• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

issue with Meostar 8x32 (1 Viewer)

oracleman

Hi,
I have a Meostar 8x32 which I purchased one year ago. It worked perfect, I think is (by long) the better binocular I used.

But.. a week ago appeared a drop on one tube. I cleaned a bit with the little towel provided with the binoculars but no luck, it's on the inside part of the tube :(

I attached the image for your consideration.

prismaticos_mini.jpg

Would you make use of the warranty? I think that should be. What worries me is that the local Meopta dealer say that the shipment is not covered and it costs 50€ (!!) to send to Czech Republic from Spain. What do you think about it? Have you experiences similar to this one?

Thanks in advance

I would contact Meopta and request they organise a pre paid courier pick up as it's under warranty.
P

Send them proof of purchase, retailer's receipt with your e mail, together with photographs and copy of stamped warranty card.

Last edited:
The entire ocular lens looks excessively marked in your photo; is this on the inside or the outside surface? If it is on the outside, then Meopta may assume that you don't maintain your instrument as well as perhaps you should so I would give them a good - and careful - clean before sending them back!

RB

The entire ocular lens looks excessively marked in your photo; is this on the inside or the outside surface? If it is on the outside, then Meopta may assume that you don't maintain your instrument as well as perhaps you should so I would give them a good - and careful - clean before sending them back!

RB

I'm afraid RB is quite correct, they look to have various marks on the surface, could be anything from eyelash grease to moisture droplets. You should have a lens clensing kit that at minimum should include a solution, microfibre cloth and blowing brush and carefully follow a good guide, inverting the ocular when blowing clean. Also gently cleanse and rub in a circular motion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAx6BAgLEAs&usg=AOvVaw1OfCkCRxW1Ea9TLCREpRZA

Last edited:
Dirty oculars would have nothing to do with the internal spot, and no optics company of any repute could possibly complain about dirty [exterior] ocular glass, IMO.

They get this way from use and sometimes constant wiping and cleaning isn't the best thing for ocular coatings.

Be serene James, it just is polite to show some care in looking after one's important items if they're in for attention. A bit like quickly cleaning the car before its annual service, perhaps a tad of pride.
No doubt Meopta will strip, inspect, repair, clean etc. and return them.
I'm confident you have a cleaning kit and occasionally gently and " carefully clean" the outside surfaces of your binoculars.

Just out of interest some elderly neighbours asked me to look over their aged Zeiss 10 x 40 BGAT as it had "internal specks". Guess what? They cleaned up a treat from the outside.

The O.P. photo does however suggest an internal speck.

P

Last edited:
I've read that the eye cups are removable on the Meopta Meostars. If so, it should be easy to clean the ocular and find out if the spot is internal or external.

Bob

I would send the binos to Meopta. You have to pay the cost of this but if the repair is covered by the warranty it will be carried out free of charge and Meopta will pay the cost of sending it back to you.

Lee

Thanks all for the responses.

In fact I usually don't like to clean a lot the tubes. About the marks, there are not marks only dirty higlighted by the angle of light.

I can confirm you that I blow the lenses after every use. But I think is not a good Idea to clean the lenses on every use, as James stated. I tend to make it once a year if it's really that bad. I make this with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

What I can confirm without hesitation is that the drop is inside the tube.

Finally I contacted directly with meopta, I hope they can provide a better and easier support than the local dealer. Note that the email direction that worked for me is [email protected] not [email protected].

I will keep you informed, and thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:
The once a year cleaning suggestion is way too conservative in my experience. I use my bins every day, in every condition and the oculars especially get pretty dusty or marked with water droplets etc. All this impairs the view in some way, especially when light from behind illuminates the dust on the oculars. Even a very light haze of dust and dirt on the objectives can have a big impact on veiling glare control.

I clean when needed, maybe once every two weeks or so and have never had any coating removal, scratches or other imperfections occurring. Some of my regular use bins are 30 years old and have withstood this regimen without incident.

Blow off dust and debris, wash with water then [if needed] wash with lens cleaner and wipe with microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
The once a year cleaning suggestion is way too conservative in my experience. I use my bins every day, in every condition and the oculars especially get pretty dusty or marked with water droplets etc. All this impairs the view in some way, especially when light from behind illuminates the dust on the oculars. Even a very light haze of dust and dirt on the objectives can have a big impact on veiling glare control.

I clean when needed, maybe once every two weeks or so and have never had any coating removal, scratches or other imperfections occurring. Some of my regular use bins are 30 years old and have withstood this regimen without incident.

Blow off dust and debris, wash with water then [if needed] wash with lens cleaner and wipe with microfiber cloth.

Couldn't agree more! Optics will only perform at their best if kept at their best, much like anything else. I always take the utmost care of my optics so there's less chance of being let down in the field. The cost of a so-called alpha binocular takes some earning for some of us!

RB

Meopta Customer Service is top-class. Talk to Jana in Prerov. She'll look after you. Send them in directly and your binos will be grand.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I'm a little paranoid with optics maybe due to astronomy where usually is not recommended to clean up very often. The front lens tend to bebigger on a telescope so the impact of dust could be lower than on a bino.

About the support from Meopta, it seems that there is no more alternative than send the binoculars to meopta at my cost as I live on Spain but binoculars were bought on Germany. I do not understand why I can't send them directly to the local dealer on Spain as this is an international warranty. Obviously shipping to Chezk Republic is costs more than send to here on Spain.

Regards

Enviado desde mi Redmi 4A mediante Tapatalk

Hi again,
I can only say sorry sorry sorry. I am really embarrassed as the drop was from outside of the tube.

At the first time I used the microfibre cloth to clean the drop but it didn't removed. That's why I thought it was from inside.

Yesterday I tried with water (as james suggested) and again with the microfibre and … the droplet gone from the tube.

I think that the issue was that I thogth the drop was recent (as I did not notice it on previous sessions) so to me was strange that the drop was't removed with the microfibre cloth as the recent drops usually are removed easilly.

So I can only say sorry again, my mistake. My paranoid with optics did the issue I think.

On the other hand I'm ver very happy as these binos are my favorite and I can be confident with them.

Thanks a lot for you suggestions

Well, glad it has been resolved. Hate to say it but I will, see post # 4 by me. Happy New Year to you and all on BF, especially those from across the Pond.
P

Thats good news Oracleman. Cleaning the lenses very frequently can be a mistake but leaving them to accumulate dirt and drops and grease just makes cleaning more difficult and also more risky.

On holiday when our binos get used in the most intensive way in all weathers and often next to the sea, we don't clean the lenses while we are out walking but I check them the next day after they have had time to dry. If they only have slight marks I don't clean them but if they have more I brush them gently with a lens brush, holding the binos with the lens facing the floor so that when the brush moves the dust particles they can fall away from the bino. When this is done and I am sure all the particles have gone I breathe on the lens and wipe gently with a microfibre cloth. If there are marks that will not move or 'spread' without wiping away, I will use a lens wipe or cleaning fluid applied to a microfibre cloth, the gently polish with a clean microfibre cloth.

Lee

Well, glad it has been resolved. Hate to say it but I will, see post # 4 by me. Happy New Year to you and all on BF, especially those from across the Pond.
P
But I thank you for pointing it!! Do you recommend any solution to clean the binocular lenses?

But I thank you for pointing it!! Do you recommend any solution to clean the binocular lenses?

Glad you're sorted. Zeiss lens wipes are useful for emergencies in the field, otherwise I use Baader
Optical Wonder fluid and a high quality microfibre cloth, AFTER a careful dusting with a lens brush/air blower to get rid of potentially damaging dust as Lee describes.

RB

Recently i found a video about manufacturing binoculars. At the point where they are in the process of applying the coatings they ask the person in charge for a good cleaning solution. He is smiling and says "heißes Wasser und Spüli" - so hot wather and ordinary dish washing fluid. In the factory they use aceton.

Here ist the video, unfortunally just in german ... the part with cleaning is around 9:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIwaCvRtpA

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back