• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best hotels in the world with quality birding in the grounds or immediately adjacent (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Best accomm. in the world with quality birding in the grounds or immediately adjacent

Any recommendations or tips?

With retirement possibly just 5 years away, I may look at splashing out on a birding trip of a lifetime.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited:
The Pueblo Hotel in Aguas Calientes below Macchu Pichu in Peru has superb birding in their garden and Cock-of-the-Rock etc a short walk away.

There is a fantastic hotel on the shore of the Beagle Channel at Ushuaia on Tierra del Fuego where you can watch the variety of wildfowl, gulls and seabirds inc Black-browed Albatross from your room if you are on the right side. Can't remember the name.

Steve

Depends on your definition of a hotel, as there are many wildlife lodges that have great birding on the doorstep. Regua in Brazil is an excellent option, or any of various Amazonian lodges etc etc etc.

El Toruno hotel at El Rocio in Coto Doñana is right on the water's edge - not too great if you can't sleep to the racket of honking Flamingos half the night or despise being woken up by the song of Great Reed Warbler ;) From a European standpoint its a superb spot to stay, From your balcony you'll get 50 species plus before breakfast inc. many very decent waterbirds and some raptors. A little walk around the vicinity of the hotel and there is plenty more. Just avoid it June-October and avoid also if there has been a very dry winter.

Some brilliant thoughts here, many thanks.

I've changed the wording in the title to 'Best accommodation' (rather than best hotels).

Best I've ever stayed at was Point-No-Point Resort at Sooke, on Vancouver Island. Brilliant birding on your doorstep with Ancient and Marbled Murrelets, Divers/Loons, Stellars Jays, Rufous Hummingbirds, Bald Eagles, Golden-crowned Sparrows, Red-breasted Sapsuckers etc..............maybe fairly standard North American stuff but a great place for a WP birder.

http://www.pointnopointresort.com/

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to consider which part of the world / habitats / species are of most interest to you, and then look for options. For example, there are some fantastic eco-lodges in Amazonia with bird lists around the 600 species mark, but birding in lowland tropical forest is not everybody's cup to tea. It will also take you a couple of days to get from the UK to your destination, and the same to get back.

Out of interest, if this is to be the trip of a lifetime, does it make sense to restrict yourself to a single hotel / lodge, and are you going to be with your family? If the latter, I would be inclined to think about somewhere like a self-drive to Kruger NP in South Africa, staying in chalets at a couple of the camp grounds.

My suggestion would be to consider which part of the world / habitats / species are of most interest to you, and then look for options. For example, there are some fantastic eco-lodges in Amazonia with bird lists around the 600 species mark, but birding in lowland tropical forest is not everybody's cup to tea. It will also take you a couple of days to get from the UK to your destination, and the same to get back.

Out of interest, if this is to be the trip of a lifetime, does it make sense to restrict yourself to a single hotel / lodge, and are you going to be with your family? If the latter, I would be inclined to think about somewhere like a self-drive to Kruger NP in South Africa, staying in chalets at a couple of the camp grounds.

And you may need to remortgage your house......;)

A few suggestions

Santa Marta Lodge and/or Montezuma in Colombia
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest Camp - Uganda
Rancho Naturalista - Costa Rica
O'Reilly's - Lamington NP Australia
Asa Wrights - Trinidad
Weda Dive Resort - Halmahera
Cassowary House - Karunda near Cairns and /or Cairns hotel with estuary view
Coconut Grove - Ghana - good birding in ground but day trips to NP and Picathartes site

would also back up Kumul in PNG, or anywhere in Kruger.

I did think about a self-drive around Kruger as I would love to see Leopard.
Great for birding too.

Thanks people - the idea of the OP was to be a general good advice post for anyone looking for such a place.

Keep them coming, thanks again.

Last edited:
Some of the firest lodges in Borneo are also very hood - Danum Valley, and rspecially those along the Seringapatam River , where you don’t even need to wslk to see a host of forest birds because you bird in small boats, thus avoiding the leeches, mosquitos, mud and having to carry stuff. And if even thst’s too exhausting you can sit on the verandah and have a beer as the hornbills fly in to roost. These river lodges are also good for non birding spouses as thy have spas and massage as well as hood mammals like Orang Utan, pygmy elephant, proboscis Monkey, Estuarine Croc etc. You also stay in one of rhe hotels in Sepilok which have Blue-winged Pitta breeding in the garden and the well manages rainforsst discovery centre close by

Also in Sri Lanka Vil Uyana close to Sigiriya is a wonderful five star ecolodge built on a wetland converted from abandoned paddies. One night an otter crapped on the side of our own mini pool and the next night a fishing cat did the same! As a creatws wetland in. The groonds hold masses of waterbirds in addition to the mammals.

Perhaps my favourite is at Wadi Dana in Jordan. Set on the edge of a big gorge with Griffons on the far wall lots of dry country birds (Sooty Falcon, wheatears, Tristram’s Grackle etc)and migrants in spring and autumn, plus spectacular views down the wadi - magnificent!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back