• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Birdforum Lockdown List - April and May (3 Viewers)

Duh? Yes, they are split: https://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/finches/ (scroll just over ⅔ of the way down) :t:

These splits are tentative. The notes to each entry emphasise that, especially the statement 'Redpoll taxonomy is unsettled'...

An equally persuasive case can be made for lumping, given that Mason and Taylor 2015 found little to no genetic separation at species level between any Redpoll populations, whether previously considered separable at species level or not.

Either way, there are too many vagaries that don't at all fit with either approach, which means that further work may shed some light one way or the other. Note also that Amouret et al 2016 made a case for morphological separation in most Redpoll taxa, except for the Iceland taxon which they were researching!
MJB
References
Amouret, J, GT Hallgrimsson, Y Kolbeinsson and S Pálsson. 2016. Morphological differentiation of Icelandic Redpolls, Acanthis flammea islandica. Bird Study 63(1): 37-45
Mason, NA and SA Taylor. 2015. Differentially expressed genes match bill morphology and plumage despite largely undifferentiated genomes in a Holarctic songbird. Mol. Ecol.doi: 10.1111/mec.13140

These splits are tentative. The notes to each entry emphasise that, especially the statement 'Redpoll taxonomy is unsettled'...

An equally persuasive case can be made for lumping, given that Mason and Taylor 2015 found little to no genetic separation at species level between any Redpoll populations, whether previously considered separable at species level or not.

Either way, there are too many vagaries that don't at all fit with either approach, which means that further work may shed some light one way or the other. Note also that Amouret et al 2016 made a case for morphological separation in most Redpoll taxa, except for the Iceland taxon which they were researching!
MJB
References
Amouret, J, GT Hallgrimsson, Y Kolbeinsson and S Pálsson. 2016. Morphological differentiation of Icelandic Redpolls, Acanthis flammea islandica. Bird Study 63(1): 37-45
Mason, NA and SA Taylor. 2015. Differentially expressed genes match bill morphology and plumage despite largely undifferentiated genomes in a Holarctic songbird. Mol. Ecol.doi: 10.1111/mec.13140

Yep, true - but IOC currently accept them, and for the purposes of this list, "ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die" 3:)

(well, I hope not from this wretched virus, anyway!)

Had these birds in/over yard since 4/4... not sure what’s new to list.
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Pine Warbler
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Coopers Hawk
Carolina Wren
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Fish Crow
American Crow
Common Raven(yard first)
Turkey Vulture
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal
Brown headed Cowbird
Northern Flicker
House Finch
House Sparrow
Euro Starling
Mourning Dove
American Goldfinch
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
White-breasted Nuthatch
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Here's what I've had so far since Friday night (when my state went on shelter-in-place orders), all at or within walking distance of my house, apologies for the handful that may be repeats for North America:

Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Clapper Rail
Laughing Gull
Herring Gull
Forster's Tern
Royal Tern
Mourning Dove
White-winged Dove
Eastern Screech-Owl
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Merlin
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Tree Swallow
Purple Martin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
House Sparrow

Are one of you guys in N America happy to collate/run a combined total N America list on this thread (Can be done either outside such as bubo/ebird?, a spreadsheet or just totting up on a post)? I'm happy to do UK and Europe, but realise I don't quite have the time for more where I'm not entirely familiar with all groups/lots of entering data. If possible stick to IOC - then that way we can more easily combine/see how we are progressing as a whole World ...

??

Last edited:
Are one of you guys in N America happy to collate/run a combined total N America list on this thread (Can be done either outside such as bubo/ebird?, a spreadsheet or just totting up on a post)? I'm happy to do UK and Europe, but realise I don't quite have the time for more where I'm not entirely familiar with all groups/lots of entering data. If possible stick to IOC - then that way we can more easily combine/see how we are progressing as a whole World ...

??

Sure, I'll tackle it later today and report back.

Found a nice male Common Redstart out on my exercise bike ride this morning (southeast Northumbs), my earliest ever by several days :t:

Passage bird (not a breeding site); near-coastal but not on the coast, about 7 km inland - a good record for the site (justabout annual, but usually August) :t:

Thanks. Curious for several reasons, not least I haven't seen one in north east England before 30th April - though I haven't birded up here much at this time of year for a long long time. As indicated elsewhere, Ive just returned from a three-month trip to Gambia and as the flights were getting cancelled, and my stay there was looking like it was going to extend indefinitely, I began to develop a certain poignancy for European migrants that I knew could still get back north, when I couldn't. I said goodbye to the occasional Wheatear, Whinchat or Osprey I'd been seeing throughout the 'winter' but the very last thing I saw, before the government rescue plane, was a couple of migrant Redstarts on my last day. Interesting to know there was already one as far north as Northumberland by this early stage of the year. I wonder where the two are I saw on that last afternoon?

Thanks. Curious for several reasons, not least I haven't seen one in north east England before 30th April - though I haven't birded up here much at this time of year for a long long time. As indicated elsewhere, Ive just returned from a three-month trip to Gambia and as the flights were getting cancelled, and my stay there was looking like it was going to extend indefinitely, I began to develop a certain poignancy for European migrants that I knew could still get back north, when I couldn't. I said goodbye to the occasional Wheatear, Whinchat or Osprey I'd been seeing throughout the 'winter' but the very last thing I saw, before the government rescue plane, was a couple of migrant Redstarts on my last day. Interesting to know there was already one as far north as Northumberland by this early stage of the year. I wonder where the two are I saw on that last afternoon?
Can't recollect exactly when my previous earliest was, but certainly had them in mid to late April many times before; at a guess, somewhere around 15th. So today's is pretty spectacular for me. There are earlier published records; in recent years, one on 3 April 2017, and historically, the earliest ever 18 March 1968. But the bulk arrival of the majority of the breeding population is typically in the last week of April - I'd guess that would tie in well with your Gambia birds.

Up to 84 now for North America, today I added Chuck-will's Widow and Black-crowned Night Heron.

Canada Goose
Common Merganser
Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Osprey
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
Clapper Rail
Laughing Gull
Herring Gull
Forster's Tern
Royal Tern
Mourning Dove
White-winged Dove
Eastern Screech-Owl
Chuck-will's Widow
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Merlin
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
American Crow
Common Raven
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Tree Swallow
Purple Martin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Wood Thrush
Northern Mockingbird
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Worm-eating Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
American Goldfinch
House Finch
House Sparrow

Sandwich Tern this morning. There were several terns plunge diving on the far side of the estuary but only a couple ventured close enough to my side to positively identify them.

Hello, here is the list of birds I saw from my balcony in Portugal since April 1st:

Common Shelduck
Gadwall
Mallard
Greater Flamingo
Feral pigeon
Common Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Pallid Swift
Black-winged Stilt
Great Skua
Mediterranean Gull
Audouin's Gull
yellow-legged Gull
Lesser Black-backed gull
Sandwich Tern
Balearic Shearwater
White Stork
Northern Gannet
Great Cormorant
Little Egret
Cattle Egret
Glossy Ibis
Eusarian Spoonbill
Black-shouldered Kite
Booted Eagle
Common Buzzard
Hoopoe
Common Kestrel
Woodchat Shrike
Iberian Magpie
Common Magpie
Crested Lark
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
House Martin
Sardinian Warbler
Spotless Starling
Blackbird
House Sparrow
Greenfinch
Linnet
Serin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back