• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 300mm f4 (1 Viewer)

There is a patent but none announced yet. In any case, I wonder whether an external TC would degrade the image more than using the built-in electronic TC

the IBIS on my EPL5 on the Zuiko 75-300mm, is not as effective as with the OIS on the Lumix 100-300mm, but i have to admit that for video it can produce reasonably shake free recording.
I don't know if you have your E-PL5 set up for sequential shooting or single frame, Duha. If it is set to 'sequential' it is worth going to Menu 'Cog C' and checking the setting for 'Sequ + IS Off'. By default this is set to 'On' and this means that IBIS is switched off even if you take a single frame.

I couldn't make out why I was getting so many blurred images with my E-M1 until I discovered that the setting was set to 'On', which was cancelling out IBIS. Since turning it off my keeper rate has improved considerably.

Ron

Last edited:
I don't know if you have your E-PL5 set up for sequential shooting or single frame, Duha. If it is set to 'sequential' it is worth going to Menu 'Cog C' and checking the setting for 'Sequ + IS Off'. By default this is set to 'On' and this means that IBIS is switched off even if you take a single frame.

I couldn't make out why I was getting so many blurred images with my E-M1 until I discovered that the setting was set to 'On', which was cancelling out IBIS. Since turning it off my keeper rate has improved considerably.

Ron

That's a really useful tip, Ron!

It's very easy to mis-read that one when scrolling through all the different custom settings.

Ron, how many stops of stabilization did you manage to get out of your EM-1 when properly enabled? Thanks!
I am not really sure but I would guess at least 2 stops.

The attached shots demonstrate an experiment which I carried out when I discovered the issue with the menu setting. I took these shots indoors in poor incandescent light to see if changing the setting made any difference. The first shot was the best that I got with 'Sequ + IS Off' set to the default 'On' position. The second shot was typical of those obtained with the setting set to 'Off'.

The settings for both were 1/20 sec, f/6.1, 200mm.

Ron

Attachments

• Experiment 1.jpg
    Experiment 1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Experiment 2.jpg
    Experiment 2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for the samples. Looks like it is reasonable to expect IBIS to give 2 to a probable max of 3 stops stabilization for the 300mm.

Ron

Hello Ron

thanks a million for this tip, sorry i just saw this, and i think this maybe the problem, i just set it on Off, can't wait for the morning to see how thing will work for me, thanks so much again.

Hello Hor and Ron

this shot was taken at 1/160 sec, ISO 400, f 6.7, ev +0.3, with the setting Ron me told me about. the bird was under the shade, and thus the slow shutter speed.

The second shot is the same but after apply Auto sharpen by PS element 7.

Attachments

• bulbul1a.jpg
    bulbul1a.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 215
  • bulbul1b.jpg
    bulbul1b.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 230
"Olympus considers to make the new 300mm f/4 PRO lens with OIS, to complement IBIS in Olympus bodies (which is less effective at really long focal lengths) ..."
Hmmm.... can't really agree with that. I have found the IS to be very effective indeed. I use a Canon 400/5.6 without IS on my E-M1 a LOT! It is a great combination, naturally only MF and wide open.... until yesterday.o:)
Just got a Metabones Smart Adapter and now have the same setup with AF (S-AF only, but they are working on getting C-AF to work also) and full diaphragm control. Naturally I was eager to try it out, even though it was dark and dull out, typical Vienna Woods October weather. Here a few, all hand held with IS-1 on. ISO 800 and 1/50-1/60 second.
PA213092.jpg

PA213137.jpg

PA213364.jpg
This one was through a not so clean double glass window.

How many stops that is I do not know, but I do know that the E-M1 IBIS has made many a picture possible with that lens that would have otherwise gone straight into the trash.

Last edited:
Dan wrote
How many stops that is I do not know, but I do know that the E-M1 IBIS has made many a picture possible with that lens that would have otherwise gone straight into the trash.
Good for you.

The rumor site has one more reason why IS is added to the 300: this would not be an attractive lens for Pana camera owners without the IS, and without that group of potential customers, the cost of developing the lens would never be met. Oly is a company, they have to include profit in their calculations.

Niels

I think that is the real reason and they have said that from the beginning. The bit about IBIS being not so good with long lenses was new to me, and I do not agree with that. Tried it today with the Metabones/Canon 400 + 1.4x Extender III with IS set to 500mm, (and it works like a charm. Here hand held at 1/160th.
PA223597.jpg

I do not know for sure what I will do, but I will definitely carefully look at the outcome of both this and the 100-400, both in weight and quality. I like the flexibility of a zoom, but I love the low weight of my current 100-300 lens. Generally speaking, the weight of the Canon/Nikon lenses was what put me off going to such a system when I went beyond superzoom.

Niels

Well, there is nothing like primes....;)
My E-M1 with the 400+Metabones adapter weighs in at 1.8kg. To get the same reach, with AF AND with IS would cost me close to €4000. That would be a 7DII+100-400 II zoom, which weighs in at 2.5kg. More money, more weight, less IQ.... only real plus is faster AF, but that is a whole new subject I don't want to get into. I am not sold on the 7DII....

For clarity (you might have understood this, but re-reading my post I was not clear): the 100-400 I am talking about is the Pana/Leica one.

Niels

I ...Tried it today with the Metabones/Canon 400 + 1.4x Extender III with IS set to 500mm, (and it works like a charm. Here hand held at 1/160th.
View attachment 562104

very nice, considering the focal length and the small pixel-pitch. I guess without IS a shutter time of Maximum 1/1600 would be necessarey to get fluently sharp Fotos (2x500x1.6)? However birds are moving all the time, so maybe it's better to hold the shutter time Maximum at 1/250.

I wonder: if you need to set the IS manually to 500mm, does this mean, the metabones Adapter doesn't inform the Body about the correct focal length?

Or is it just because of the Extender?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back