Water birds

I understand wanting to group a batch of birds....so generally I have no problem with water birds as a catch all...

also like to say birds like Kingfishers always live by the water and differentiating them from, long-legged wading birds, gulls and terms, shorebirds etc., brings more clarity to any discussion of birds by water, including the waterfowl

I have another question of the same kind, this one is more related to the habitat:

When referring to a large area covered by reeds, should we write reed beds or reedbeds?

Waterbirds and wildfowl. The former encompasses wildfowl, crakes, rails and I would have thought herons etc, others may have their own opinions. Wildfowl is limited to ducks, geese and swans.

John

Geeting back to this waterbird issue...

I am aware that waterfowl refers mainly to ducks... then there is also wildfowl.

My question now is: are wildfowl and waterfowl one and the same thing, or is there a difference between both words?

My question now is: are wildfowl and waterfowl one and the same thing, or is there a difference between both words?
I guess the tame semi-domesticated bread-eating Mallards in city parks would count as waterfowl, but not wildfowl, as they're not exactly wild :-O

Ditto Mute Swans.

Wildfowl goes along with 'wildfowling' which is all about the shooting of birds for the pot or for pleasure. So an inappropriate word to use these days in birding terms??

I've never used the term at any rate.

Wildfowl goes along with 'wildfowling' which is all about the shooting of birds for the pot or for pleasure. So an inappropriate word to use these days in birding terms??

I've never used the term at any rate.

"Owling" also has a very different meaning for non-birder millennials.

Attachments

• Owling.jpg
    Owling.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back