• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

The Pallid Harriers appear to have moved through, also RF Falcons but I,ve had a female Bonellis over the garden, along with all the normal resident raptors/vultures. Voltore Negro centre reports pair of Egyptian Vutures around Arta & Mostitx. Centre worth visting (Buger), open M W F - they need support as all their funding has ceased.
Migration is limited, not surprising but a Whiskered & GB Tern next to each other at the Depuradura was good. Bee Eaters on the road down there and a GW Egret at Albufereta.

Re Pallids I wasn't sure if Swifts or Harriers were meant - the same for Bonnelli's, Eagles or Warblers.

Whichever was meant, have a good trip.

Great news about the American Golden Plover and some great pics (as usual).

Martin

Hi all
Just returned from a week staying in the South near Cala D'Or. My trip was a bit more low key on the birds this time than on previous visits and for the first time I didn't even do S'albufera.

Can anyone confirm that Spring came early to Mallorca this year?? I have been at around this time before and seen orchids whereas this trip we didn't see a single plant still in flower (due to the low position of the Gulf stream over Spain for a long while ??).

Also, does anyone know if Western Orphean Warbler sightings are reasonably regular in Mallorca? I'm certain I had one (a Mallorca first for me) on 27th May in the garden of our accommodation which is normally great for all sorts of migrants. I've seen this species elsewhere and at Hartlepool Headland so I'm familiar with it. Would this be a late record normally?

Other trip highlights were a day at Cuber on 29 May with raptors: 1 Honey buzzard, 2 Golden Eagle, 1 Booted, 2 Black Vultures, 8 or 9 Griffons, 1 Red Kite + great views of Iberian Water Frog (and lots of non-native American Crayfish) below the dam and my first Scorpion (Buthus Ibericus) at Mondrago in the South. 6 Bee Eaters over the Arta Parc Natural car park on 1st June.

My usual site for breeding Alpine Swift at Castel de Santueri drew a blank but I did get Firecrest and Blue Rock Thrush but no Crag Martin either.

Cheers, Andy

Orphean warbler is rare and I think needs a description, a great record, well done. I don't know the reason but I did not see many Orchids before I left (I have been in the USA for four weeks and missed so much) I have never seen scorpion in Mondrago and I go there nearly every day! Sounds like a good day out at Cuber, one of my favourite places. Mike.

Looks like I got confused about Pallids, I think you meant harriers, sorry! This year has been very special for raptor migration, there have been an increasing amount of Pallid harrier coming through the Island, this year being exceptional. There is normally only one record per year, May being the best month. They will probably all have moved through by now. Record numbers of Honey buzzard this year also. Mike

I have been looking for trip reports for mallorca during July/August. The vast majority are for the spring and autumn migrations. Is there somewhere I can find a checklist for birds during July/August?. I hope to visit s'Albufera, Port de Pollenca, Boquer Valley and mainly Albufereta as it is near to the hotel and I will be relying on public transport to visit the rest.

Hi Paul

We went in July accompanied by a motley selection of teenage and even older offspring.

We expected not to see that many birds, but given that our companions (just like at home) spent most of the time lazing about on the beach we had the daytime free for birding.

Given that July is not the greatest month for birds we were surprised to see
most of the specialities and more.
Albafueretta and Albafuerra were great and Cuber etc was as good as it could be.

Off to Greece in a couple of days so don't really have time just now for more details, send me an e mail in a couple of weeks if you need more detail.

best regards

Merlin

Orphean warbler is rare and I think needs a description, a great record, well done. I don't know the reason but I did not see many Orchids before I left (I have been in the USA for four weeks and missed so much) I have never seen scorpion in Mondrago and I go there nearly every day! Sounds like a good day out at Cuber, one of my favourite places. Mike.

Thanks for this Mike. I have been included in the Mallorca report in past years for a couple of finds but submitted my records via Graham Hearl. Where do submissions go these days? Typically one of these has just turned in Devon !

I've attached a pic of my Mondrago scorpion. I think it's Buthus Ibericus. We found it while we were turning stones for Geckos on one of the main paths in the pines past the 2nd beach. Cracking find for us. For future reference, where in Mondrago would be the best place for Tortoise species?

Attachments

• Mondrago_scorpion.jpeg
    Mondrago_scorpion.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 83
Paul

Last year we were there for first 2 weeks in August. Spent most of time around S'Albufera. It was a very dry summer so the pools at all the main hides were dried out. Some of the species we had were wood sandpiper, avocet, temmnicks stint, osprey, quail, booted eagle, moustached warbler, various herons and egrets, marbled duck,audoins gull etc
S'Albufera easy by bus.

regards
Sean

I have been looking for trip reports for mallorca during July/August. The vast majority are for the spring and autumn migrations. Is there somewhere I can find a checklist for birds during July/August?. I hope to visit s'Albufera, Port de Pollenca, Boquer Valley and mainly Albufereta as it is near to the hotel and I will be relying on public transport to visit the rest.

Hi Andy

I'm no scorpion expert but I did a quick check on Fauna Europaea and http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/index.php for the scorpion species that you mention.

The former only mentions two species for the Balearic Islands, Euscorpius (Euscorpius) balearicus Di Caporiacco 1950 and Euscorpius (Tetratrichobothrius) flavicaudis (De Geer 1778).

B. ibericus was described as recently as 2004 but I've been unable to find any reference to specimens outside mainland Spain.

Whichever species it is, I think you have an interesting record.

Best wishes

Martin

I am still in America but will post an e-mail address for bird records as soon as I get back. I can't remember offhand, but I will look it up.

Hi Mike

I assume that it is the one mentioned in the Birding Tourist's Guide, if so.......

a recording sheet can be requested from [email protected] and returned to the same address.

Accepted records are then published in a number of journals and GOB has published an annual summary in the Balearic Bird Report (Anuari Ornitòlogic de sa Balears) since 1991 (see http://www.gobmallorca.com/informa-t/publicacions/anuari-ornitologic where there is also an index by species).

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Andy

I'm no scorpion expert but I did a quick check on Fauna Europaea and http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/index.php for the scorpion species that you mention.

The former only mentions two species for the Balearic Islands, Euscorpius (Euscorpius) balearicus Di Caporiacco 1950 and Euscorpius (Tetratrichobothrius) flavicaudis (De Geer 1778).

B. ibericus was described as recently as 2004 but I've been unable to find any reference to specimens outside mainland Spain.

Whichever species it is, I think you have an interesting record.

Best wishes

Martin

That's a huge help Martin. I think Euscorpius balearicus looks spot on for this judging by other online images.
Flavicaudis is a very dark species unlike our find. I was intending posting on another forum to see if anyone else knew what it was. I'll still do this but I suspect you've nailed it.
all the best, Andy

I am now back in Mallorca after four weeks in the USA. I have missed a first for Mallorca and the best Honey Buzzard day from the watchtower, about 489 birds recorded in a single day. To have seen 60 in the air at the same time must have been incredible. I will be out and about and will report on what is still around but I think I may have missed the best bit! Mike

I arrived on the island yesterday and will be here till the 20th. Nothing much of note yet except to mention that Albufera marsh doesn't open it's gates till 09.00 (not 08.00 as mentioned in the latest Gosney guide) Also Black Vulture over the Formentor road.

Hi Andy

If you read through previous posts you will see that it is possible to get earlier access to s'Albufera (on foot). Just ask at reception.

Have a great visit.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back