• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New wifi router. How to input the new password on my laptop? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Situation is.......
Virgin gave me a new router. The engineer changed the password on my phone and my laptop.
For some reason, after 2 months, the laptop has forgotten the new password and is only showing the old defunct one. (Phone is fine).
I cannot find a way to put the new one back in.
BTW....I click on the symbol at the bottom and it show a list of all wifi in my range but only my old one.....not the new one.
It must be simple ut I dont know how.
Any ideas please.
Also.....the engineer has given me a paper. On it is a sequence of numbers prefixed with VN. The other is a sequence of letters....one is captal.....and one is a number.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi David, try turning your router off and on again. It should be the strongest signal so should appear at the top of the list of available networks you see when clicking the symbol on your laptop screen. Click on that network and when you click on "connect" you should have the opportunity to put in the password. Your wifi password should be on a label on the router somewhere.

Dave

Hi David, try turning your router off and on again. It should be the strongest signal so should appear at the top of the list of available networks you see when clicking the symbol on your laptop screen. Click on that network and when you click on "connect" you should have the opportunity to put in the password. Your wifi password should be on a label on the router somewhere.

Dave
Thanks. I have tried that without success. Still shows only the defunct number.

Hi David..... gawd what a pain!!!

Sounds like you need to get in touch with Virgin now, if what t'other Dave suggested hasn't worked.

They may be able to suggest something.

Yes..looking that way. I really thought there would be a simple fix......like there was in the 60s when the phone box gave problems :)

Situation is.......
Virgin gave me a new router. The engineer changed the password on my phone and my laptop.
For some reason, after 2 months, the laptop has forgotten the new password and is only showing the old defunct one. (Phone is fine).
I cannot find a way to put the new one back in.
BTW....I click on the symbol at the bottom and it show a list of all wifi in my range but only my old one.....not the new one.
It must be simple ut I dont know how.
Any ideas please.
Also.....the engineer has given me a paper. On it is a sequence of numbers prefixed with VN. The other is a sequence of letters....one is captal.....and one is a number.
Thanks

I'm with Virgin,
the VN number (VM on mine) is the network that belongs to you, the alpha numeric underneath is the password e.g mine starts with fsn7txf.......etc

A

Last edited:
Its Windows 8.
Now this is weird. Grandson is home from uni and was goingto check it over. I switched it on and.....bingo!!! Its come back. Didnt have time to check the mouse but wifi seems to be back.

How far is the router from your devices?

At my home, my tv will sometimes struggle to pick up the wifi signal as it's three rooms away. If you do have an issue like this, you can buy a signal booster.

I'm expecting a new router to arrive in the next couple of days. I'll keep my finger crossed that I don't have a similar experience. I just got a new tablet and it wouldn't connect to the router until I called tech support and they talked me through the necessary steps.

My new router arrived today and it was simplicity itself to hook up and get running. All I had to do was plug in the power supply then transfer the cables. I had to phone my service provider to activate the new unit and that was amazingly quick. Not sure if there is any improvement in the service but time will make that clearer.

David, did you get this resolved? Have you tried contacting Virgin and seeing if they could assist with the issue?

Sort of :)
As per my last post, before my Grandson had chance to look at it, it decided to come back to life on it's own accord.
The mouse problem was sorted.........Grandson tried it on his and it refused to respond. I bought a new mouse (£8.50) and that is working find.
So............I have no idea why the laptop decided to stop communicating with the router or why it then decided to start again. I am now "leaving well alone" and hoping it does not happen again.
Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back