• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca last week in October (1 Viewer)

Marialanjaron

Hi

Going to Mallorca for a few days will be able to get 1 or 2 days possibly having a look at our feathery friends. Any suggestions on where to go? Our base will be Puerto Pollensa.

A walk up the Bocquer valley from PP is easy. If going fairly soon there were will still be some migrants & Eleonora's Falcon.

Beyond this you will need transport to reach S' Albufera next to Alcudia or the Albufereta (between PP & Alcudia & easily accessible from PP by pushbike) -both wetlands (usual stuff + possible Crested Coots & Marbled Duck).

You will probably need a hire car to get into the mountains for a visit to Cuber (raptors -especially Black & now also Griffon Vultures) and a drive to Formentor should also provide some late migrants, Eleonora's Falcon & perhaps some offshore Shearwaters such as Cory's & Balearic.

By early november the falcons & migrants will be scarce.

Have a good time! ;)

Steve thanks for the advice :t:. We will have transport as we will be climbing/walking, hence the only 1 or 2 days for bird watching, so should be able to get around the areas you mentioned. Really looking forward to it and will post any pics I take.

I can thoroughly reccomend the Albufera wetlands especially as you have transport. We also stayed in Puerto Pollenca and it was only about 40 minutes on the bus, probably half an hours drive so defintaley worth the trip.

It was huge with plenty of hides (although in August the hides were uncomfortably hot). The expected birds were in abundance and there were some surprises like Red Knobbed Coot and Red Crested Pochard (fairly recent reintroductions I'm led to believe).

Have a good holiday

Great stuff thanks all for the info. So its going to rain some of the time whilst there, do the birds mind the rain? Or best to wait for a clearer day?

Might not rain, you may have a lovely sunny week, you may have a few daus of bad weather.

It depends what type of birds you want to see.....ducks and waders are probably not bothered about rain, whilst non-waterbirds will take to shelter often in silence. But birding just after heavy rain can be excellent. Birding is obviously pleasant in nice conditions, but in the middle of every hot day, and in the afternoon, it can appear quiet. Birds are not too different to us, they like an afternoon siesta! Best activity is often morning, then early evening can also be good.

I woul spend the best part of a day at S'Albufera, from about 8am onwards if possible abd certainly not starting later than 9am. Having said that, this excellent reserve with hides is good at any time. Choose nice clear days to go to Formenta peninsula, Cuber Reservoir (for vultures), and Boquer valley. Again, I would start off as early as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back