• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (1 Viewer)

Just uploaded three new SX60 pics to my gallery:

1. California Ground Squirrel (simple, short range)
  2. Northern Harrier (admitedly, this one isn't the greatest due to the range, lighting, and movement)
  3. Snowy Egret (-1.3 EC, probably would have looked better and been more recoverable in Photoshop with -1.0 EC)

I will admit that pixel-peeping the images does have alot more noise (an even, Gaussian type of noise) than I would expect, even at good ISOs. I haven't tried turning-off the NR, and I've yet to try RAW.

Well I have to admit I found myself longing for the SX60's EVF today. On a CBC we had 4 Brown Boobies, a review list bird here They were ridiculously far away, just bobbing in choppy water, hard to see even with a scope (new Svarovsky) All I could do was shoot everything that even resembled a bird and hope for the best; ended up with a couple hundred shots of Brown Pelicans....and a "shitty but lucky" one of two of the Boobies flying away; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cj9d89cgrqlb1xe/AABIlrdDbyNHu6Lh1iCRfV7Ea?dl=0

It was very frustrating, cause I could locate the birds (ok, blobs!) with binoculars but not with the camera....and the bins are only 10x, compared to the SX50's 50x optics.

Don't feel bad mzettie, even with the 65x on the SX60, sometimes I'm shooting "some white bouncing dot" only to find it's a beautiful Bufflehead or something. At ranges like 40x and up it's just digiscoping without the scope, and it yields "surprises" quite often...usually that "something boring" is "something wonderful."

Don't feel bad mzettie, even with the 65x on the SX60, sometimes I'm shooting "some white bouncing dot" only to find it's a beautiful Bufflehead or something. At ranges like 40x and up it's just digiscoping without the scope, and it yields "surprises" quite often...usually that "something boring" is "something wonderful."

Thanks for the consoling words, Kevin. I've definitely had my share of "surprises" while trying to get those impossible shots, some even resulted in records. Just wish the EVF was half as capable as the lens....seems ridiculous to not even be able to find the blob you want to shoot.

Still more from my last outing with the SX60 (think my girlfriend and I photographed 18 species that day). Granted, I had the exposure compensation too low, so these needed a bit more post work than I prefer, but thought they came out rather nice:

• Willet. Probably my second-favorite photo of the outing, which surprises even me since Willets in winter garb are rather dull from afar. But I rather like the feather detail and setting.
  • Black Phoebe. Likely my favorite shot of the outing, very striking for a simple two-tone bird.
  • Black-Necked Stilt. This is where the range of the camera starts being fun, at the 50m+ range...this was about the practical limit of my digiscoping setup for clear photos, much less anything as good as this Stilt photo.

I will admit the slight graininess is bugging me somewhat, but I figure it's a side-effect of the smaller sensor at the larger megapixel count. I'll have to agree with some that maybe sticking to a 12MP sensor would have made more sense. Though I imagine the 16MP does help when you start using the digital teledapter settings (not used here, these shots are all optical zoom).

But I can't argue with the reach, nice EVF, great detail of capture, good featureset. Some day we'll see cameras like these with physically bigger sensors and we'll all just pass-out from excitement. :)

I really want to get out and photograph my White-Tailed Kites, which are the perfect long-range reference since I've photographed them so much at 50-100m.

My last three photos (Great Egret, Yellowlegs, American Coot) I hope to post tomorrow.

Last edited:
4 pics taken yesterday

Attachments

• chat.jpg
    chat.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 162
  • wag2IMG_9763.JPG
    wag2IMG_9763.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 148
  • wagt.jpg
    wagt.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 175
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 152
And the last three I promised. All taken with a bit too much exposure compensation (EC -1.3), "rescued" in Photoshop.

• Greater Yellowlegs. Probably my other "most favorite" shot from this outing. I thought the highlight capture, despite a little too much on the exposure compensation, came out well...pretty good highlights for this class of sensor and the horrible, glary, partly-cloud, low-sun-angle conditions.
  • Great Egret. Not the most stellar photo ever of a BiF, but at least proof-of-concept that the camera can and I can. Big bird with flapping wings frozen with good clarity. My girlfriend and I have been intentionally practicing on flying birds and we're both getting alot better and tracking them and firing-off more useful bursts.
  • American Coot. I love this photo, especially since we'd never seen a Coot out of water before.

A few more

Love my new SX60, I know I'm a novice and it's not a DSLR but I'm getting shots I'm Really pleased with. Should get even better when the sun comes out!

Greenfinch (4).JPG

Robin (1).JPG

Great tit (1).JPG

House Sparrow (4).JPG

Last edited:
Some day we'll see cameras like these with physically bigger sensors and we'll all just pass-out from excitement.
No chance.

Bigger sensors mean bigger lenses, and there's no getting round that.
For example, with a 1" sensor, you are looking at a Nikon 1 V2 with a Sigma 50-500 on the front of it, and good luck carrying that round all day (to say nothing of the cost).

Be happy with what you've got, and hope for better ISO/noise and IS on the next version.

No chance.

Bigger sensors mean bigger lenses, and there's no getting round that.
For example, with a 1" sensor, you are looking at a Nikon 1 V2 with a Sigma 50-500 on the front of it, and good luck carrying that round all day (to say nothing of the cost).

Be happy with what you've got, and hope for better ISO/noise and IS on the next version.
I agree about the weight increase. I wonder what the noise levels would be like if they used the same sensor technology as the top DSLRs.

I agree about the weight increase. I wonder what the noise levels would be like if they used the same sensor technology as the top DSLRs.

True enough. I was only being wistful anyway.

I wonder though, a good example of an "impossible" camera to me is the Sony RX100 Mk III...a pocket camera with a high-quality sensor, good glass, good aperture and something a seasoned professional can respect the image quality of.

Of course, that would make this theoretical "Canon SX100" something like $1200 I guess...still a good price compared to getting 1350mm from a MFT or DSLR. Would become a niche camera and if they didn't get it perfect it would fail hard.

So realistically, probably have to hope the sensor itself improves over time, and the processing and interpretation on-camera improves. Probably can hope for incremental improvements in the lenses themselves as well.

The good news is, the more I use the SX60 outside of the auto modes, the better the images get. Just comes with some lousy default settings for birding.

There is additional juice to be squeezed from the imaging sensors.
Afaik, Canon still uses 300 nanometer design rules for their sensors, while Samsung is offering a 65 nm for their latest NX-1 camera.
The Samsung sensor adds copper rather than aluminum wiring (less resistance) and BSI (Back Side Illumination), so the sensor side of the chip is opposite the wiring side, which makes more space available for light to come through.
The sensor improvements will primarily translate to less noise and better low light sensitivity, zoom is already not far from optical limits.

It may be worth noting that Canon recently stated that their policy was to buy the best sensors available, regardless of provenance. So Canon is willing to buy Sony or Samsung sensors if they are better.

Of course, that would make this theoretical "Canon SX100" something like $1200 I guess...still a good price compared to getting 1350mm from a MFT or DSLR. Would become a niche camera and if they didn't get it perfect it would fail hard.
I'll have to point out that the SX100 has already been and gone. After the SX90, they'll have to come up with a new model name.

Hi Guys
If the SX 60 is not pushed to its limits - is image quality noticably better at lower magnifications (say, for example, at 30X)? I suppose I am asking - does it have, under optimal conditions, a 'best' optical magnification.
Also, if a prime 400mm lens gives approx 12X with a 1.6 crop sensor, how would the SX 60 at the equivalent magnification compare (again in good lighting conditions).

Many thanks
Jont

Also, if a prime 400mm lens gives approx 12X with a 1.6 crop sensor, how would the SX 60 at the equivalent magnification compare (again in good lighting conditions).

Many thanks
Jont
Magnification is not really the right term here.
A 400mm lens is always 400mm but if you put it on a 1.6 Crop Camera then the Camera will crop it to give a field of view (full frame equivalent) = to 640mm (400 x1.6).
On the SX60 the max lens focal length is 247mm so it is always going to be 247mm but because of the tiny sensor it has a crop factor of 5.52 so it gives a field of view (full frame equivalent) = to 1365mm (247 x 5.52).
The same field of view as the SX60 can be achieved with a 400mm lens on a 1.6x crop sensor by just cropping heavily yourself.

To give you an idea here is a full frame shot taken with the 7D (1.6x crop) and 420mm focal length so 420 * 1.6 = 672mm field of view (full frame equivalent). a 100% crop gives a field of view = to just over 4000mm (full frame equivalent).

Attachments

• rp2_full.jpg
    rp2_full.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 151
  • rp2 - 100 crop v2.jpg
    rp2 - 100 crop v2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 165
Yes - thanks Roy.
I always like to think of the magnification in terms of binoculars and telescopes (of which I frequently use) - I know it's a bit 'rough and ready', but it gives me a bit of an indication of the reach in a way that I can best understand it......I think the 400mm image (X 1.6) is like looking through 12X binos......
Jont

Users who are viewing this thread

Back