Thread: Alderney
View Single Post
Old Monday 21st June 2004, 09:38   #4
Eagle

Alderney part 2

Nerine - yes a trilander! do go over its well worth it look up the Alderney website first and see where you need to go to see the Gannets as well as a Visit to Longis Pond Hide.I visited a bird hide near Vale last year when I paid my first visit to Guernsey. Loved the Island!
Andrew I'm going to Jersey in late October will be visiting Jersey Zoo. Staying in St Helier so any tips about where to go birding will be welcome.
Part 2
Longis Pond Bird Hide The Alderney Wildlife Trust have built a delightful Hide with great views of this natural pond. Pride of place to a pair of Little Grebes and their 3(?) babies! Absolutely fabulous. Very good parents...keeping fingers crossed they are all surviving. Coot and 1 young seen relatively coexisting well. Moorhen and 1 young very timid and strangely noisey ...calling to young all the time. I dont know if there were more young thats all I saw. Visited the pond twice..once with local help and
once on my own. Saw more on pond the second time. First visit saw my first
pair of Cuckoos sitting on telegraph wires overlooking the pond...lots of Meadow Pipits in the areas...was told that meadow pipits were often targetted by the Cuckoos on Alderney.(to lay their egg I mean) Heard lots of
Warblers..(Reed and Sedge known to be there) didn't see any despite my new scope and quatering from every angle! Blackcap, Linnet, Stonechats.(more later...)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation