• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

I've come here to confess. I went twitching today. After over a month's struggle with my inner-self, I went to see the Sparrow for the first time! I blame drinking and dancing to cheesy eighties pop music until 2am for my altered state of mind.

To top it all off I then twitched the Rough-legged Buzzard. Fortunately I didn’t see it, but found a Lapland Bunting and a flock of twite on the Saltmarsh, which meant it wasn’t an entirely wasted trip

Much more importantly I had two patch ticks today!!! Stonechat and Buzzard.

You make me sick! ;) Seriously though, it would have been silly not to have at least a glance. You do live in the same county after all, and not that far away.

At least you missed the RL Buzzard. Your credibility hasn't completely evaporated!

Jason ;)

I've come here to confess. I went twitching today. After over a month's struggle with my inner-self, I went to see the Sparrow for the first time!

Last edited:
You make me sick! ;) Seriously though, it would have been silly not to have at least a glance. You do live in the same county after all, and not that far away.

At least you missed the RL Buzzard. Your credibility hasn't completely evaporated!

Jason ;)

Actually it was nice to get really good views of it in the bright sunshine unsurrounded by crowds. Made even sweeter by strolling along and finding it in the hedge straight away upon arrival while the five or so gathered people were all staring pointedly in the wrong direction.

Shame you couldn’t pin that pipit down. It sounds interesting, particularly in February. I wouldn’t completely rule out Blyth’s at this time of year (the rarer the bird the more likely it is to stay put and a February bird would surely be a long-stayer rather than a new arrival). Might pop down and have look for it myself at some point. Would seem unlikely that having been around for a number of months, which it surely must have been if it was one of the rarer species, it suddenly moved off.

I must say, that would be rather nice... :) Tail did strike me as very long though, so most likely a Richards. Will see what happens.

Jason

lots of birding in last week, water rail at bittern site and 2 wigeon at beeston priory were inland patch ticks,
had a possible black guillemot on the sea off sheringham, on the sea it looked like a black guilli, whole body jet black (not chocolate brown) with white oval patch on the wing which was slightly broken with black, however when it dived it had white undertail coverts, was thinking maybe a summer plumaged bird retaining some winter plumaged feathers - most of the common guillis have now moulted to summer plumage, but some are still a bit patchy - very unfamiliar with this species - only seen one ad winter before so its one that getting away at the moment, went down this morning but no alcids in misty conditions.

also 34 stunning LTDs off Holme and 4+ Laps at Thornham, Rough Legged Blob at Burnham Norton.

I've been thinking about all these GGShrikes + the Rough Leg and this possible Dick's Pipit. It struck me that alot of these birds have shown up at site where they were reported in the autumn, Dersingham and Burnham Overy for GG, Gramborough Hill for Dicks and East Hills for Rough Leg, could it be these are the same birds from the Autumn? Hard to believe they have been overlooked at such well watched sites, so perhaps they moved inland and are now part of an early spring movement back to their previous staging posts - any comments welcome.

Last edited:
also 34 stunning LTDs off Holme and 4+ Laps at Thornham, Rough Legged Blob at Burnham Norton.

Glad you had sucess at Holme! Were the LTDs of Gore Point? 7+ Lap Bunts still present today in the same stubble field at Thornham.

Dad had a female Lesser-spotted Woodpecker early morning today in the Brecks...

Connor

Last edited:
had a successful trip. managed to see nearly everything i went for which was unusual.
on the way there we saw some swans near welney and 3 emus somewhere random.
at on friday afternnon hunstanton we had lovely views of the fulmars on the cliffs. there were some commoner waders and a med gull on the beach. i couldn't manage more than single red-throated diver offshore.
when we arrived we walked onto the seawall and had good views of the rough-legged buzzard on a post. (we were staying at burnham deepdale farm)

on saturday morning with surprisingly a crowd of about 40 the white-crowned sparrow was showing well at cley. at beeston when we arrived the bittern had flown off from the pond. after waiting a while i got bored and so went for a walk to see if there was anything else about. i spotted the bittern in the field with the long grass showing very well around the gorse bushes. after enjoying it myself for a few minutes ;), i went and got the only 10 or so people who were there and everyone enjoyed good views. the birds stayed here for about 30 minutes before flying off as more people began to arrive. it appeared to land at the pond but had actually landed somewhere else. back at the pond loads of birders began to arrive so we left. it may be tame but i can't see why it would land there when there were nearly 50 people surrounding the pond.
cley was dead. about 800 brents flew off as we were eating. the scrapes held the usual avocets and ducks plus a couple of ruff, golden plover and redshank but there were very few birds. 2 marsh harriers. med gull on the duck pond by the road.
at salthouse there were 20+ red-throats offshore plus 2 guillemots flew past. the flock of about 50 snow buntings showed superbly the whole time. when the photographers waited quietly by the green grass bit then they would come down to feed metres away. i never understand why the people with the biggest lenses need to get closest tho :C. 2 marsh harriere
we had a bit of time to spare so headed to holkham not really knowing what we were going to see. c50 Pinkfeet and c1000 Brents showed well in the fields by Lady Anne's Drive plus some close Snipe roosting in the grass. as we entered the washington hide a pair of marsh harriers entertained us and there were thousands of ducks mostly wigeon. a muntjac was feeding down the side of a field, briefly being watched by the only jay of the trip. a barn owl appeared out of nowhere as they do and showed beautifully in the golden light. with hundreds of curlew flying over calling as well it was one of those really atmospheric afternoons that makes norfolk so special. 2 more barn owls showed distantly over the other side and i also spotted a mystery bird. it was flying away from us the whole time which made it hard to id but the only thing that i seemed anything like was a long-eared owld. it was slightly larger than a barn owl but smaller than a female hen harrier and it had quite flat wings. i watched it for about half a minute before it disappeared into holkham estate.

on sunday we started at holme where the tide was far out which made seawatching difficult. i picked up the 30 or so long-tailed ducks showing poorly plus after a while 4 pairs of mergansers and a great northern diver! 2 fulmars flew past. commoner waders and brents were on the beach and a nice male bullfinch was in the hedgerow in holme village
at choseley corn buntings and yellowhammers were both fairly numerous often feeding on the ground by the barns. a buzzard was circling overhead. for the first time i saw no partridge of any kind here.
as usual titchwell produced. we started with a brambling on the feeders and then red-legged partridge, snipe, lapwing, curlew and golden plover all in the same scope view in the wet fields. a crowd had gathered and were watching a group of about 5 redpoll silently feeding in the trees. the freshmarsh was frozen over. about 30 ruff were present plus avocets, a med gull, pintails and a marsh harrier. a water rail scurried across the ice and a bearded tit called then showed in flight only. there wasnt much on the brackish marsh that wasnt an oystercatcher. the tidal pool was the best. i spotted 2 twite feeding on the sandy bit at the back. after watching them for about 2 minutes our attention turned to a spotshank that had just landed in front of us. when i went back to the twite they had disappeared! 3 goldeneye were on the tidal pool plus a variety of waders and ducks. offshore it took a while for me to find anything except goldeneyes and gulls. after ages i found 2 female scoter, 1 female merganser, and a female eider. a fulmar flew past (unsexed ;)). the way back was more productive. from parrinder hide a snipe was showing incredibly about a metre in front of the hide. a water rail also gave brilliant scope views along the reed edge. a peregrine was perched in a dead tree and a merlin flew past so quickly that most people didnt even notice it! on the path to the car park we were going to have a good look for the woodcock but fortunately someone had done the hard work for us. i was expecting to see a pile of leaves with a beak sticking out, but i was quite wrong. it was walking around feeding and giving great scope views quite close. it took a while to spot but once you had found it you couldn't miss it. certainly a very rare opportunity.
at warham it was quite foggy but 3 marsh harriers and 2 female hens showed, although the hens were rather distant. also a flock of about 40 linnet and many red-legged partridges.
this morning we went out onto thornham point to look for the lapland buntings because i had only heard '7 lapland buntings at thornham'. obviously no luck but plenty of skylarks and mipits. when we found out they were in a flooded stubble field we drove around a bit trying to find it. we arrived at a car park where a kind birder told us the buntings were just down the seawall in the field. it took a long time to find them but i got six together in flight and then enjoyed excellent close views of one on the ground for about 10 minutes. i found 2 more on the ground showing not so well. we also saw a knot which was one of the commoner birds we hadnt seen. and now another mystery bird. ;) i almost passed it off as a dunlin but closer inspection showed it to be quite different. it could have just been a retarded dunlin but it had an obvious white eyestripe, a longer body and a slighly short less curved bill. it had the 'scales' effect on its sides which you normally see in juvenile waders in the autumn. looking in my collins bird guide i seriously think it could have been a white-rumped sandpiper, so if anyone goes for the laps could they have a look at it. it was in the channel just by the field where the buntings are (TF 724 443).
welney had large numbers of swans with the whoopers being from the observatory and the bewicks in the fields, but no sign of the crane or beans. a rather lost looking brent, a marsh harrier and about 500 godwits was 'the best of the rest'.

hope everyone has had a good day,
tom

I've been thinking about all these GGShrikes + the Rough Leg and this possible Dick's Pipit. It struck me that alot of these birds have shown up at site where they were reported in the autumn, Dersingham and Burnham Overy for GG, Gramborough Hill for Dicks and East Hills for Rough Leg, could it be these are the same birds from the Autumn? Hard to believe they have been overlooked at such well watched sites, so perhaps they moved inland and are now part of an early spring movement back to their previous staging posts - any comments welcome.

I definitely considered whether the Burnham Overy GG Shrike was the same bird as that from when the Subalpine and LG Shrike were around last year. As you say, in an area as well watched as this it should have been seen at some point. one thing I considered was that it had commuted over to Scolt Head. Surely a possibility?

Re the RLB, I dont see how something like that could hide for any long period and it is one of those birds that are reported when seen, as a rule. Moving inland is a possibility. There have been birds seen in various parts of the county throughout Dec/Jan though. Same bird, maybe, just roming?

Dicks Pipit is sadly still just a probable. No sign today or yesturday.

Jason

Glad you had what sounds like an excellent trip Tom. That mystery wader sounds very interesting! However, the other mystery bird at Holkham doesn't really sound like a LEO. They're a lot smaller than you might expect. Noticably smaller that a Barn Owl anyway. SEO maybe?

Dont think we bumped into each other this time. Maybe next time...

Jason

too dark for an SEO Jason, i guess another one that got away! I could see a couple of birders at various intervals along the coast path at Warham, so I guess one of them was you.

we saw 110 species, but it was certainly quality over quantity. species missed include egyptian goose!!, all woodpeckers, coal tit!!, nuthatch, treecreeper, redwing, mistle thrush and siskin.

Last edited:
2 hours spent at Salthouse this morning/afternoon failed to produce the probable Pipit species again. Plenty of room for it to hide away though, so I'll keep looking when I can (be bothered :p). The sea, in between fog banks, produced 30+ RTDs, 3 full-on summer plumaged Cormorants passed and 6 Eiders (4 males). The Cormorants possessed a hell of a lot of white all over the head, and partly down the neck. I didn't note a smaller size to that of a standard Cormorant, but they looked ok for sinensis.

The Snow Bunts were ranging a lot further that they have been, and in smaller groups. Still coming to seed though, with at least 16 seen. 2 Lapland Buntings also made an apperance, calling overhead, then landing briefly on the shingle ridge before stopping on the mud (right behind a photographer facing the other way. Dont think he saw them in the end!), and then flying east.

Jason

Interesting your comment about the size of LeO Jason, they average slightly larger in wing span than Barn and I always think darker birds look larger than whiter birds, but then again I hardly ever see them hunting and never in the company of a Barn Owl.

teamsaint, great trip report, its good to see someone enjoying many of the different birds we often take for granted in Norfolk, hopefully it won't be long before you return!

David

Last edited:
I am Norfolk this weekend and today I saw the White-Crowned Sparrow, a Lesser White-Fronted Goose from the A149 and the Salthouse Snow Buntings. I am thinking about going to Chosely after going to Titchwell tomorrow but im not sure how to get there and where to park so any info is gratefully appreciated.

Interesting your comment about the size of LeO Jason, they average slightly larger in wing span than Barn and I always think darker birds look larger than whiter birds, but then again I hardly ever see them hunting and never in the company of a Barn Owl.

David

Its more the long slender wings that excentuate the smaller body of LEO for me, making them appear smaller and more delicate overall. Just my impression though. I was amazed by how delicate they are when I had my first sighting. The shape of a Barn Owl strikes me as much stockier in comparison.

Jason

this morning we went out onto thornham point to look for the lapland buntings because i had only heard '7 lapland buntings at thornham'. tom

Sorry for any confusion anyone has experienced here, I should make it clear that the Lap Bunts are being seen between Thornham and Holme along the coastal path in the stubble field, so the best place to park is Thornham harbour.

Glad you had a good trip Tom, some very good species there and good to see you had the LTDs at Holme...

Cheers,

Connor

Its more the long slender wings that excentuate the smaller body of LEO for me, making them appear smaller and more delicate overall. Just my impression though. I was amazed by how delicate they are when I had my first sighting. The shape of a Barn Owl strikes me as much stockier in comparison.

Jason

So, looking back at what I wrote in the other post, I should have said that they APPEAR smaller, and not they ARE much smaller than Barn Owl. Thats what I meant, anyway... :D

Jason

Took my dad to Norfolk on Friday, but failed to find any Twite, whats happened to those flocks I used to see back in the 80's like at Morston Key.

Mike.

After nearly 6 years in Norfolk I finally caught up with the near-mythical lesser spotted woodpecker at Holkham this morning!
As the weather was set fair I decided to give it a few hours in the hope of a sighting. Got to site at 9am, probably too early with the cold morning, and there seemed to be very little activity so I decide to count the wildfowl and check the gulls on the lake while the frost lifted. 4 (2 adS, 1 adW, 1 2ndW) med gulls and 110 shoveler were the highlights.
Walking back to the trees I noticed 3 birders standing in the trees looking into the tops, I wandered over and they told me they had just had a lesser spot but is had dissapeared! 15 mins later we relocated it and then managed to watch a cracking male for half an hour including 5 mins of preening in the sun! Having not seen one for about 10 years I hadn't realised how much time they spent going backwards down the branches while feeding! |:D|

With the recent cold weather (-9 last night) I have had good numbers of bramblings in my garden including a flock of 28 this morning including some very smart males.

Paul

Attachments

• bramblings1.jpg
    bramblings1.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 92
  • brambling2.jpg
    brambling2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 82
I am Norfolk this weekend and today I saw the White-Crowned Sparrow, a Lesser White-Fronted Goose from the A149 and the Salthouse Snow Buntings. I am thinking about going to Chosely after going to Titchwell tomorrow but im not sure how to get there and where to park so any info is gratefully appreciated.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...rchp=newsearch.srf&dn=781&ax=575750&ay=342120

http://www.burhinus.co.uk/Chosely Barns.htm

That should help you find it.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back