• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

The waders are a selection of what you may see.
On the river you should get redshank,2 spotted today,curlew ,Dublin and maybe godwits
On the scrapes ,plenty of Goldie's,all of above, the odd curlew and grey plover and ruff if you are lucky.
Seals,not sure how regular , pretty I think, had 6 last week but the other side if the Thames,scope needed .
The odd harbour porpoise turns up but doubt it Sunday.
Had a Slav this time last year and other bits turn up from time to time,skylarks will be pretty active and you get the regular geese,the odd white front makes am
Appearance as does dodgy barnies and snow goose lol

Not seen porpoises in the river for a while now but that's not to say they're not there. There are a few seals about at the moment. Nothing to add to the Rainham-vs-WWT debate as of the two Rainham wins hands down for everything! Check the travel though - c2c often do weekend engineering and you may find yourself waiting for a while or on a replacement bus.

Caspian Gull on the Tip, Iceland Gull, Kittiwakes, Guillemots off Canvey Point on fall of tide, White-fronted Goose and Goosander Wat tyler, Kingfisher and Green Sands at Vange Marsh.

Not bad tally today

excellent its a dream list for me....i mean caspian gull, iceland gull white fronetd goose........how do i access the tip?

Caspian Gull on the Tip, Iceland Gull, Kittiwakes, Guillemots off Canvey Point on fall of tide, White-fronted Goose and Goosander Wat tyler, Kingfisher and Green Sands at Vange Marsh.

Not bad tally today

The IRA wont be happy if Dublin becomes a part of Greater London :p

Sorry I hope you do not mind me pointing out the typos .....especially since you are helping me....I just could not stop laughing

The waders are a selection of what you may see.
On the river you should get redshank,2 spotted today,curlew ,Dublin and maybe godwits
On the scrapes ,plenty of Goldie's,all of above, the odd curlew and grey plover and ruff if you are lucky.
Seals,not sure how regular , pretty I think, had 6 last week but the other side if the Thames,scope needed .
The odd harbour porpoise turns up but doubt it Sunday.
Had a Slav this time last year and other bits turn up from time to time,skylarks will be pretty active and you get the regular geese,the odd white front makes am
Appearance as does dodgy barnies and snow goose lol

Not sure you can access the tip Steve Arlow's talking about. Also worth noting that they don't operate the tip at Rainham on Sundays so there'll be fewer gulls about generally, but there's a chance that there'll be a caspian about anyway.

If you want more seabirds than you'll get at Rainham (though there's always a chance of a kittiwake or two) just stay on the C2C to East Tilbury or Leigh and walk to Coalhouse Fort or Two Tree respectively. Scope probably essential for making the most of it. High tide is mid afternoon, iirc. Look it up.

Wat Tyler is just south of Pitsea station but probably not worth the stop, in my experience!

From Euston to Fenchurch Street by tube to then rail to Purfleet?

How do I check where there are problems and replacement services?

Not seen porpoises in the river for a while now but that's not to say they're not there. There are a few seals about at the moment. Nothing to add to the Rainham-vs-WWT debate as of the two Rainham wins hands down for everything! Check the travel though - c2c often do weekend engineering and you may find yourself waiting for a while or on a replacement bus.

Friday night ..last night.....

what is the better way to get there from London Euston to Barking then to Purfleet as my friend is from Barking or London Euston to Fenchurch Street then to Purfleet?

From Euston to Fenchurch Street by tube to then rail to Purfleet?

How do I check where there are problems and replacement services?

Tube Esuton to Tower Hill/Fenchurch the c2c overground to Rainham, Purfleet, ....

East Tilbury quiet this morning (1 GC Grebe on the river). 2 Water pipits on flooded grassland before the radar tower but not easily seen.

For waders either Rainham or extra 1/2 hour train and longer walk to Two Tree Island from Leigh on sea rail station. Two tree can be exceptional for HT roost on big tides, if you can get in the hide (only 1 on the west point). Rainham is way more spacious and luxurious with 'wind me down' windows and all!

Reckon from recent reports Southend Pier will take some beating for seabirds and gulls with (open access). Stay on C2C to Southend Central and walk down to Southend Pier. Grab a slap up bacon bap from Jamie n Jimmy's too!

Check this link for travel info http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/travel_information

Enjoy whatever ypu decide.

Friday night ..last night.....

what is the better way to get there from London Euston to Barking then to Purfleet as my friend is from Barking or London Euston to Fenchurch Street then to Purfleet?

Pretty sure all C2C trains stop at Barking. Get him to meet you at the station and jumpo on your train. Tube is way slower than the C2C overground as it continually stops every 1/2 mile or so. I'm guessing you want to spend more time birding than riding the train :t:

Reckon you'd be best to buy a day return to your chosen destination from Euston and then get off to biord and return to Barking and get off there. You don't need to go all the way back to Euston. A travelcard may cover Rainham/Purfleet but compare with a return, not sure about Leigh on sea or Soutehend but Sunday prices are usually good.

No sign of the Spoonbill at Vange this afternoon from 3.30 to dusk. Water rail was a year tick. Vange very wet underfoot - lierally as I returned to find a 1 inch crack through the sole of my Wellies :-C

Only bought'em early November from Tesco Direct. Returned them tonight to find they're now Tesco In-Direct :C as they say I unwittingly bought them from Mountain Warehouse :eek!: through them and their website! Beware Tesco InDirect! :-C Beware Mountain Warehouse Wellies! :-C:-C:-C

Anyone advise on a decent welly at decent price from a decent store?

I believe there are problems on C2C tomorrow but I think from fenchurch street to Purfleet is ok.
From Euston you get the tube from Euston Square ,the circle line eastbound to tower hill and it's a 2 minute walk to fenchurch street (signposted)
From Purfleet turn right and follow the road for about half a mile to the centre.

Nice day to be outside but slightly disappointing "seawatch" off Rolls Farm over the tide today. Two slavs and single goldeneye, med gull and guillemot were all we could scrape together. Nearby were a few yellowhammers and singing skylarks but otherwise pretty quiet. Two hares were the first I've seen in county for a few months.

Short-eared Owls (3) putting on a great show this evening at Wallasea Island. Also there 2 Barn Owls, Hen Harrier and a Merlin.

Attachments

• Short-eared Owl Wallasea Island 02-02-2014 WEB 165.jpg
    Short-eared Owl Wallasea Island 02-02-2014 WEB 165.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back