• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF: the waiting begins (1 Viewer)

temmie

After a brief talk with the Zeiss rep, he did mention that a x32 SF is in the works so that was interesting to hear they are committed to that size.

posted 17th of May 2019.

Nothing official and thus a rumour at best, but I have not too much doubt this one is being developed at the very moment.

Any updates are welcome, but I hope the binocular doesn't come too fast so I have some time to fill up the piggy bank! o:)

Put me down for one. Even though I have the 8x32 SV. I will try any new alpha as long as it's flat field and has a big FOV. Let's see an SF 8x32 should at least have a 450 foot FOV with sharp edges. Yummy. I will probably wait till they get the bugs out of it and come out with the black version. Since 10x32 is my favorite format anymore I would prefer a 10x32 SF with a 370 foot FOV and a sub 20 oz. weight.

Last edited:
posted 17th of May 2019.

Nothing official and thus a rumour at best, but I have not too much doubt this one is being developed at the very moment.

Any updates are welcome, but I hope the binocular doesn't come too fast so I have some time to fill up the piggy bank! o:)

I believe it when I see it.

But if they are starting to leak info, the release should be pretty soon.

posted 17th of May 2019.

No need to worry - it's been on the way for over half a dozen years .....
See this thread here (and search it for "32") https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=284346
Also see the many threads where it was 'imminent' etc
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=339528
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=357854
You can even have a crack at 50mm's https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=333863

And like Dennis said, you'd need to give it 3 years after release for them to get all the bugs and shoddy design (blue rings, Wetzlar wobbles - or will that be the Oberkochen Oopsies now? :), duff materials and parts supply out of the system ....

Rumour has it that Zeiss will put HT glass in the x32 FL's first to be rebadged as the x32HT, but they're in no hurry for that change either !

Patience, patience, patients .......... :-O

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
The difference is: This is the first time I hear about a representative confirming it is coming.

Before this, in other topics, I only read about representatives saying 'maybe' and still referring to the T*FL being in production, if someone was interested in a x32 model.

The difference is: This is the first time I hear about a representative confirming it is coming.

Before this, in other topics, I only read about representatives saying 'maybe' and still referring to the T*FL being in production, if someone was interested in a x32 model.

I know for sure the 32 SF is on the way... because I've just got myself the FL! (But second hand, at a good price and from a very good source.)

Tom

I would think there has never been any doubt that Zeiss has been working on a successor of the x32FL models. Whether they will be called SF at the end, is a different matter.

But one thing is certain, the successors will be considerably more expensive. As for me, the 8x32 FL fits my needs very well. And I'm only hoping I get it before Zeiss decides to stop producing it. (They need to make potential users lusting for a model, don't they?)

Marketing

The FL seems to do fine. Why change it? I'd bring back the 7x42 instead.

Hello Sebzwo,

I think that there may be two arguments at Zeiss' marketing gurus: that modern coating have made 32 mm binoculars more popular and that a new product will drive sales.

Who knows for sure?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

It will be interesting to see who designs these since the unfortunate demise of Dr. Konrad Seil.

Konnie Seil was the optical designer of SF, and Werner Maier-Wendt dealt with the mechanics while the company KISKA handled the external design. With the move of development to Oberkochen there are more designers/engineers available to Sports Optics so, yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.

As to why FL32 should be superceded at all when it performs so well, at least one reason is that its external appearance, with those heavy bars of rubber on the armour, harks back to the look of the Dialyts which means to many the FL looks even older than it is. In addition the fov of the 8x is 140m but that of SF8x42 is 148m so FL8x32 is out of step with Zeiss's premium 42mm.

None of these factors take away anything from the actual performance of FL but it is surely enough for the product planners at Zeiss to want a fresh premium 32mm on the shelves that looks as though it belongs to the same family as the rest of the Zeiss bino models and not something left over from an earlier era.

Lee

I'd personally prefer exactly some Zeiss "heritage" look with just new glass and coatings and such over any sexy curves.

I'd personally prefer exactly some Zeiss "heritage" look with just new glass and coatings and such over any sexy curves.
I prefer sexy curves ! :)

The ribbed "heritage" look does have a certain black and white, private detective, trench coat, tilted hat, drizzly steetscape, and you just know she's going to be trouble - smoldering dame, appealing look about it though ......

Shouldn't be an either/ or, proposition for a 'major' binocular maker :cat:

Chosun :gh:

As to why FL32 should be superceded at all when it performs so well, at least one reason is that its external appearance, with those heavy bars of rubber on the armour, harks back to the look of the Dialyts which means to many the FL looks even older than it is. In addition the fov of the 8x is 140m but that of SF8x42 is 148m so FL8x32 is out of step with Zeiss's premium 42mm.

It's also got the fiberglass-polymer body, which is a marketing disadvantage when the market expects magnesium.

I wonder if they will reverse the SP Prisms in the 8x32 SF like they did in 42mm SFs? That will have an effect on their design. I would also expect a significantly wider FOV.

Otherwise what is the reason for a major overhaul of an already excellent 8x32? You can always improve the coatings and tweak the eye pieces to get a little longer ER.

Bob

It's also got the fiberglass-polymer body, which is a marketing disadvantage when the market expects magnesium.

The weight saving from that fiberglass-polymer body is significant when the binocular is using Abbe-Konig prisms.

My 7x42 Victory with AK prisms is about 1/2 pound lighter than my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B and Leica 7x42 Trinovid with their SP prisms.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back