View Single Post
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 21:48   #7
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I have both the 8X and 10X Ziess SF and think they are a solid product.

Some of the concern may be due to the fact that Zeiss uses a composite material for the eye cups rather than metal and so the thought of plastic comes to mind. I like the composite approach better because if it is dropped on the eye cup, the eye cup is more likely to break without damaging the eye piece threads compared to using metal. Then it is just a matter of removing the old eye cup, calling Zeiss for a replacement, and then screwing in the replacement a few days later. Damaged eye piece threads means sending it in for repair. Lee put together a nice write on replacing eye cups that also applies to the Conquest.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=336799

I've have no concerns about the build quality. Any issues would most likely show up at the time of purchase. All manufacturers can have failures but I do not see the SF as being any more trouble prone as the others. If an issue does come up, Zeiss is good on getting it fixed.
How many times have you dropped your binoculars on the eye cups and had to replace them? I have never dropped any of my binoculars. An eye cup get's used a lot going in and out and in my experience metal will last longer and is smoother because it can me machined more precisely to closer tolerances. I will take metal eye cups and a magnesium body on my binocular over plastic any day.

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 16th November 2017 at 21:53.