• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easily accessible wintering Wallcreeper? (1 Viewer)

NAB

Is anyone aware of any current and easily accessible wintering Wallcreepers i.e. where I can easily connect with during a quick weekend break from the UK?

'Birdwatch' magazine was recently reporting one regularly wintering at Dinant, Belgium, as well as (confusingly) Dinan in France - the former would be easy enough driving from Calais or Ostend, the latter from St. Malo or Cherbourg. Think both were also associated with chateaux.

Neil,

Not been for a while, but the chateaux at Les Baux de Provence in Southern France is a regular overwintering site. Close to Carmargue and Eyguieres airfield, for Little Bustard. Close to regional airports too.

Just checked for Wallcreeper on eBird and 2, probably 4 birds shown for Les Baux for 2019.

Stu

We have some in south Moravia - it's Czech Republic but the closest airport is Vienna. Easy access and regularly seen also in this season.

'Birdwatch' magazine was recently reporting one regularly wintering at Dinant, Belgium, as well as (confusingly) Dinan in France - the former would be easy enough driving from Calais or Ostend, the latter from St. Malo or Cherbourg. Think both were also associated with chateaux.

The French one is at Port de Dinan, sometimes on the arches of the viaduct, sometimes on the Basilique: https://www.faune-bretagne.org
Still present on Sunday 19th

The Belgian bird at Dinant (not really on any buildings, mainly on 2 rock faces called the "Rocher Bayard" and occasionally on a tall bridge) hasn't been seen since the 6th of January, but then I don't know if many people have thoroughly looked since...

Does anyone know how late in the year the wallcreepers normally stay at Les Baux? (And whether there are any this year - 2022?)

Does anyone know how late in the year the wallcreepers normally stay at Les Baux? (And whether there are any this year - 2022?)
Looking back on Faune PACA I see the last reported dates at Les Baux were 10 March 2018, 25 March 2019, Covid has meant less birding in 2020 and 2021 so the last dates ( both early February) are probably not truly representative. At least one being reported there recently.

Looking back on Faune PACA I see the last reported dates at Les Baux were 10 March 2018, 25 March 2019, Covid has meant less birding in 2020 and 2021 so the last dates ( both early February) are probably not truly representative. At least one being reported there recently.
Thanks Richard - that's very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back