• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal Tit Box (1 Viewer)

Mary

Does anyone have a successful coal tit nest box? I put one up this year but it wasn't used. Mind, I only see them in winter on the feeders. Should it have an open approach like blue tits need, or can it be within a conifer? And at what sort of height?
cheers
Mary

About to put about 160 boxes or so in a woodland I have and hope to get a pair or two Coal Tits. As I understand, they are regular but less frequent users of boxes. Essentually like a box size of Blue Tit, but could benefit from a hole only 25 mm, as this could prevent other species taking it over. As for where, Timmy's post shows anywhere is possible, but I think a box in a conifer stands a slightly better chance - if there is an isolated conifer in an otherwise deciduous woodland, this is the spot to put your box.
However, if Coalie is visiting your garden through the winter, keep your fingers crossed ...they can suss out the site during the winter and maybe will stay on to breed

robshreeve said:
hi i,m new to this can anyone tell me how i can get sizes and dimensions for different types of nest boxes
I have found this book particularly helpful. This book has been re-released now so a new version with more info and instruction is available but is twice the cost.

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/dev/shop/products_details.php?cID=37&sub=40&pID=458

I search the internet myself through google along with looking at books in stores and bird fairs. Any bird in particular you were struggling with?

many thanks elizabeth and stephen great info there trying to introduce various boxes into a local park hoping to attract some visitors

Jos Stratford said:
Also think this BTO Nestboxes book is a good little guide - lots of information, including requirements for all the individual species ...and for just £3.50 you can't go wrong!

Errrrmmm!! See post 8 about this.

From the BTO website:

1. The BTO Nestbox Guide is a completely new book, containing everything you ever wanted to know about nestboxes. The 77 pages are packed with useful information on how to provide homes for birds, with excellent colour photographs and artwork.

2. The BTO Nestbox Guide can be obtained for £8.99 (including p&p) from BTO Boxes, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU. Cheques should be made to BTO Services Ltd.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Errrrmmm!! See post 8 about this.

From the BTO website:

1. The BTO Nestbox Guide is a completely new book, containing everything you ever wanted to know about nestboxes. The 77 pages are packed with useful information on how to provide homes for birds, with excellent colour photographs and artwork.

2. The BTO Nestbox Guide can be obtained for £8.99 (including p&p) from BTO Boxes, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU. Cheques should be made to BTO Services Ltd.

The old version is still available for £3.45 ...or, at least was about a month ago when I bought it (and is still advertised on the link provided). Maybe the new book is better, but the old seems excellent to me :)

Jos Stratford said:
The old version is still available for £3.45 ...or, at least was about a month ago when I bought it (and is still advertised on the link provided). Maybe the new book is better, but the old seems excellent to me :)

Oops! - sorry Jos. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back