View Single Post
Old Sunday 3rd September 2006, 21:23   #3
ChinaBirds
Nick Sismey

3 September 2006

Now today was one of those birding days I will never forget, it started with my first ever sea cruise out of Bridlington organised by the RSPB on the MVYorkshire Belle. While it had been a wet start to the day it wasn't cold and by the time we all lined up on the north key the sun was out and the sea relatively calm. Befriending Andrea and John in the car park they showed me the ropes and we were soon sailing out into the bay. Straight away I saw a lifer, an Arctic Skua skimming low over the water followed by a Manx Shearwater, which I hadn't seen for 27 years!

349. Arctic Skua*------------Bridlington----------England
350. Manx Shearwater------Bridlington----------England

After checking out a Red Throated Grebe we sailed further out with chum being thrown off the back of the boat attracting another lifer, and the best bird of the trip, a Pomarine Skua, which circled the boat long enough for me to snap up the photo's attached

351. Pomarine Skua*---------Bridlington---------England

While we were out in the bay we picked up Guillemot, Razorbill, Gannet, Shag, Cormorant, Kittiwake, Greater and Lesser Black Backs and Herring Gull plus Common Tern and Scoter, but unfortunately no Sooty Shearwaters. Still I was more than happy when I got back to the harbour!

Next stop was Filey Brigg, where Andrea and John showed me where the Roseate Tern (another lifer) were (there were 29 reported) and we also picked up three Purple Sandpipers!

352. Roseate Tern*-----------Filey Brigg---------England
353. Purple Sandpiper---------Filey Brigg---------England

From there it was a quick stop at Blacktoft Sands where, on a beautiful late summers evening I picked up my final lifer of the day a Curlew Sandpiper which was joined by a Wood Sandpiper, which was my 200th UK bird of the year. This was the first time I had ever seen 200 birds in the UK in one year so was over the moon!

354. Curlew Sandpiper*--------Blacktoft Sands----England

My 201st UK bird was a Spotted Crake a little later from another hide. When I arrived at 1830 one guy said he had been there since 1330 and that the bird had not been seen since 0730. There had been a hide full of people all afternoon but no sign of the bird and so the numbers had now reduced to just three other birders. For him it was a lifer which had continually eluded him during many attempts. At 1835 the bird showed, he was ecstatic, and so was I as I had only had to wait for 5 minutes! That is just so typical of birding!

355. Spotted Crake-------------Blacktoft Sands----England
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pomarine1.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	57432  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pomarine2.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	57433  

Last edited by ChinaBirds : Monday 4th September 2006 at 19:26.