• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The north east wales coast. (1 Viewer)

Ant

North Wales birder
I started at the Gronant, where I saw plenty of skylarks, my first ever ringed plover, large numbers of comorant, oystercatcher, and my target species for the day, little tern. I was also informed of a dead dolpin on the beach, but i never had chance to go see as the tide was coming in fast.

I then went on to point of ayr, where there was a large number of shelduck, 100's of gulls and oystercatchers, one wheatear seen, numous house martins and swallows, skylarks also about too, along with curlew well hidden in the saltmarsh plants, there was probably a whimbrel in there somwhere. a kestrel was hovering next to the gas termanal.

I then stopped off at flint castle, where a kestrel was perched on some metal on the edge of the esturay, whilst plenty of terns where flying up and down, some perched on a boat on the saltmarsh, but too far off to get exact ID.

Attachments

• ringed plover.jpg
    ringed plover.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 32
  • tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well done Ant

Great pics and a great trip plenty of wading ,Sea and high flying birds with the BOP thrown in. Again you should definetly enter young wildlife photographer of the year your pics are great

Thanks Ross,
I'll look into entering the young wildlife photographer compitition.
It was a rather dull day so I was having trouble with photographing the birds, I only got the plover as It was at my feet.

Great pics Ant :clap: , wish I could see a plover close to my feet!!! Sounds as though you had a very good day, sad about the Dolphin though!

Thanks for sharing your day with us all :t:

Hi Ant,
Great photos, and a great day too by the sound of it! and to get so close to the Ringed Plover! well done Ant.
All the best, Judo.

Nice pics Ant. Your pics are getting better all the time. Says he who has yet to produce one on BF! LOL I especially like the Ringed Plover.

Playing 'spot the Whimbrel' is not easy. I have always found a Whimbrel is 'obviously different' once you have found it. Finding it is the hard bit. I was watching Terns myself today, of the Common kind. Terns are difficult not to watch I think. The different species each have their own fishing technique. Just wished I could 'flippin' remember them. Think i will make that tomorrows reading!

Keep going but not to fast!!! (you know wot I mean ;) )

Beautiful photos Ant. Sounds like a good day out too, apart from the poor Dolphin, far too many of their deaths too. Your Ringed Plover was a beauty, especially with the sand setting, makes a great change.

Hi Ant,

Nice photos, especially the Plover; among my favourites they are, always look so neat.

Sounds like a good day out, and with at least one 'lifer', who can grumble?

Keep it going, the photography is coming on a treat.

Cheers, Bill

brianfm said:
Nice pics Ant. Your pics are getting better all the time. Says he who has yet to produce one on BF! LOL I especially like the Ringed Plover.

Playing 'spot the Whimbrel' is not easy. I have always found a Whimbrel is 'obviously different' once you have found it. Finding it is the hard bit. I was watching Terns myself today, of the Common kind. Terns are difficult not to watch I think. The different species each have their own fishing technique. Just wished I could 'flippin' remember them. Think i will make that tomorrows reading!

Keep going but not to fast!!! (you know wot I mean ;) )

Yes Bri, I know what you mean.
i wonder if different species of tern can be told appart by how agressive they are?

Last edited:
Pam, kits, judo, renée and sue,

Thanks for you comments on the photos, I'm sure I'll have even better ones later in the year.

bill moss said:
Hi Ant,

Nice photos, especially the Plover; among my favourites they are, always look so neat.

Sounds like a good day out, and with at least one 'lifer', who can grumble?

Keep it going, the photography is coming on a treat.

Cheers, Bill

Hi bill,

If it hadn't been such a dull day, I could of got lots of good pics.

As for lifers, you cant grumble at one, but 2, well what can I say?

Britner said:
i wonder if different species of tern can be told appart by how agressive they are?

Well, certainly Common and Arctic Terns are notably aggressive at their breeding sites, dive bombing anything/one who intrudes. You go onto a nesting site, such as the Farne Islands, without a hat, very much at your peril. The Terns will often draw blood. May go to Farnes this summer. Musn't forget 'me' hat.

brianfm said:
Well, certainly Common and Arctic Terns are notably aggressive at their breeding sites, dive bombing anything/one who intrudes. You go onto a nesting site, such as the Farne Islands, without a hat, very much at your peril. The Terns will often draw blood. May go to Farnes this summer. Musn't forget 'me' hat.

Acually, I think I should carry an umbalella in a tern colany.

Britner said:
Thanks chris,
I see you havent posted any pics for a while now, surly you havent given up on photography?

No, not at all! I'll have to get some uploaded sometime you're right.

Hi Ant Great pics from a great birding site one of my favourite areas, especially The Point of Ayre. The RSPB run high tide bird watches from there, think there is one this month. Have you visited the Tern Colony up by Prestatyn iys well wortyh a visit in the nesting season, its almost opposite those fans out on the banks off shore.

Good Birding PeterK

PeterK said:
Hi Ant Great pics from a great birding site one of my favourite areas, especially The Point of Ayre. The RSPB run high tide bird watches from there, think there is one this month. Have you visited the Tern Colony up by Prestatyn iys well wortyh a visit in the nesting season, its almost opposite those fans out on the banks off shore.

Good Birding PeterK
Hi peter,
I got the pic of the tern and ringed plover from the Gronant, which is where the tern colony you mention is, I'll have to go back later in the year when the colony is in full spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back