• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

I may be a bit behind on this one, But, are the two Ross's geese near Saxlingham considered as genuine? I heard that there have been escaped Snow and Ross's geese in norfolk in the last couple of years . . . but (as per Birdwatch article), numbers are really on the up in Canada etc . . .

cheers, dan

I don't think that many consider the Ross's geese to be genuine, and personally I don't see it making the British list without a ringing recovery. One of the biggest problems for them is that ~ a quarter of the flock at Pensthorpe are free-flying.

have decided to slog it away on my patch for the whole year which ive christened the Sheringham Square in honour of its more illustrious cousin

Was a slog on Sunday - expected seawatch - nothing more than RT divers and Auks + a chap who had taken his 5 yr old son seawatching, so was seeing more of the back of this kids head thro my scope than birds,

A Firecrest with a Tit flock near Beeston Regis and birds that are struggling elsewhere seem to be doing well in this area - Marsh Tit, Bullfinch, learning to resist the pull of the pager, hoping to find some decent stuff this year.

Were both white geese at Saxlingham this weekend Ross's? Was one a Snow? At a distance, there were differences in size and wing beat in flight.

I must hasten to apologise on behalf of my friend the Pictish Percussionist who, rather embarrassingly, clearly failed to realise that the Crapping Firecrest (Regulus ignicapillus crapulensis) I spotted is now recognised by many authorities as a race. It's normally to be found in areas with a high raptor density and, being of a particularly nervous disposition, is even harder to see than the nominate race.

If it suffers the "ignominy" of being split in the future they should call it regulus ignicrapillus.

I don't think that many consider the Ross's geese to be genuine, and personally I don't see it making the British list without a ringing recovery. One of the biggest problems for them is that ~ a quarter of the flock at Pensthorpe are free-flying.

Cheers, as am up in N Norfolk tomorrow (wonder why . . . ;)), just checking what else I should prioritise . . . I expect I'll look for Buntings at Salthouse, Geese somewhere up in that area, Richard's Shore Larks :)t:), and maybe look in at Titchwell . .

One further q, how far (driving time) is the nearest roost for harriers etc from the Cley area?

Cheers, dan

Dan
2 Ross's Geese are at Saxlingham, best viewed from the village itself, last report of Snow were over on the Acle Straight
Lapland Bunting with Snow Buntings along the shingle ridge at Cley, where the 3 (mobile) Shorelark are also present.
I presume you mean Hen Harrier roost - nearest to Cley is Warham Greens, take the track opposite the minor road to Walsingham and walk west (if you want to)
However there is a small roost at Roydon, where the Great Grey Shrike is (was? or has it moved to Dersingham or is this a different bird - anyone?)

David

PS Richard, why are you so obsessed with the Shorelark?

However there is a small roost at Roydon, where the Great Grey Shrike is (was? or has it moved to Dersingham or is this a different bird - anyone?)

Presume its the Dersingham one that was found in autumn, was certainly reported on the same day as the Roydon one at some point...

Connor

Shore Larks

Dan
2 Ross's Geese are at Saxlingham, best viewed from the village itself, last report of Snow were over on the Acle Straight
Lapland Bunting with Snow Buntings along the shingle ridge at Cley, where the 3 (mobile) Shorelark are also present.
I presume you mean Hen Harrier roost - nearest to Cley is Warham Greens, take the track opposite the minor road to Walsingham and walk west (if you want to)

David

PS Richard, why are you so obsessed with the Shorelark?

Dave I'm not. Just thought than anyone who regularly birds in Norfolk and who has not got access to Birdguides or a pager might be interested. SL's are after all quite a scarce bird these days.
Richard

Presume its the Dersingham one that was found in autumn, was certainly reported on the same day as the Roydon one at some point...

Connor

But possibly one in the morning and one in the afterrnoon? Not too far to fly between sites? It would be nice to discover two birds. Perhaps someone could visit both sites, one after the other?

Two Golden Pheasants at Wolferton at lunchtime.
Sue

Hi Pete

they're very variable birds indeed - BWP long version has a lot on variation in Barn Owl and 'Dark-breasted' Barn Owl. As i mentioned above, the underwing coverts are a good point as they should be white on Barn and coloured on 'Dark-breasted'. The Barn Owl by Warburton et al. has some useful info in it it too...

hope you got some good phalarope shots

Tim

Cheers for the info Tim - I see plenty of barn owls, but have never seen one that looked quite like the one I had on Monday. It's good to know about the underwing coverts, I know what to look for next time.

The phalarope was amazing, I've never seen one so well, just a shame I could only give it an hour. http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/177259/cat/recent/limit/recent

While I agree that Ross's Goose is unlikely to make it onto the British list without a ringing recovery, I feel that more people consider some records of Ross's Goose to be genuine than this post implies.
The first winter for example was widely appreciated and has made it onto a fair few personal lists that I am aware of (my own included). Whether this bird continues to return as an adult I guess nobody can answer for certain but given goose behaviour it has to be a distinct possibility.
Meanwhile, I wonder whether the two that are present together at the moment are the two that turned up in Scotland in October? Unlike the Snow Goose, these weren't tracked along the east coast and there were no reports that I am aware of of two together between the departure from Scotland (Oct) and the arrival of two here (Jan), but I guess there is potential for them to have been on the continent in the meantime before moving to Norfolk.
Finally, is the hybrid Ross's x Pink foot in Norfolk considered to be a wild bird or an escape? If this bird was indeed wild then it suggests overlap in breeding areas of the Pink feet that winter here and Ross's Goose, thereby confirming the potential for Pink feet to act as a carrier species for Ross's Goose.

For those visiting north Norfolk, I'd suggest going to see these birds anyway and making up your own mind whether to tick them or not as we may never know for certain if wild birds do occur here. Personally, I prefer to give reasonable birds (ie fully winged, unringed and wary) the benefit of the doubt!

I'd be interested to hear how many people count Ross's Goose on their personal lists and how many do not.

Chris

For those visiting north Norfolk, I'd suggest going to see these birds anyway and making up your own mind whether to tick them or not as we may never know for certain if wild birds do occur here. Personally, I prefer to give reasonable birds (ie fully winged, unringed and wary) the benefit of the doubt!

Generally I'd agree with this, but as I say there are a fair few fully winged Ross's geese at Pensthorpe. The birds may seem wary as they will go up with the flock that they are in, but who knows if they'd be approachable if on their own. I know that many were happy with the first winter bird a few years ago, but I'm not sure why, can anyone explain this to me?

On another unrelated matter, the sparrow bucket has now passed the £3500 mark.

Generally I'd agree with this, but as I say there are a fair few fully winged Ross's geese at Pensthorpe. The birds may seem wary as they will go up with the flock that they are in, but who knows if they'd be approachable if on their own. I know that many were happy with the first winter bird a few years ago, but I'm not sure why, can anyone explain this to me?

On another unrelated matter, the sparrow bucket has now passed the £3500 mark.

Excellent. If it stays much longer they can have a new church.

Hi all,
I personally keep 3 lists! (which can become very confusing!!!)
A BOU list which, obviously, does not contain Ross's Goose, a UK400 list and a personal list - both of which contain Ross's Goose, including the current birds in a Personal Year List.

I hadn't made Chris' connection with two Ross's in Scotland before the two in Norfolk, not a coincidence me thinks. However, I don't think the hydrid goose can be used in the argument, as it is not even agreed on its parantage (has anyone ever asked Jeorn on the Id forum)

Currant Year Lists:
158 BOU
161 UK400
162 Personal
try and figure those out if you care (and no it doesn't count Golden Pheasant after comments passed earlier - but I might if I see one at Wolferton!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back