• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your pick btw 8x32, 8x42, 8.5x42? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

So if you could only have one between the Swarovski Swarovski 8x32 EL32, Swarovski 8x42 SLC or the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL42 what one would you get?

Seems all have there strong points and weak ones but at the end of the day what one would you pocket?

Wish birdforum had a poll option for this :news:
Thanks
Dan

I've owned all except the 8.5x42, which I have had the chance to use on numerous occasions. I would pick either the 8.5x42 SV or the 8x42 SLC; I'd let ergonomics and cost sway you in the right direction... both models are fantastic and on a very similar level, optically.

The 8x32, while great ergonomically and optically, had a lot of issues (for me) with glare...

That being said, if you get a chance to try them, do that before you can buy given how much you're spending, regardless of the model you select.

I've owned all except the 8.5x42, which I have had the chance to use on numerous occasions. I would pick either the 8.5x42 SV or the 8x42 SLC; I'd let ergonomics and cost sway you in the right direction... both models are fantastic and on a very similar level, optically.

The 8x32, while great ergonomically and optically, had a lot of issues (for me) with glare...

That being said, if you get a chance to try them, do that before you can buy given how much you're spending, regardless of the model you select.

Thanks for your input :t:

So if you could only have one between the Swarovski Swarovski 8x32 EL32, Swarovski 8x42 SLC or the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL42 what one would you get?

Seems all have there strong points and weak ones but at the end of the day what one would you pocket?

Wish birdforum had a poll option for this :news:
Thanks
Dan

If I could only have one** , it would be the 8x42 SLC.

** Fortunately Switzerland does not regulate (yet) the maximum number of binos one can have, so I enjoy having more than one (in fact all of those named, and a few).
My choice does NOT indicate that I find the SLC optically superior to the EL, but is based on the sum of all qualities, including size, handling, price etc. etc.

Last edited:
If I could only have one** , it would be the 8x42 SLC.

** Fortunately Switzerland does not regulate (yet) the maximum number of binos one can have, so I enjoy having more than one (in fact all of those named, and a few).
My choice does NOT indicate that I find the SLC optically superior than the EL, but is based on the sum of all qualities, including size, handling, price etc. etc.

I can't imagine anyone anywhere that would regulate the maximum number of binos one can have, that's funny ;)

For birding??

If so....

I've compared the three all Spring even until now. As you say each has their strong points. It depends some on your typical birding situation. ALSO depends if you are wanting ONE binocular to do everything from Florida to Oregon and everywhere in between which is somewhat of a compromise.

For ME where I normally bird...the SV 8X32 is my first choice. I'd put the SLC 8X42 as #2.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 479
For birding??

If so....

I've compared the three all Spring even until now. As you say each has their strong points. It depends some on your typical birding situation. ALSO depends if you are wanting ONE binocular to do everything from Florida to Oregon and everywhere in between which is somewhat of a compromise.

For ME where I normally bird...the SV 8X32 is my first choice. I'd put the SLC 8X42 as #2.

That's a clear firsthand experience that speaks volumes :t:
How do you compare it to the Kowa 8.5x44 and do you miss it?
I'm thinking the weight was the final verdict, I had the Kowa 10.5x44 and the heft was it's demises but it haunts me how good they are and there control of CA was amazing.
I do love the size format of the Swarovski EL 8x32 and what you carry is what you use and the 32 dose that well with a tings of joy I could image.

Thanks very much
Dan

Hows the CA with the 8.5?
thanks
Dan

As CA free as anything I`v owned or tried, honestly, in FPro guise it simply does`nt have an area where the performance is weak, or if it does I haven`t found it after nearly two years Birding with it in all conditions, and its the first binocular I can state that about, and I`v owned Zeiss fl`s, Leica Ultravids and the legendary Nikon SE and EII.

As CA free as anything I`v owned or tried, honestly, in FPro guise it simply does`nt have an area where the performance is weak, or if it does I haven`t found it after nearly two years Birding with it in all conditions, and its the first binocular I can state that about, and I`v owned Zeiss fl`s, Leica Ultravids and the legendary Nikon SE and EII.

Great review of the 8.5 something to ponder
Dan

For birding??

If so....

Ditto on the SV 8x32.....I find it interesting on how many comment on glare with the SV 8x32's. I've been using mine for the last few years in South Dakota in the prairie dogs towns, about the worst possible condition for glare and have not found it much of an issue.

That's a clear firsthand experience that speaks volumes :t:
How do you compare it to the Kowa 8.5x44 and do you miss it?
I'm thinking the weight was the final verdict, I had the Kowa 10.5x44 and the heft was it's demises but it haunts me how good they are and there control of CA was amazing.
I do love the size format of the Swarovski EL 8x32 and what you carry is what you use and the 32 dose that well with a tings of joy I could image.

Thanks very much
Dan

Kowa- I don't miss it. I still have one used very little. I haven't picked it up in months. For ME the SV 8.5X42 was much better....FOV, weight, size, edge to edge performance are all in the SVs favor.

Yep...the SV 8X32 has many attributes...with the RYUL harness one really hardly notices they even have a binocular. Handling...it's up there..very instinctive. 420ft FOV and clear edge to edge. Plenty of ER for most eyeglass wearers too.

So I was in a similar position. I was tossing up between the 32 and 42 EL's. The 32 give away very little optically to the 42, and are in a smaller package. I hate hiking with the 42mm due to the bino harnesses cutting in to the shoulders. Also travelling with the 32mm allows easier packing. There is a bit of a glare issue with the 32s but i have been using winged eye cups, and with it, glare hasn't really caused many problems for me. Good luck and enjoy :)

I had terrible glare issues with my 8x32's as well. I bought them intending to take them on safari in Africa. I sent them back and took the Tract Torics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back