• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Having seen Little Egret 2-3 times in a neighbouring parish in the last 17 months I didn't think it'd be long before I snuck one onto my Happisburgh list. And this morning I came up trumps as one flew alongside the car for 200 yds or so as I did the morning school run! Good stuff...

The geese locally have been good value too with 000's of Pinks plus the odd rossicus Bean, Greylag, Barnacles, Brent and Ross's mixed in. There are no hedges surrounding the fields they're in so please try to avoid disturbance if coming to see them; they really don't need to be unecessarily using up valuable energy reserves.

Congrats too postcardcv on your recent photographic award :t:

James

American Golden Plover

For anyone interested Birdguides are reporting an American Golden Plover with Golden Plovers in ploughed field by bend in the road past Welney WWT Visitor Centre.
Cheers
Richard

For anyone interested Birdguides are reporting an American Golden Plover with Golden Plovers in ploughed field by bend in the road past Welney WWT Visitor Centre.
Cheers
Richard

Someone must have some patience. There were thousands of Golden Plover and Lapwings yesterday putting on some marvellous aerial displays on the bend just north of the visitor centre.
Sue

Been a'goosin' today... um, so yeah. Went looking for geese etc. Saw lots.

First point of call were the fields around Field Dalling and Saxlingham, hoping for the Tundra Bean that had been spotted by Canarybirder. You weren't kidding! You do need the patience of a saint with that many Pink Feet! The Lesser Snow Goose was much easier though. A number of the Pink-footed Geese had neck collars.

On to Holkham, where they'd upped the charge for parking to £3.50. Didn't have the odd, so parked on the other side of the crossroads and walked. Good call, as I would have missed the Black Brant that was in the first field on the right. 1 Ross' Goose, 60+ White Fronted Geese, 5 Barnacles and obviously the Pink-feet. 1 Barn Owl that didn't notice that I was there and sat on a fence post about 5 meters from me and a male and juv. Marsh Harrier practice food passing broke up the monotony of the evening goose spectacle nicely ;)

Very plesant evening when the rain stopped and the sun emerged.

Jason

Decided to tot-up a couple of personal lists when I got home. Norfolk list stands at 225, with the shamefull addition of White Crowned Sparrow when I'm yet to see a Tree Sparrow! Anyone know of any good sites for Tree Sparrow in Norfolk?

Year list stands at 98.

Jason

A wander out along the Marriots Way from Reepham this afternoon in the sun. 2 Little Egrets were the highlights and getting ever closer to home. They looked to be paired up so worth keeping an eye on this spring me thinks. Also - 6 Siskins, 2 Bullfinches, Barn Owl, c100 Skylarks and a few Fieldfares.

The joys of an inland local patch!

Chris

Jason,
Just spotted your request for Tree Sparrow info. Try the village of Fulmodeston near Fakenham. I had a few there last winter.

Norfolk list currently at 371 (strict BOU) but then again that's alot of years!

Chris

On the way into Norwich this morning down the Acle straight I spotted a large bird of prey over the windmill. I would have thought marshie except that it held the wings very flat on the glides. It crossed the road and went down somewhere northwards. No plumage details as it was a long way off and just a black outline, but it just might have been that rough-legged still hanging about.

Finished work early so nipped into UEA. Dipped again on the hawfinch, but still loads of bramblings, a great-spotted and nuthatch on the feeder and a goosander on the broad. Best bit though was turning round when I was watching the feeder to see a huge fox tip-toeing past about 20yds behind me. Amazingly the dog only saw it as I did, and promptly set off in pursuit, so it was a brief glimpse - but I can now verify that a fox given a 20yd start can easily outrun a dog!

Then popped into Whitlingham, which held a single female goldeneye among the tufties and pochards, then Strumpshaw (2 marshies and a pair of dabchicks the only highlights), paused to admire a chinese water deer stood in the middle of a field cool as cucumber, and so home.

Decided to tot-up a couple of personal lists when I got home. Norfolk list stands at 225, with the shamefull addition of White Crowned Sparrow when I'm yet to see a Tree Sparrow! Anyone know of any good sites for Tree Sparrow in Norfolk?

Year list stands at 98.

Jason

There are also tree sparrow in Cley, I often see them on the path that runs along side the road.

Anyone in the 3Score area of Bowthorpe, Norwich ?

dunno for certain but thought i saw 2 Ring Ouzels on the flooded fields bordering the river, there's often been horses in those fields so it sounded sort of good to me.

Trouble is i'd made the mistake of being in a car (in my defence it was for an hospital appointment), and by the time we got back...

Anyone know of any good sites for Tree Sparrow in Norfolk?

Year list stands at 98.

Jason

East or West Barsham for Tree Sparrow.

Theres a converted barn in East Barsham (the owner isn't very friendly......he thinks the road belongs to him) where they like sitting on his roof but they are around in the hedges along the road and generally around the area.

Sorry can't remember the road name.Will be up in February so will try and write down directions.

Finished work early so nipped into UEA. Dipped again on the hawfinch, but still loads of bramblings, a great-spotted and nuthatch on the feeder and a goosander on the broad

I spent ages watching those feeders today trying for nuthatch without luck! Good views of the bramblings though. Wandered around Eaton Park in case the hawfinches had moved, but again nothing. Also in that area saw a kingfisher and grey wagtail along the river through Earlham Park and a willow tit was with a flock of other tits in the woods along the river.

James

Anyone know of any good sites for Tree Sparrow in Norfolk?

Harpley, right on the A148 in NW Norfolk - check the bushes and hedges around the junction with a minor road running south from near the petrol station. Approx TF755257 - this turned up trumps a couple of weeks ago without difficulty.

The lane past a row of cottages to the north of the minor road at Harpley Dams (about a mile further east) was good a couple of years ago as well, when the White-tailed Eagle, a Great Grey Shrike and a wintering Black Redstart were all nearby!

Blimey, thanks for the responce! A couple of the sites you guys are giving are not far from where I live, so its a little embarrasing to find that some of you from as far away as Sussex know the place better than me!

Jason

2 of the wintering Stonechats here were joined by a 3rd bird yesterday and there were 2 (a pair?) just over the border into East Ruston this morning. New arrivals perhaps?; we often see a small late winter/early spring influx along the coast...

James

Tree Sparrows

Year list stands at 98.

Jason

I had four tree sparrows on a feeder in Upper Sheringham on Sunday.

I understand that Flitcham area can be good for tree sparrows too.

Am sad to say that in East Norfolk they care very thin on the ground :-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back