• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Star Test results (1 Viewer)

greg g

I used the adivice given on the forum and used the Star Test on a new scope. I hung a Christmas ornament 100' from the scope.(It was 100' because I set the scope up at 2nd base and hung the ornament up 10' beyond 3rd base). The ornament was set at scope height. I put the Swarovski ATS 80HD with the 20-60x eye piece at maximum power. Focused on the sun's reflection. After the scope was focused I turned inside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with 5 or 6 rings of equal light inside and they all appeared circular. After the scope refocused I turned to outside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with the interior rings blotchy and non-distinct. When the outside focus was turned more the circle of light just became a circular blur.
Did I perform the Star Test correctly?
Can this be corrected, and if so is there anything I can do?
Should I exchange this scope for another scope?
Should I keep this scope and have the scope corrected by the manufacturer?

greg g said:
I used the adivice given on the forum and used the Star Test on a new scope. I hung a Christmas ornament 100' from the scope.(It was 100' because I set the scope up at 2nd base and hung the ornament up 10' beyond 3rd base). The ornament was set at scope height. I put the Swarovski ATS 80HD with the 20-60x eye piece at maximum power. Focused on the sun's reflection. After the scope was focused I turned inside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with 5 or 6 rings of equal light inside and they all appeared circular. After the scope refocused I turned to outside-focus and the view results were one outer bright ring with the interior rings blotchy and non-distinct. When the outside focus was turned more the circle of light just became a circular blur.
Did I perform the Star Test correctly?
Can this be corrected, and if so is there anything I can do?
Should I exchange this scope for another scope?
Should I keep this scope and have the scope corrected by the manufacturer?
if you surf the asto sites on the net [ ref star testing [refractor] scopes ] it will tell you what rings a refractor should show inside and outside of focus. from memory [ long while ago] sounds wrong.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,Greg also posted this under Swarovski spotters and there is a reply by Henry Link.In case you miss it.:)
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back