• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Paul, can you briefly describe your GW Teal Hybrid as myself an Ilya saw a bird at the weekend that we considered might have been a hybrid

cheers

Hi Tim

The bird was feeding (I assume on seed left for the buntings) with a small group of teal on the pools and grass areas close by. When I first picked up the bird it was face on and I was surprised to see the vertical white stripes either side of the breast. Unfortunatly when it turned sideways it also had a strong horizontal white stripe!
I have only seen one hybrid before - the one at Minsmere - and it showed similar features of an obvious horizontal stripe and short faded vertical stripe. The other striking feature was the bold and wide curved pale border, running from the top of the head to the bill, on the front of the head. This was very obvious and easy to pick the bird out when facing head on.
The friends I was with got a photo and I have a poor image on the minsmere bird and I will post them when I get them through.
I stopped a few people and was surprised that no-one else was interested in the bird and that it hadn't already been seen - it was certainly the best bird at the site!

Paul

The Long Stratton DB Barn Owl put on a very good show tonight, stunning weather and little wind made all the difference after last nights rain and bitter chill!! sadly the Short Eared didn't show but may still be in the area.

Was saying earlier to Ruralchill I'm very tempted to rummage out some fenceposts to aid better perched shots!!!

A couple of shots from tonight, plus the Short Eared from last night, with the right equipment (which I obviously don't have!!) and a little time someone could get some blinding shots of the DB, an interesting and beautiful bird that deserves to be well documented.

Matt

Attachments

• DB Owl 012 (Custom).jpg
    DB Owl 012 (Custom).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DB Owl 017 (Custom).jpg
    DB Owl 017 (Custom).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 84
  • w common 002 (Custom).jpg
    w common 002 (Custom).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
DB Barn Owl

Matt this may be of interest but is purely just a record shot.
Called far too late this evening as the light was going.
Looked for it this morning but it didnt show whilst I was present.

Major.

Attachments

• Barn-Owl-D-B.jpg
    Barn-Owl-D-B.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 597
Had 2 Hawfinch at Lynford today, another birder had 5 just before me. Showing fairly regularly according to RBA, so worth a look if you are passing through like myself.
Tried for Lesser Pecker at Santon Dowham, walked along the river but to no avail. Lovely day to be out and about mind.
Interesting to read about the Teal hybrid.

Cheers,
Jim.

Year list creeps up to 125 with the addition of Common Scoter (fem. + 1st W), Kittiwake (1) and Razorbill, all from Cley. Also seen were about 6 RT Divers and the ubiquitous Auk sp.

Holkham Park in the morning failed me again in the Lesser Pecker department. I had hoped that todays lovely weather (and it was lovely weather) would bring out some vocals, but sadly it wasn't to be. There were 20 or more Bramblings around the monument though.

Finished up with the White Crowned Sparrow. Showed sickeningly well on seed placed on the grass to the right of the driveway. Gave me an opportunity to truely appreciate how smart it is.

Crap photo attached. Could have been a million times better if my phone battery hadn't died after just one shot! Sadly the one I got ended up a bit dark.

Jason

Edit: blurry as well! Dammit!

Attachments

• Image044.jpg
    Image044.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Sue saw the Caspian Y'day, but unfortunately missed the Glaucous Gull(s?)
I thought that Caspian Gull had been up graded by BOU, but Sue has pointed out to me that it is still a sub-species on the most recent list. Did I dream this or can somebody update me on the current status

David
PS had wonderful views of the Dark-breasted Barn Owl, meeting Matt again. It really is a cracking bird in an amazing surroundings - well worth a visit

Sue saw the Caspian Y'day, but unfortunately missed the Glaucous Gull(s?)
I thought that Caspian Gull had been up graded by BOU, but Sue has pointed out to me that it is still a sub-species on the most recent list. Did I dream this or can somebody update me on the current status

David
PS had wonderful views of the Dark-breasted Barn Owl, meeting Matt again. It really is a cracking bird in an amazing surroundings - well worth a visit

Caspian gull got upgraded to a fell species by BOU a couple of weeks ago.

I hope the dark-breasted barn owl hangs around so I can have a crack at it next week, looks to be a smart bird.

David

The bird still present and seemingly quite happy with all the extra attention!!
Seems also to be quite at home with the alba male (see pic), will be interesting to note any interaction between the two!!

Matt

Attachments

• wacton common 010 (Custom).jpg
    wacton common 010 (Custom).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 138
Does anyone know if there have been tree sparrows in with the WCS at cley or where else I could see them in norfolk pref between cley and titchwell. Thanks

The full trio of owls showing well at Wacton Common tonight. The Dark-breasted Barn leaving it's roost at 3.50 and showing for c50 mins, most of that time with a standard 'alba'. No interaction between the 2, just quite happy to hunt the same common, passing each other occasionally. Side by side they look for all the world like different species!
The Short-eared showed for c15 mins at the end of the common nearest the hall and appears to have some missing or tattered primaries on one wing.

Off to Northern Italy tomorrow for some category C Western Palearctic species.

Chris

Does anyone know if there have been tree sparrows in with the WCS at cley or where else I could see them in norfolk pref between cley and titchwell. Thanks

I've not heard of any Tree Sparrows with the White-crowned. If you scroll back through this thread, there was a fairly length discussion about Tree Sparrow sites a couple of weeks ago - several sites in N Norfolk included.

Long Eared Owl showed unusually well this evening, giving a good 10 second appearance in flight before dissapearing to wherever it hunts. It was still reasonably light too. Amazing just how small they are! Quality birds. Also 1 Barn Owl, 2 Tawny Owls calling, 2 Woodcocks and 2 Snipe.

Didn't see the LEO the other night, but did have a Tawny chase the Barn Owl across the marsh. Mammals included Roe and Muntjack Deer and a Water Vole.

Jason

Thanks postcardcv - do you have any reference for that?

Hi David
I found it (Caspian Gull) at last in the 36th BOU Report. Gulls now as follows:
Species should be listed in the following sequence (Ibis 149: 853–857):
• Ivory Gull Pagophila eburnea
• Sabine’s Gull Xema sabini
• Kittiwake (Black-legged Kittiwake) Rissa tridactyla
• Slender-billed Gull Chroicocephalus genei
• Bonaparte’s Gull Chroicocephalus philadelphia
• Black-headed Gull (Common Black-headed Gull) Chroicocephalus ridibundus
• Little Gull Hydrocoloeus minutus
• Ross’s Gull Rhodostethia roseus
• Laughing Gull Larus atricilla
• Franklin’s Gull Larus pipixcan
• Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus
• Audouin’s Gull Larus audouinii
• Great Black-headed Gull (Pallas’s Gull) Larus ichthyaetus
• Common Gull Larus canus
• Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
• Lesser Black-backed Gull Larus fuscus
• Herring Gull Larus argentatus
• Yellow-legged Gull Larus michahellis
• Caspian Gull Larus cachinnans
• American Herring Gull Larus smithsonianus
• Iceland Gull Larus glaucoides;
• Glaucous Gull Larus hyperboreus;
• Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus.

Curiously I found it in the main report but when I looked at the main ABC category list I could not find it (Caspian Gull) listed! American Herring Gull has also joined the list!

Hope this sorts it out!
Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back