• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

The Betlem coast path this afternoon, found the Bonelli's Warblers, seemed to be at least 3 at the woods at Es Calo. Also Willow Warbler, Redstart, Pied and Spotted Flycatcher.

Hi All

I´m just back at s´Albufera after six days mothing on the island of Cabrera. We only just managed to get there as the sea conditions were rather rough, to say the least. They were only slightly better on the way back this morning when we had to leave a day early due to the availability of a boat (staff change-over day).

We had an interesting time but it was hard work - not helped by me getting a cold two days into the trip which I´m finding hard to shake off.

Managed to spend some time birding and there were several waves of migrant activity during the time we were there. The day we arrived (18th) we saw a Black Kite passing through and there were lots of Chiffchaff around which left after two days to be replaced by numerous Willow Warbler. Throughout there were lots of Redstart, Whinchat and Wheatear, plus plenty of flava Wagtail, local and migrant Spotted Flycatchers and Woodchat Shrike, plus Pied Flycatchers, Whiethroat and Subalpine Warbler. There were also Nightingale, Tree Pipit, Turtle Dove and Short-toed Lark. We heard Stone Curlew every evening and saw the resident Ospreys daily. For me, the best birds were several Black-eared Wheatear (both sexes) and a cracking male of the eatern form, with the all black throat. We also had one Bee-eater on two consecutive days and I saw four yesterday evening - all within 10m of me - and Balearic Warbler less than 2m away. Not a massive list but some superb close views.

Despite the rough seas we had good close views of both Balearic and Cory´s Shearwater on the trip back to Sa Rapita.

Added to that we managed to more than triple the list of moths recorded for the island. All aided by the help and generous hospitality of all the staff, etc., there.

Oh. I forgot to mention that we also saw Genet.

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks Martin, great news about the moths, well done. It has been a good year for Black-eared wheatear I believe. I have yet to see Genet, it seems they are not rare, just hard to see! I am coming up tomorrow so hope to bump into you. Hope the cold gets better. Mike

First Griffon Vulture born in Mallorca

Hi!
Last 20th April were observed in Tramuntana the first chick of Griffon Vulture.
This is a great new for Balearics!
Now we must remain vigilant to their interaction with the Black Vulture.

Regards,

Cristina.

Hi All

A few more sightings from s´Albufera and nearby.

Wednesday 25:
2 Common Tern
4 Wood Sandpiper
3 Curlew Sandpiper
3 Little Stint
2 Black-necked Grebe still at the Depuradora, also pr Shelduck with 4 ducklings and 7 Common Sand.
Great White Egret at Cami des Polls area, with 4 Whinchat, >15 Whiskered Tern, numerous Wood Sands, some Little Stint and a Temmink´s Stint plus a Grey Plover.

Thursday 26:
A very late Robin
A couple of singing Willow Warbler
Singing Sedge Warbler
2 Gull-billed Tern
1 Whiskered Tern
2 Marbled Duck
6 Wood Sandpiper
1 Curlew Sand
6 Green Sand
Small flock of Bee-eater around the reception Centre calling

Martin

Hi Nick

It´s the area at the back of the Parc at the opposite end to the entrance, marked Siguia des Polls on this map
http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/archivopub.do?ctrl=MCRST34ZI78161&id=78161

It´s accessed from the road that goes past the power station heading inland from the coast. When you go over the narrow bridge (Pont de Can Blau), where there´s a traffic priority sign, take the rough road directly ahead (the main road does a sharp right so you need to be very careful of traffic). At the end there´s another bridge over a canal, then you are at the Cami des Polls area. Access from the bridge is only on foot.

I hope this helps

Martin

thanks Martin we are coming out for a week in PPollensa on Saturday and really looking forward to it.

cheers nick

Just booked me four nights in Puerto Pollensa, 7th - 11th May. Now to go and have a look through this thread and get my appetite well and truly whet!

Hi Nick

I´m here until next Friday (4 May), based in s´Albufera, so we may bump in to each other. Whatever the case, have an enjoyable trip.

Martin

oh, and as I'm travelling alone - there is a spare place in the hotel if anyone may be interested, apparently, single people don't go on holiday!

Hi Nick

They do, but usually have to pay more for the privilege!

Just returned from a night mothing in the mountains but added a few birds to the list. Saw several pairs of Griffon Vulture this morning soaring below the mountain tops, a couple of Black Vulture and heard 2 Wryneck (also had Scops Owl near the moth trap last night.

In case moths are of interest, among the trap catch we saw four specimens of Antheraea pernyi the Chinese Oak Silkmoth and 19 specimens of Hyles livornica the Striped Hawk-moth.

On the way back down the mountain, avoiding the inevitable cyclists, we saw 4 Bee-eater perch on telegraph wires by the side of the road.

Martin

A three hour walk around Mongragó saw some good migration with 11 Bee-eaters over, about 50 Spotted flycatchers, 2 Tawny pipits and Woodchat. Also 4 Stone curlew, two with young, many Nightingales and a Wryneck.

Just back from 10 days near Campenet. 109 species in total. Amongst highlights were:
Marbled Duck
Black Stork
Gull Billed Tern
Whiskered Tern
Gargeney
Turtle Dove
Great White Egret
Spoonbill
Griffon & Black Vulture
Flock of 23 (yes, 23!) Marsh Sandpiper at Es Trenc
Heavy passage of Booted Eagles for the whole 10 days - lost count but 7-8x the number I have ever seen before on the island.
Mid Holiday - the largest build up of Hirudines I have ever seen over 3 days. Anywhere on the island we went you could not look anywhere without the whole sky being full of birds looking like swarms of insects. Impossible to estimate numbers but in the hundreds of thousands, probably millions. Then gone next day. Astonising birding experience.
We had given up any hope of picking anything unusual out of those numbers (Pallids, etc) when we had great views of a red breasted swallow of sub-species transitiva - first I've ever seen.

Andrew

Hi

Yes, there seem to be lots of Wood Sand around. Had a flock of 10 or more plus another group of 20 the other day at s´Albufera.

A very brief tour round the hides at s´Albufera before dusk provided good views of 2 Little Stint and 2 Curlew Sandpiper at CIM plus 19 more at Bishop I, 2 juv Spoonbill, 2 Common Tern, 2 Green Sand. and a Sanderling.

Collared Praticole had also been seen today.

Martin

Friday at S'Albufera:
Gull-Billed Tern at Sa Roca. Flock of 26 Wood Sand and a 7 flock of Temminck's Stint at Bishop 1. Stone Curlew circus near dusk. Here also A Black-Winged Stilt pair with 3 new chicks. Spoonbill over. Great White Egret from The Mound above Sa Roca.
On 24th 2 Glossy Ibis circling the Egret and Night heron colony back of Bishop 2. 1st reported 19th by Centre. 24th was my first ever "9 Heron Day." 8 species on S'Albufera and Great White Egret at S'Albufereta. On Friday only managed 7...:(
Just returned to UK from a great week in the North. Will link back a report soon. Also will link to HD videos we took whilst there. ;)

A few grabs and photos: Nightingale, Baby BW Stilt, Crested Coot, GB Tern and Temmint's.

Attachments

• nightingale s'albufera 24.04.12redux.jpg
    nightingale s'albufera 24.04.12redux.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 73
  • bws baby.jpg
    bws baby.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 72
  • cc redux.jpg
    cc redux.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 60
  • gbt.JPG
    gbt.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 86
  • Temint's.JPG
    Temint's.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Just home from a 4 day birding break at Porto de Pollenca. Saw 80+ species which was nice for my first time in Mallorca. Excellent weather too. Photos to follow. See my Flickr link also.

Richard

Hi

Managed a quick trip round the hides at s´Albufera today but they were absolutely full of birders. I´ve never seen the hides so busy. Among them was Nick (from above), so it was nice to put a face to a name.

Still a nice group of summer plumage Curlew Sand., and Spotted Redshank (10 and 20ish, respectively), Little Stint, Sanderling, Greenshank, Common Sand. 4 Marbled Duck, 4 Avocet, 2 Common Tern, 1 Whiskered Tern, 3 Great White Egret. Black-winged Stilt young are starting to appear everywhere so the adults are getting frantic and noisy. Small group of six or so Glossy Ibis at Cami des Polls and one Spoonbill was seen just before I got to Bishop I.

Barn Owl calling outside as I write this.

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back