• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Managed a quick trip round the hides at s´Albufera today but they were absolutely full of birders. I´ve never seen the hides so busy. Among them was Nick (from above), so it was nice to put a face to a name.

Do the hides at Albufera double as tardis - Nick posted that he will be on the island from 7th - 11th May ;)

Sorry Nick.

It must be a touch of the sun (or wind burn)!

It must have been the ´other´ Nick (aka Thorin).

Easily confused of s´Albufera!!

As we're also going Saturday a quick question please. Can you go into the reserve after 6 int the evening ? I know it states it is closed but some things are better at dusk .

Hi Les

The front gates are locked when the last member of staff leaves, mainly to keep unauthorised vehicles out and to deter the ´casual´visitor. However, there are often quite a few people in the Parc after that time (I´ve even found some long after nightfall - well wrapped against the mozzies).

I would suggest that you speak to the staff manning the reception centre on your first visit and see if you can get them to give you early/late access permits. Please also remember to log important or interesting sightings with them. You can pick up the latest list of species, i.e. those seen in the 15 days up to the end of April. This gives a good idea about what to expect but if there´s something specific that you want to see, they may be able to offer help as to where the last ones were seen (e.g. there´s an elusive flock of c.25 Glossy Ibis at present, most often seen near the back of the Parc in the Cami des Polls area). Most birders in the hides, even if not English, will tell you what´s been seen and where.

The summer plumage Black-necked Grebe are still on the Depuadora.

I hope to get a final trip round the hides before I leave so there will be one final post as I´m back to the UK tomorrow morning.

Martin

Hi Martin, many thanks for posting all your sightings. I am in an internet shop having had my computer infected with a deadly virus, it is probably ruined, so I may be a bit quiet for a few days! I hope you will make it back here soon, Michael

Hi Michael

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, I hope to be back in the autumn - hopefully to better moths.

My last trip round the hides found them strangely empty of people. CIM gave a Purple Heron, 2 Redshank, some Kentish Plover and a Black-headed Gull (first of the trip). BISHOP I was, as usual, the most interesting, with Common and Whiskered Tern, 3 Avocet, the long-staying Oystercatcher, Sanderling, 3 Marbled Duck, 9 Curlew Sand, 5 Common Sand, 4 Spotted Redshank and 1 White Wagtail. BISHOP II just added another Common Sand and a Ringed Plover.

To everyone here, or about to come here, enjoy your visit.

Best wishes

Martin

Just back from a 5 night birding trip (my first to Majorca), with personal highlights for myself and 2 friends being: Black Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, Balearic Warbler, Moustached Warbler, Red-knobbed Coot and Marbeled Duck. Plenty of other good birds too including Collared Pratincoles, Bee Eaters, Tawny Pipits...... with over 90 species seen.

A note for any first time visitors and using 'A birding tourist guide to Majorca', don't turn up thinking Moustached Warbler and Balearic Warbler are easy to connect with because they aren't, with the latter being particularly difficult.

Neil

Glad you had a good trip NAB, sounds like you did! Yes, Moustached are quite difficult really and Balearic warbler can be hard too. Watch and wait seems to be the best policy. I usually have lunch near the end of the Bóquer Valley and after a while the Balearics usually show themselves. Not for long mind you! Scop's owls tonight but no Nightjars churring yet.

Mike,

Yes Boquer Valley is where we had them, and talking to another birder who put us onto them, it looks like someone has marked the spot where to stand?

Really enjoyed it up there as quite a few migrants including Redstarts, Pied Flys, Tawny Pipits, 5 Red Kites and an un id'd large eagle, which someone else claimed as Bonelli's, but we didn't get enough on it?

For Moustached Warbler we took the main entrance into S'Albufera then the first left where after a few hundred yards there is a raised platform. After a short while we had great scoped views on both sides of the track.

Neil

The eagle species could well have been Bonelli's. They are part of a re-introduction scheme and have been seen there. The other possibility is Golden eagle, one has been here for many years and was originally an escape. Hope this helps. Mike

What a way to start the New Year, a new bird, Italian sparrow near Villafranca. Also Reed bunting, Hoopoe, Fan-tailed warbler, Sardinian warbler and Booted eagle. Let's hope 2012 continues to provide many new and exciting birds. Good birding to you all. Michael

Great thread Mike.

Superb species on the go with yourself.

Never heard of Golden Eagles on any of the islands yet.

Regards
Kathy
x

Well finally got round to posting about our excellent week in PPollensa. Superb weather and a lot of migrants.

In response to the posts above i was suprised to see Golden Eagle over the Albefuereta I guessed it could have been an escape. We also had a pair of Bonellis Eagles over the Boquer on two occasions.

There did seem to be a lot of Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers around, pick of the migrants was a Bonellis warbler on the rural track leading into Cala San Vincente last Wednesday as well as Cirl Buntings and 10 Redstarts and 2 Pied flycatchers.

In the Boquer last friday an early morning walk found the whole valley with lots of migrants, including a Great Reed Warbler singing and showing from palms half way to the sea and a Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the same area. At least a dozen Redstarts including a nice male, a male Pied Flycatcher, Woodchat Shrike, a Whitethroat, 2 winchats and 2 Bonellis eagles over the ridge. After an hour waiting succesfully to see a Marmoras Warbler the walk back produced only a couple of Redstarts but the finca had 30 Beeaters flying around it for a couple of minutes.

Other good birds during the week were a male Black Headed Wagtail at the Albefuereta on Monday, 2 Squacco Herons at the Albefuera roost, Whiskered Tern showing very well outside Bishops 2 and Spoonbill outside Bishops 1, Moustached Warbler, several Stone Curlews showing very well, two Red rumped Swallows and 3 Eleanoras Falcons.

One of the things that did amaze me was the sheer number of Swifts on some days, particularly last Friday when early evening on the Llenaire road there were many thousands with numerous other Hirundines mixed in.

All in all a very enjoyable trip and it was also nice to meet Martin in bishops 1 hide on tuesday.

cheers Nick

We had a fantastic 4 nights on Mallorca last week. The weather was unseasonably hot and the scenery, people and food were much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who posted info or replied to requests. Mike Montier was especially helpful - thanks Mike!

Our overall impression was that most migrants were present in lower numbers than expected, and raptors were relatively thin on the ground. Having said that, we caught up with all 6 of my targets as follows:

Scopoli's Shearwater - a few off Formentor lighthouse, including one close in which gave great views of the underwing and bill differences, amongst others.

Black Vulture - single adult at Cuber and immature at Gorg Blau. The Cuber bird repeatedly passed low over us; the other was perched high on a ridge waiting for the thermals to start.

Eleonora's Falcon - up to 7-8 together at once at Formentor with pale phase greatly outnumbering darks. The scenery here is incredible and watching these birds swoop around the cliffs over a stunning azure sea was a real highlight.

Marbled Duck - one from Bishop's Hide.

Balearic Warbler - some great views of birds on territory at the Boquer Valley. Easy once you entered the lower rosemary-dominated maquis.

Moltoni's Warbler - a very responsive male at Cuber.

Mallorca was a great place to visit and very easy to travel around. Even in a few days, we covered much of the NW of the island and could have done much more if it wasn't for the Mojitos....

Fantastic photos Jos, well done. Glad you all had a great time, it really is a lovely place to visit and good birds too! Eleanora's at Formentor are a spectacle that's for sure. At s'Albufera there are a few good birds, Squacco heron in full breeding plumage is a brilliant bird to see, 5 Honey buzzard, Whiskered tern, 3 Wood sandpipers, Bee-eater and Marbled duck.

Good numbers of Honey buzzard passing through today, about time too. By the way, Grasshopper warbler is a good bird to see, there are never very many so to get one reeling is a good find.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back