• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet but at the sparrow site i saw a barn owl out hunting.. unusual? well it was about 11:30 to 12:00am. Hungrey bird? Also a very quick visit from a male brambling at the seeded area.

Had another brilliant couple of days again got most of my target birds plus a few bonus ones. Got two Crossbills at Shouldham warren searching for Woodlarks. Female scaup of Titchwell. and manty other things everyone else had seen!

Cheers
Gareth

Gareth,
the Barn Owl has been seen regularly around Cley at various times of the day. There seems to be good numbers of Barn Owls in Norfolk at the moment (even more than usual), even though I have been told that it wasn't a particularly good breeding season. The brambling has been present on and off as long as the sparrow.

Glad you had a good visit! The crossbills in particular were good as there are not that many around at the moment.

Panic over, RBA have put it out as just a Scaup now assuming it's the same bird, which surely it must be!

Chris

I went over there this morning, along with a dozen or so others. The bird showed quite well and although fairly small was indeed just a scaup. A nice supporting cast though with 3/4 kingfishers flying around and a bittern in the reedbed.

Hi I wonder if anyone could help? Is there anywhere in the fakenham area where i can see tree sparrows. I've recently got back into birding after taking some years off having babies and i want to concentrate on birds that i haven't seen for a long time and enjoying them.
Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Charlie

Hi I wonder if anyone could help? Is there anywhere in the fakenham area where i can see tree sparrows. I've recently got back into birding after taking some years off having babies and i want to concentrate on birds that i haven't seen for a long time and enjoying them.
Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Charlie

You have a PM

Let that be a lesson to you! ;) You have to live here before you can have the privelage to post details! ;)

Yes sorry........should have left it to you Norfolk lads to sort it out yourselves:-O;)

Bittern seen again today, whilst fencing. Flew off from the middle of the muddy meadow as I was running through a gate to get to the tractor. I stopped and watched as it flew to a nearby reedbed. I really must stop flushing the poor bugger!

Jason

hi
another pair of visitors to your neck of the woods this weekend..me and our lass..
any tips on the golden pheasant sites?
will report the events of the weekend on here..(with pics if ok?)

hi
another pair of visitors to your neck of the woods this weekend..me and our lass..
any tips on the golden pheasant sites?
will report the events of the weekend on here..(with pics if ok?)

Hi there, birds still at Wolfterton triangle fairly recently, so try there. Up to three males have been seen.

Connor

Hi Steve, with regard to the Golden Pheasants,
Info if time is tight:
I usually park up on the southern road about 1/3 of the way down from the crossroads and wait. A male usually appears about 100 yards east of where I pull over, but not always! At least you can view most of the road in front and use wing mirrors to check behind!
Obviously you might be lucky and see one just cruising slowly around the site (I'd be interested to know where others watch from!)
Any time of day can produce sightings, but I like to arrive before dawn as the Woodcock here are wonderful in the dark!

Ah that's a shame. Thanks for the info. on another subject, does anoyone have any good tips on how to spot a lesser spotted woodpecker? I believe UEA is supposed to be a possible site for them but the only peckers I ever see are Great spotted and greens..

Thanks,

Jo

Golden Pheasants Wolferton

Hi Ruralchill, Re the pheasants sounds like I use the same stopping point as you do, ie. taking the turning nearest to Lynn not Hunstanton, and pulling over on the muddy patch/pull-in on the right , with another barred trackway entrance only a few yards further down on the left. The other option is to go down to the xroads parking area, and scan back up both roadways from the corner. I had 2 sightings, a few days either side of the new year, but in spite of spending a fair bit of time waiting and hoping for more views since then, I have only seen common pheasants.. Re being lucky cruising slowly round the Triangle this is a sure way to flush any G Pheasants back into cover, wher they are likely to stay !!! The stay put and wait is generally a better option. Ray roche

Thanks for the info. on another subject, does anoyone have any good tips on how to spot a lesser spotted woodpecker?
I will be interested in any tips you get Jo. I have been trying to spot one for months. There was one reported at Strumpshaw near the Reception when I was there on Saturday but I didn't have any luck finding it. Two more were reported near the Tower Hide when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I keep listening and scanning the tree tops but no luck so far.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back