• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

There was an email today to HBW users, showing a sample page. Measurements were in cm and g.

Niels

Would be interesting to know how they will include new species. There are several newly described birds (e.g. Megascops gilesi) which have no HBW description page.

Admit I've not really been following this but that looks like access to the new resource is going to be paid only. Why would ebird etc continue to be free in those circs? I vote we build up and contribute more to things like opus, xeno canto which have a much higher likelihood of remaining free and open. Personally, I'm happy to donate to things which everyone can access but less happy about closed subscription services. A guess as to the way the Cornell wind is blowing has kept me from contributing to neotropical birds

QED...

https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/home

(Top of page message)

Notice for readers: On March 31, Neotropical Birds will be integrated into the new Birds of the World, a powerful research database offering species accounts for every species on earth. Learn more at birdsoftheworld.org. While Birds of the World is a subscription service, we remain committed to offering this content to Neotropical Birds contributors and to those unable to pay for it through our scholarship program. Stay tuned.

Hmmm... expectable but still sad... $$$

Hmm, so presumably those of us with subscriptions to HBW Alive will still be able to access until the sub runs out? I'm also very unclear on what is going to happen to the IBC, does it get lumped into eBird somehow or exist as a separate entity?

I wish I could say I was, but - as mentioned - it would be far from the first time that I have seen US sites take information with originally metric data, remove it, and replace with imperial stuff.

Scientific outputs in imperial? Please share examples?

I'll see if I can find them, though I didn't keep a record of them. National Geographic was one culprit I remember.

Not birds, but here's one from NASA:
The colossal space rock, which is expected to pass over our planet ..., is estimated to have a diameter of around 3,250 feet
Why can't they just say 1,000 metres? That's obviously what it is - yet they don't even mention any scientific units.

Hmm, so presumably those of us with subscriptions to HBW Alive will still be able to access until the sub runs out? I'm also very unclear on what is going to happen to the IBC, does it get lumped into eBird somehow or exist as a separate entity?

Q1: that is my expectation.
Q2: I expect closer to the latter.

Niels

Q1: that is my expectation.
Q2: I expect closer to the latter.

Niels
Like White-headed Duck, it risks becoming extinct through introgression from invasive related species o:D

Not birds, but here's one from NASA:

Why can't they just say 1,000 metres? That's obviously what it is - yet they don't even mention any scientific units.

you're joking surely

your link is to IGN - "an American video game and entertainment media website"

hard to think of a less scientific output...

EDIT: here's the official NASA output on this object
https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

"Estimated Diameter 440m - 990m"

put that flag-burning on hold,

cheers,
James

Last edited:
One would think the banners/adds loaded with images of Darth Vader and super heroes might possibly suggest you are not looking at a official scientific website...

One would think the banners/adds loaded with images of Darth Vader and super heroes might possibly suggest you are not looking at a official scientific website...

You actually have these visible rather than blocked by an appropriate browser plugin?

Obviously even without ad's it should have been obvious to the OP that it wasn't a NASA site!

You actually have these visible rather than blocked by an appropriate browser plugin?

Obviously even without ad's it should have been obvious to the OP that it wasn't a NASA site!
All blocked by my Firefox adblocker :t: - no, it wasn't obvious that it might be anything other than a mirror (exact copy) of the NASA site itself, even if the URL wasn't NASA.

All blocked by my Firefox adblocker :t: - no, it wasn't obvious that it might be anything other than a mirror (exact copy) of the NASA site itself, even if the URL wasn't NASA.

Another joke hopefully. If you’re unaware of the difference between official comms by scientific organisations and third hand write-ups on trashy clickbait news sites maybe you should give up on your quest for US scientists imposing imperial measures on the world.

James

Another joke hopefully. If you’re unaware of the difference between official comms by scientific organisations and third hand write-ups on trashy clickbait news sites maybe you should give up on your quest for US scientists imposing imperial measures on the world.

James

Also time to change your avatar Nutty, too late to stop what is already done.

Has Brexit affected the value of the Northumberland Shekel yet, as predicted?

Thanks Niels, a great shame this merger happened, I will miss using My Birding and used to enjoy contributing to IBC, I guess we have to wait and see how it goes
In my experience IBC was rife with photos of mis-identified birds, and having photos in two places meant more work if you were looking for photos of a species. I've been reviewing thousands of eBird/MacCaulay Library photos recently, and have only found two mis-ID's so far. And it is easy to report them. Also, eBird provides more context for the photos since they are submitted with a list. And the filtering options for photos are robust and easy to use: you can filter by location, time of year, age, and sex with a few clicks. So I'm seeing a lot of upsides to this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back