• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probable hybrid Black Redstart X Common Redstart, ochruros X phoenicurus (1 Viewer)

I'm assuming that wing formula ruled out some of the more Redstart-like Eastern races of Black-Redstart.... is it phoenicuroides. It certainly looks more like Redstart in build.

From the page linked to :-

*The bird closely resembles the phoenicuroides subspecies of Black Redstart but because of pale mantle colour, distinct white wing-patch and long wing, is most likely a hybrid between Black Redstart and Common Redstart. Perhaps the song, quite extensive pale patch on belly and vent also point in that direction. The emarginations and wing-formula are much like Black Redstart but P8 is longer than found in most of the those (1). The bird cannot be samamisicus Common Redstart because of wing-formula, extensive black throat-patch, indistinctiviness of the white forehead patch and song. What was most likely the same bird was present at the same place in September 2000.*

Certainly sounds much more Black than Common Redstart to me.

Andy.

looks a ringer for semirufus Black Red

this very similar to phoenicuroides too!

PS, try Madge and Beaman or Jonsson for semirufus - the Collins guide bird is strange indeed...!

Tim

Last edited:
Dear all, Please see the attachment. We get several birds like this every year in Kuwait. I would be grateful to hear opinions about the identity of this bird.
Best wishes,
George Gregory.

Attachments

• REDSTART.jpg
    REDSTART.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 263
ggoldie51 said:
Dear all,
Here is a higher quality attachment.
Best wishes,
George Gregory.

The bird in your photo is Phoenicurus OCHRUROS ssp. phoenicuroides

This kind of birds are quite common wintering bird species e.g. in United Arab Emirates and Oman. This bird breeds in Central Asia and resemble quite much those hybrids.

Hannu :eek!:

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
so does the reduced white in the wing of the orig. bird indicate semirufus?

Svensson says that P.o.semirufus's back (Syria, Lebanon, Israel) is VERY black and there is not any white 'panel' in the wing. Small size , wing 76-81 (n 7)
Adult male reminds ssp. rufiventris.

> so this original bird's wing was 89 mm, and it has also white panel in the wing, so it can not be semirufus !

Last edited:
Dear all,
I am most grateful for your information.
I have seen semirufus listed in at least several countries to the east of its breeding range, even in India! This would require an eastward migration, and I don't think that this is what happens. Probably the birds involved were phoenicuroides or other eastern subspecies. Does anyone have a picture of some eastern subspecies. It would be very useful for us.
Thank you again for your kind help. Best wishes,
George.

hannu said:
Svensson says that P.o.semirufus's back (Syria, Lebanon, Israel) is VERY black and there is not any white 'panel' in the wing. Small size , wing 76-81 (n 7)
Adult male reminds ssp. rufiventris.

> so this original bird's wing was 89 mm, and it has also white panel in the wing, so it can not be semirufus !

see illustrations in Jonsson, Madge and Beaman etc.... all show a greyish bird with a slight wing panel for semirufus

I don't know who's right but Lars Jonsson is hardy ever wrong...

Tim Allwood said:
see illustrations in Jonsson, Madge and Beaman etc.... all show a greyish bird with a slight wing panel for semirufus

I don't know who's right but Lars Jonsson is hardy ever wrong...

Do you have English version from Fågelguiden- Europas och Medelhavsområdets fåglar i fält (Svensson, Zetterström, Killian Mullarney, Peter J. Grant), year 1999?

There is a good picture from semirufus. That bird has same dark black back as the breast. Maybe in brevious photo link from semirufus is not fresh plumage bird. And there is "non-existent panel" . I think that Svensson is GURU in these cases !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back