• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32, First Impressions (1 Viewer)

PS. I wouldn't have much faith in B and H having any 32mm SFs on the 7th April. Maybe I'm over cautious but I wouldn't pay anything up front just yet.

I wouldn’t either. Several years ago they put up for sale the newly announced Leica Retrovids that were to arrive in a few weeks. They held on to my money for over two months before they refunded it back.

Hi Edmund (post #96),

No need to wait, as it’s possible to do at least a front on comparison

The SF 8x32 is listed as 152 mm long x 112 mm wide (at 65 mm IPD), and
The Victory 8x25 as 112 mm x 100 mm (also at 65 mm IPD)

The images used are from the Zeiss website which show the eyecups down
However, when comparing the length to the width of the images, it seems that:
- the SF’s listed length is the maximum with the eyecups up, while
- the Vic’s is the minimum with the eyecups down

So using the widths to scale the images . . .
(if the SF’s length is 152 mm with the eyecups up, it will be 140 mm with them down)

So size wise, the SF 32 is not going to be an easy replacement for the Victory 25
It seems to be at least as long as the the Swarovski EL SV 32 at a listed 138 mm

John

John - thanks. Your reasoning is confirmed by Lee’s photo!
I guess all that remains is the actual pocket test ;)

Edmund

You Sir, are a prince among reviewers :)

Almost coat-pocket sized. Nice focus wheel.

Edmund

Steady-on Edmund, I am sure any of our regular reviewers would have done the same, but thanks for your kind words.

Lee

Last edited:
Just measured the SF 8x32 and it is 150mm with eyecups down. Here is the photo requested with the Victory Pocket alongside the SF.

Lee

Hello, Lee.
Thanks for posting that pic comparing the size of the SF 8x32 vs Victory pocket.
The focusing wheel on the SF looks huge for its size which I like.
Is the focusing wheel on the SF 8x32 as large as the wheel on your 8x42 SF ?

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of 10x32 SF for their lighter weight as I'm getting older and like less weight. :t:
Plus, I've already got 10x42 covered with my HT 10x42.

Hello, Lee.
Thanks for posting that pic comparing the size of the SF 8x32 vs Victory pocket.
The focusing wheel on the SF looks huge for its size which I like.
Is the focusing wheel on the SF 8x32 as large as the wheel on your 8x42 SF ?

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of 10x32 SF for their lighter weight as I'm getting older and like less weight. :t:
Plus, I've already got 10x42 covered with my HT 10x42.

Yes, I have just measured them with dial calipers and the SF32 focus wheel is the same size as SF42.

Lee

Yes, I have just measured them with dial calipers and the SF32 focus wheel is the same size as SF42.

Lee

Thanks for your quick reply and for checking on the adjusting wheel size, Lee.
That would indicate it's also the same size as the wheel on my HT. :cool:
Love the large adjusting wheel on my HT better than any other by far!
That makes the 10x32 SF even more appealing to me. |8)|
Thanks again, Lee. :t:

Photos of SF32

Here are some photos of SF32 from different angles and especially for Pyrtle there is even one with the eyecups screwed out.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_4363 Red.jpg
    IMG_4363 Red.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4364 Red.jpg
    IMG_4364 Red.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4366 Red.jpg
    IMG_4366 Red.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4369 Red.jpg
    IMG_4369 Red.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4372 Red.jpg
    IMG_4372 Red.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 238
Thank you Lee,

Looking forward to your thoughts on ergonomics and view, even though you're not on a far flung island.

Thank you Lee,

Looking forward to your thoughts on ergonomics and view, even though you're not on a far flung island.

Hi Pat

Glad you saw the pic! Looks like good weather for several days so looking forward to more testing.

Lee

Yes, sitting out in the back garden with my SF42mms waiting for a flyover Osprey, hirundine or just chilling.

I will try to obtain more information about SF32's optics and why they are so dramatically different from SF42s

Perhaps because Dr Konrad Seil is no longer alive to design them?

Yes, sitting out in the back garden with my SF42mms waiting for a flyover Osprey, hirundine or just chilling.

I would have expected more birds out in the open, what with spring, but perhaps the eerie calm has unnerved them.

Take care!

The fact the Nikon EDG 8x32 was nearly as heavy and large as the Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL, not to mention even more expensive, may have something to do with it.

Just briefly to say without diverting too much from the Zeiss SF topic of this thread... Nikon EDG are still listed on the UK site. I bought new 7x42 EDG last year. The prices are steep - various models from c. £1,900 - 2,100 but the 8x32 has not been listed for some time.

Tom

Speaking of which, is there a binoculars store in the UK that will stock them and is a sponsor of BF? Or failing that, of the RSPB?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back