• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Blackcap! (1 Viewer)

Renee Redstart

I keep reading your reports about certain birds like the Blackcap, that I've never seen, and thought I'd never get any of those. Well now I have!
I went out to fill up the small water tray in the rockery, which isn't far from my 'woodlandy' patch. In this patch I have a guardian cage with ground feed in. (It is a mixture of pinhead oats, prosecto insectivorous and sometimes mealworm crumble, together with sultanas). The Blackbirds are always first in, around 7.30am, followed by the small chaps and the Song Thrush (my one and only!).
Well this was around 9am when I spotted a male Blackcap eating away in there. I stood gaping, about 4 feet away, before it made off. I went back inside to double check my books (I never trust myself!), and record it in my week's list. Then I looked out and saw the Song Thrush and Chaffinches eating in there. Got the bins out to have a good look, and there was the Blackcap merrily eating amongst them all. They all seemed perfectly relaxed in there.
Sorry I haven't got a photo to match Sue's fantastic one she put on some time ago.
Well, another first for my garden. I'm getting all the Christmas presents I could ever wish for. :bounce:

Hi Renee,

Nice one, haven't had one in the garden in years; in fact this year I didn't see/hear very many of them, well down on recent years. Wonder why.

Keep looking, you never know what might pop in for a bite and a drink. ALWAYS hang your camera round your neck when you go out to the garden.

Be lucky, Bill.

Hi Renee,
Good one!!!
You must be thrilled!!
I know I would if I ever got one in my garden!!
Keep a look out for "Mrs"! She has a brown cap.
Best wishes,

So pleased for you Renee, super little bird aren't they. Gives you a special buzz doesn't it to put a new bird on your list. I hope he returns to your garden again and again. :t:

Happy Birding

Renee Redstart said:
I keep reading your reports about certain birds like the Blackcap, that I've never seen, and thought I'd never get any of those. Well now I have!
I went out to fill up the small water tray in the rockery, which isn't far from my 'woodlandy' patch. In this patch I have a guardian cage with ground feed in. (It is a mixture of pinhead oats, prosecto insectivorous and sometimes mealworm crumble, together with sultanas). The Blackbirds are always first in, around 7.30am, followed by the small chaps and the Song Thrush (my one and only!).
Well this was around 9am when I spotted a male Blackcap eating away in there. I stood gaping, about 4 feet away, before it made off. I went back inside to double check my books (I never trust myself!), and record it in my week's list. Then I looked out and saw the Song Thrush and Chaffinches eating in there. Got the bins out to have a good look, and there was the Blackcap merrily eating amongst them all. They all seemed perfectly relaxed in there.
Sorry I haven't got a photo to match Sue's fantastic one she put on some time ago.
Well, another first for my garden. I'm getting all the Christmas presents I could ever wish for. :bounce:

Congratulations Renee!!!! Oh I could so easliy catch so much of your excitement in relaying that to us all, I'm delighted for you as i know just how beautiful they are. Keep looking out for Mrs now Renee, bet a bob she's not far away so GOOD LUCK!!! We don't always NEED a photo as the one in our minds is a beauty to keep anyway, one thing to remember when you can't take a photo is that the photographer often escapes little wonders of the Bird whilst looking at the camera etc!

Sue

Update

Thanks to all who have shared in my happiness over my Blackcap. Just thought you'd like to know that he returned several times over the course of yesterday. He seemed to like the food, and happily ate alongside the dunnocks, chaffinches thrush and the robin. And he was back today. Although I didn't have the time to look out much, I did see him there twice. I'm hoping he'll use this as a regular feeding place, now that he's found it. He's the only one, and I'll let you know if this changes.

Renee Redstart said:
Thanks to all who have shared in my happiness over my Blackcap. Just thought you'd like to know that he returned several times over the course of yesterday. He seemed to like the food, and happily ate alongside the dunnocks, chaffinches thrush and the robin. And he was back today. Although I didn't have the time to look out much, I did see him there twice. I'm hoping he'll use this as a regular feeding place, now that he's found it. He's the only one, and I'll let you know if this changes.
Hi Renee, Lucky you! I had a very brief visit from a Blackcap but I've never seen him again. Hope yours stays and brings his "wife" with him too! All the best, Judo.

Judo said:
Hi Renee, Lucky you! I had a very brief visit from a Blackcap but I've never seen him again. Hope yours stays and brings his "wife" with him too! All the best, Judo.
I think we've been writing responses to each other's birds at the same time! Yes, I'm keeping a lookout for Mrs. Blackcap too.

Renee Redstart said:

Such good news Renee! With luck and the food there then not much doubting the fact that he'll be back. I just HOPE dearly that she will visit you also. Fingers crossed Renee!! Best wishes,

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back