• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Took my dad to Norfolk on Friday, but failed to find any Twite, whats happened to those flocks I used to see back in the 80's like at Morston Key.

Mike.

There were around 30ish knocking around Morstin Quay earlier this winter, and also around the Blakeney area. Hasn't seemed like a bad year... Anyone else had much luck with the species this winter? Thornham hasn't been as reliable as in previous years, by the sounds of it, but I've had luck elsewhere.

Anyone familiar with the Catfield Fen reserve?

Had a walk around the area this afternoon, couldn't see much in the heavy fog but we were reeling off likely species...looks to be a great spot for warblers especialy as well as other broadland target species, what really impressed us was how seemingly wild the area was with no heavy reedbed management etc ~ lots of suitable scrub for a wide variaty of birds throughout the whole year. We did manage to hear Bearded Tits, Water Rail, Cettis Warbler and a very brief view of a male Marsh Harrier....unintentionally
walked beyond the last view point of the area by middle marsh drainage mill and ended up by Barton Broad!!!

Looks to be a bit of a backwater and possibly underwatched? so for anyone interested more information of the reserve can be found on the link below...

http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/catfield.html

Confusingly there seems to be another Catfield fen? or common in the area which we also visited, two Siskin, fly over Redpoll, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit and three Kingfisher were the only notable sightings...

Matt

Attachments

• cobweb 038 (Custom).jpg
    cobweb 038 (Custom).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 71
  • cobweb 039 (Custom).jpg
    cobweb 039 (Custom).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 63
  • cobweb 041 (Custom).jpg
    cobweb 041 (Custom).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 68
  • cobweb 042 (Custom).jpg
    cobweb 042 (Custom).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 57
  • cobweb 055 (Custom).jpg
    cobweb 055 (Custom).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 71
Glad you had sucess at Holme! Were the LTDs of Gore Point? 7+ Lap Bunts still present today in the same stubble field at Thornham.

Dad had a female Lesser-spotted Woodpecker early morning today in the Brecks...

Connor

LTDs were just to West of Gore Point, at least 1 male flew in from the east, there were about 23 males and imms and all the females were in a separate flock of 11 off the golf course , they eyed each other up for a while then all got together and flew off west. You Holme birders a luck lot to have such great birds.:t:

Had a Bittern this afternoon whilst working, filling in muddy puddles with rubble! It flew in and landed in the next field along from us, about 10 meters away. I had my back to it, so didn't catch it on the deck, but Eddie called "flippin' Bittern!" and I watched it as it flew off to another field out of view. Shame Eddie got so excited, as I dont think it would have realised we were there. It heared him, ruffled up its neck feathers and scarpered. Fab bird to be surprised by.

That plus a singing Cettis have the year list up to 136.

Jason

Last edited:

Had a walk around the area this afternoon, couldn't see much in the heavy fog but we were reeling off likely species...looks to be a great spot for warblers especialy as well as other broadland target species, what really impressed us was how seemingly wild the area was with no heavy reedbed management etc ~ lots of suitable scrub for a wide variaty of birds throughout the whole year. We did manage to hear Bearded Tits, Water Rail, Cettis Warbler and a very brief view of a male Marsh Harrier....unintentionally
walked beyond the last view point of the area by middle marsh drainage mill and ended up by Barton Broad!!!

Looks to be a bit of a backwater and possibly underwatched? so for anyone interested more information of the reserve can be found on the link below...

http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/catfield.html

Confusingly there seems to be another Catfield fen? or common in the area which we also visited, two Siskin, fly over Redpoll, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit and three Kingfisher were the only notable sightings...

Matt

Looks like a great place Matt........get down there and get watching in......you never know.

I see there has been a report of a possibel female lesser scaup at Thompson water - does anyone know what the access is like there? I'm tempted to pop over and check it in the moring.

Matt

yep. As our web page states, the reserve proper isn't open to the public except on one day a year, when we ferry people round in a boat. (this year it's on 15th June). This is because quite a bit of what you're seeing isn't ground but "hover" - floating vegitation over water. (And there's holes in it!- we're not kidding about the danger). Most of the reserve is approximately one inch above the water, making it amazingly easy to just walk into a dyke. The rond (a raised bank marked on the map) is a public footpath though, and quite safe and allows you to look over the reserve. (Technically the rond is owned by the local council, it's not part of the reserve)

We are clearing some scrub, but just enough to stop it taking over. We also manage the reed, but on an extended cutting cycle to benefit swallowtails and fen plants - rather than the shorter rotation that would favour birds. The birds do alright though - all the species you mention are there, and a few more as well. As you say a bit of wilderness - somewhere for the wildlife rather than the visitor, though we are very happy for people to walk the rond.

We have a working party on the 8th march, so if anyone would like to get their hands dirty and get into the reserve proper, let me know. Details here http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/events.html

do you know what the access is like, I'm thinking of giving it a punt but don't know how easy it will be with the pushchair.

When I was last there two years ago it was fine, the railway line is cinder - a few pot holes but nothing too bad, and there was faily wide footpaths around the side of the water.

Latest on the possible Lesser Scaup is that it flew off at 7am and no further sign by 9.30.

I'd be interested to hear more about this potential first for Norfolk! (assuming I haven't overlooked any other records!!!)

Chris

Access to Thompson Water is from the south-west side of Thompson village, then take bumpy track -drivable with care. This then leads to a straight metalled road and then to the edge of the Army training area, turn south which is Peddars Way down another bumpy track for 200yards. Entrance to TW is on left with small area for parking. Walk up on obvious path to view water

We are clearing some scrub, but just enough to stop it taking over. We also manage the reed, but on an extended cutting cycle to benefit swallowtails and fen plants - rather than the shorter rotation that would favour birds. The birds do alright though - all the species you mention are there, and a few more as well. As you say a bit of wilderness - somewhere for the wildlife rather than the visitor, though we are very happy for people to walk the rond.

We have a working party on the 8th march, so if anyone would like to get their hands dirty and get into the reserve proper, let me know. Details here http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/events.html

Thanks for that additional info, HarassedDad!!

Very interesting as neither of us had been to the area before, we will be going back around spring for warblers/migrants etc ~ will also be nice to view the reserve as a whole rather than only the 20 feet visibility we had on the day!!!

Matt

The bird at Thomson Water (possible Lesser Scaup) was seen early morning by a competent birder (who unfortunately only had binoculars) and described it as 'small, round headed, with limited white near the bill'
He said a scope would be necessary to confirm any i'd. As he was leaving a number of birds took off, although he thought that they would probably return!
The birds that flew were primarily Pochard and a smaller number of Tufteds and presumably the possible!
His main comment with bins was, 'It looked interesting'!
Unfortuately, obviously no further sign to the time of writing.

A little help required

The wife and I are coming up to Norfolk again for a few days birding next week.

We plan to try for a few lifers whilst there, WCS is one obvious bird and there is no shortage of info on that one.

RLB will still hopefully be at Burnham Norton which we know fairly well, but any extra info will be welcome.

I've seen mention of a Black Redstart at Binham Priory (which is very close to our accommodation). Is this bird still around - has it been there for the winter?

The wife needs a Twite; we already have some options to try for that one but again any more info will be welcome.

The last one is LEO, and if anyone would like to PM me some info regarding time and place for that I'd be very grateful - even to the wild extent of buying you a pint or two.

TIA :t:

I don't know anything about y'days sightings, Connor, only what was on the pager and nobody I have spoken to can shed any more light on it!
I assume it wasn't seen well as it was only ever a possible!

PS John P if anyone from North Norfolk PMs you about LEO, PM me and I'll buy you a pint!!! (or two!)

Last edited:
Sculthorpe Moor this afternoon produced 1 definite Willow Tit and 2 other possibles (possibles only because of brief, bad views. The first may have been the same as the first, but the second was in a different area). Also seen were 6+ Bramblings in the Whiteley hide feeding area, plus several others throughout the reserve, 20-30 Siskins, 1 Water Rail, 4+ Marsh Tits (one singing), 1 (2?) Little Egrets over, GS Woodpecker, Treecreeper, a male Bullfinch and several Yellowhammers along the driveway.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back