• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2014 (1 Viewer)

Sorry. Fell asleep whilst writing the last post. It's a Diesel:smoke:

Spent some time with my 6 year old who's off school with conjunctivitis. I know he likes seafood so we headed down to Castellamare in The Mumbles. He really enjoyed the King Prawns, Langoustines and Mussels whilst I got to add:

88. Kittiwake
89. Shag
90. Mediterranean Gull

Rich

Last edited:
Certainly could have picked a better day to look for a rare gull (or BWJ) than today. Apparently the Ross's Gull had been seen briefly 40 minutes earlier. I gave it 30 minutes but with the wind speed rising and the jetty/ pier getting more slippery I decided enough was enough.

Did manage a great view of:

91. Purple Sandpiper (+) Lifer # 1 B :)B :)B :)

And:

92. Little Gull (+) Lifer# 2 B :)B :)B :)

Had a quick chat whilst walking back along the river with a birder from Hertfordshire. Good luck and hopefully the gull sticks around for you:t:

Rich

PS should add that this was at Aberavon this morning.

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours in Port Toilet looking for the Ross' Gull to no avail.

Did add the following though:

93. Turnstone

Quiet hour at Kenfig Pool this morning. Couple of Goldeneye on the pond along with four Great Crested Grebes. Cettis heard but not seen.

Last edited:
Arrived at Goldcliff this morning and thought I'd made an absolute stinker of a rookie error. On checking my bag my bins were nowhere to be found. Decided to go back to the car and see if I could hire a pair from the RSPB reserve at Newport Wetlands. On returning to the car though my Leicas were in the front footwell - phew:king:

This is a lovely little reserve for a wander round. Unfortunately the Little Owls were nowhere to be seen. Cetti's were heard but not seen. A Green Woodpecker again, was heard but not seen:-C

Did add the following:

96. Reed Bunting

Have to say the reserve was very busy today with plenty of people taking advantage of the weather.

From here I decided to head home. En route however I stopped off at the Knapp (Barry) to have a look for the long(ish) staying female Long Tailed Duck. Sure enough, there she was. Looking a little incongruous in the middle of the boating lake. Must say I prefer seeing these on the Moray Firth.

97. Long Tailed Duck

Attachments

• IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    473.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Really enjoyable days birding today. Given the first decent weather and the time of the year, it was time to hit Mid Wales. I can't remember seeing so many Common Buzzards, Kite, Ravens etc. along with Dipper, Sparrowhawk and finally:

98. Goshawk(+) - Undisclosed site.

Rich

Last edited:
One of the many Red Kites and looking for Gos(not where I saw one btw)

Attachments

• IMG_3968.JPG
    IMG_3968.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3966.JPG
    IMG_3966.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 54
Another beautiful day here. Went with the boys for a couple of hours before the game to Penclacwydd. Nice adult Med Gull in front of British Steel Hide. Cetti's heard but not seen.

99. Water Rail (ppv)

Last edited:
Not a bad bird (shame about the photo:eek!:) to bring up the hundred. Went back to Llangasty with my youngest for an hour this afternoon. Cetti's heard but once again, not seen. Plenty of Goldeneye in front of the hide. By the church was a:

100. Great White EgretB :)

Attachments

• IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
A few Goldfinches in the garden this morning and then at Goldcliff added the following:

101. Avocet
102. Pintail (at last!)

Edit forgot to add that vehicle of the day was a H2 van - superb!

Attachments

• IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4056.JPG
    IMG_4056.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Next were 2 Dartford Warblers. Including one handsome male. I tried to get an image but only succeeded in getting empty gorse bushes.

103. Dartford Warbler (+)Lifer#3B :)B :)B :):king:

Car of the day was this SLS. Closely followed by a lovely MGA and a Morgan Aero.

Attachments

• IMG_4085.JPG
    IMG_4085.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Had a brief visit to Penclacwydd this afternoon. Iolo was there with the cameras but I'm not sure what he was filming. Spoke to some of the WWT staff who said he was an absolutely top bloke - very genuine.

Added the following to the year list:

104. Spoonbill

Attachments

• IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4100.JPG
    IMG_4100.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 41
On our way home we made a quick stop at Fendrod Lake. A big thank you to the birders present for getting me onto this bird. It's been noted a few times recently here:

www.glamorganbirds.org.uk

105. Kumlien's Gull Lifer(+) #4 B :)B :)B :):t:

Attached are some crummy photos. The bird was seen from the car park opposite the Honda dealership.

Attachments

• IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4113.JPG
    IMG_4113.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4119.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Decentish day out today inbetween snow and hail showers. Male Sparrowhawk seemed a little out of place on the mountain road plus plenty of Kites and Buzzards around. No Wheatears seen. Stopped off at bridge just outside Llangadog. No Sand Martins but a couple of Grey and Pied Wagtails. Looking back toward Llangadog also gave a distant:

106. Green Woodpecker

Rich

Had a day out with the family today. A pair of beautifully behaved Weimaraners were in the Greyhound Inn when we had lunch. From here it was over to Rhossili.

Nothing new to add species wise but enjoyed watching a female Stonechat busy building her nest and this little fella running around trying to catch insects.

PS Hope everyone has a great Mothers Day tomorrow:t:

Attachments

• IMG_4187.JPG
    IMG_4187.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4196.JPG
    IMG_4196.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4202.JPG
    IMG_4202.JPG
    508.7 KB · Views: 44
Despite the weather the birding has been quite good today. Male Bullfinch in the garden, Goldfinches on the lane and a Green Woodpecker yaffling behind the house.

As we're dog sitting for a few days Maddie needed to stretch her legs so it was off up to Usk Reservoir. Lovely to hear the Blackbirds and Song Thrushes belting out their songs. Plenty of Wagtails along the dam but all Pied to my eyes. Did add the following:

107. Swallow (1 week earlier than last year)
108. Linnet

Then decided to head down to Dryslwyn Bridge with the aim of picking up some bird seed from the garden centre in Llandeilo on the way. Unfortunately the garden centre was closed. Some swans were in the distance but too far away for me to identify. A constant, drizzly rain was also in the air. The river level was very high and I decided I didn't want to carry the girl over the fences to get a closer look. I should add that she is permanently on the lead when she is with me. As such, no Sand Martins were noted either. A single Little Egret was on the other side of the river however.

Below are a couple of pics of my companion today:

Attachments

• IMG_4215.JPG
    IMG_4215.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 31
Well, the girl has gone back to Exmouth so I decided to take my youngest for a run after nursery. Had a stunning view of a Skylark on the post alongside the car with its crest up. Plenty of Stonechats and Meadow Pipits as well.

Added the following:

109 Wheatear (at last!!)

Below is one of my favourite views anywhere though my camera skills do not do it any justice. The valley below is a great place for Redstarts.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4227.JPG
    IMG_4227.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4230.JPG
    IMG_4230.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back