• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moulting magpie or hybrid with Hooded Crow? (1 Viewer)

Zheljko

:eek!:
I found this strange bird today, in company of several crows and one normal magpie. As you can see it is huge and unusually colored. The head seems to be moulting.

Attachments

• Fotografija5555.jpg
    Fotografija5555.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Fotografija5557.jpg
    Fotografija5557.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 252
I,d say a juvenile magpie, I hear and see our regular pair of magpies in our neibours trees which have juveniles They have most of The Features of the adults but some features are lacking as in the plumage of the birds head in The photo which has not filled out Yet like a adult magpie.

IMHO its a Magpie (Pica pica), just with a "light" head :) Probably a juvenile. I see many juveniles with such appearances here in Cyprus this time of year.

Common Magpie. By the length of the tail it's an adult and the "strange" head is possibly down to feather loss due to a mite ( ? ) infestation.

Yes Magpie in moult, quite normal at this time of year.

Hybrids between corvidae are extremely rare, and have, as far as I know, never occurred between different taxa (eg Pica and Corvus).

Claims of hybrids between Pica pica and Corvus corone/cornix have invariably proved to be Hooded or Carrion Crows with whitish remiges/retrices (due to leucism or lack of nutrition during feather growth)

Peter

Yes, just a raggedy magpie... from the post preview (esp. the word "huge") I was wondering about an escaped one of the African species of "pied" crows/ravens!

I heard a claim of a Magpie/Jackdaw hybrid once, but there were no pictures of it (I suspect it was just a leucistic Jackdaw), or indeed any definite corvid hybrid other than Carrion x Hooded (which some people consider to be only subspecies rather than full species anyway). Also I think Magpies and Crows aren't particularly close together in the corvid family tree (oddly, Jays are closer to crows/ravens/jackdaws IIRC)...

Thank you all! The extent of white around "armpits" seemed rather excessive (as if it had black "hairs" on white background). The other magpie, which was further away, seemed to have these areas mostly black (I guess it is an older adult). I wish I could get them both in the photo, but this one actually approached me somewhat and they could not be in the same frame (they were all inside a city block on a lawn).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back