• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BX1 problem (1 Viewer)

Sawtelle

Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own. Sorry for my terrible description - I'm a newbie : )
What do you folks think? This can't be normal. Seller (ebay) does not list a return policy, but does have great feedback. After having a nice pair for a few days, I would miss them if I send them back, but this seems like a significant problem.

Last edited:
Called Leupold, left a message. Spoke to the vendor, he will replace them, so that's very cool. I am curious what the problem is, maybe Leupold will know when they call back.

I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.

I'm going to have to disagree with henry link in this case. He's usually a top expert but I humbly think he missed it on this one.

Your binocs are clearly haunted. :eek!:

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.

Yeah, that's the theory I'm currently endorsing : ) Wish Leupold called me back, would love to hear their take on it. I am at over 1 mile in elevation, so there's that. However lots of binos go to much higher elevation without this problem. My replacements should be here tomorrow, hope they don't do this. I grab them quite often, it's a pain to have to re-focus every time.

Last edited:
If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.

The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0949.JPG
    DSCN0949.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 234
If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.

I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob |=)| Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?

I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob |=)| Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?

Focuser stiffness is largely a matter of taste; a stiffer focuser (but still with smoothness) will help to achieve accurate focus, while a less stiff focuser makes it easier to quickly change the focus. My experience is mostly with Nikon and Zeiss binoculars, and I have found that Nikon focusers tend to be stiffer than Zeiss.

However, I think most birders would be annoyed with a focuser that moves without being asked. I'm very interested to hear what the cause turns out to be. I don't think the Yosemites have enough of a seal to somehow contain high pressure air, since their focusing mechanism involves moving external parts on the binocular. And on top of that, you reported a loose focusing action, so I can't imagine that the binoculars are sealed well enough to hold in high pressure air. But this is speculation and only taking the binocular apart would confirm the cause.

Last edited:
The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry

Mine are waterproof, whether they are N2 purged I dont know, but in numerous nights left sitting on the table on the deck in heavy dew and rain they have never fogged.

Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own.

Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF! :hi:

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted

Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF! :hi:

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted

When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Last edited:
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.

Yep...yesterday was 50th in line at a pacific time of 3pm. I called this morning at 7am (pacific time & tech service hours) and was 2nd in line, with a tech responding 30 seconds later! ;)

Leupold is kind of like the DMV in some ways. The earlier you get there, the less time you are there. Leupold service calls line up pretty fast. Call early. I don't know if the service call volume is a good thing or a bad thing.

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Their proprietary gas is probably 78% N2

New ones showed up today, I have to forget the habit of turning the focus knob before they get to my eyes! The first ones didn't have the problem immediately (seems like the knob "loosened up" a bit after a day or two), but this pair seems good so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back