• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

zomerset

Hi there, I am kingfisher mad, something about them, guess it's the flight, colour and catching fish. I read the other posts and note there's some sightings in Essex. My sightings this week was one on the Mardyke, North Stifford, Wednesday and Thursday evening last week, got some really bad long distance photo's. A couple weeks before spotted one on the Ingrebourne River, Gaynes Parkway, Upminster which I've seen a few times over the months and one on the River Crouch, Wickford, which was a new one. Before that found one at Langdon Lake but think it's now gone in search of a mate. Looking forward to any other sightings in Essex. Happy Birding. B :)

Hi mafu - thanks will have to take a visit to Rainham. Thanks also Sniper, yes that's one of them I've seen then on the Ingrebourne at the Parkway - it's up from the playground, usually on a slow bend or by a concrete culvert.

That's the area mate,I used to see 2 all the time.To be fair I don't go there as much as I used to but I know others have seen 1 recently

As of a couple of years ago they were easy on the River Rom/Beam (whatever you want to call it) just downriver from Roneo Corner in Romford. A friend had them flying over the road there by the YMCA several times.

Hey James - you got a Little Egret on your flickr page - nice one!! Spotted one on the Crouch and Mardyke. Where are you Kingfisher shots?

If ever you get to come to north essex, there are a few around the braintree stretch of the river Blackwater that will dot around by a mill house found on the connection of broad road and bradford street.

Moving more towards the a120 more can be seen near at the river connection in a small location called bradwell (old a120 connecting braintree with colchester a12 junction)

Thanks Bitter Bugger (great name). I see someone reports them on the Chelm so I might try there and look further. You say the River Blackwater, looking at the map, is it the River Pant?

Pretty much any river/stretch of inland water will hold kingfisher.
They are not particularly rare,just difficult to see and photograph sometimes

Finally found another kingfisher in Chipping Ongar on the River Roding. I did some research and of course know this is the breeding season when I guess kingfishers fly up river to breeding areas. I found details of an Essex walk and it said to look out for kingfisher nesting sites on the River Roding, so off I went. Didn't find a nesting site as it was all overgrown but thankfully found a kingfisher that went up and down the river a couple time.

Nice one!! Bitter bugger - what river was that? I found one in Wanstead Park this week on the River Roding. I was hoping it was one of a nesting pair but it seemed to be on it's own, flying up and down the River in the evening, on the edge of the park between the two golf courses. I tried to get a photo but it was too quick for me.

I was furious to see it was a blurred photo, I have a lot to learn but I was simply terrified to miss this chance.

Any faux fury was quashed by my excitement to see this lovely bird and to have a jay, a bird I HAVE ALWAYS wanted to take a picture of, sitting atop my car when I returned.

Zomerset, I will spill the beans via pm and whilst I can not promise, but give times I am down there if you want to visit this quite frankly lovely place.

Little Egrets

Drive to Allhallows in Kent or Cliffe Pools in Kent, they are honestly everywhere.

Northward Hill, I have seen 8 to 10, but usually 4 from the "big view"

Mate,just go to rainham or anywhere on the Essex coast,yes Kent is a good place but there's no need to go there if you are in Essex

I was furious to see it was a blurred photo, I have a lot to learn but I was simply terrified to miss this chance.

Any faux fury was quashed by my excitement to see this lovely bird and to have a jay, a bird I HAVE ALWAYS wanted to take a picture of, sitting atop my car when I returned.

Zomerset, I will spill the beans via pm and whilst I can not promise, but give times I am down there if you want to visit this quite frankly lovely place.

a blurred photo is always better than none though, always nice to get something in the can, didnt realise the jay was on your car roof!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back