• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Had

We heard what we thought was a drumming LSW but after an age hunting for it, the noise was a creaking tree!

I had the same experience Sunday afternoon but decided it was a tree and didn't go looking for it. Will be back there again soon though as it's usually a good spot for LSW and nice and close to me!8-P

At work in Braintree I often hear the calls of Buzzards and see the odd 1 or 2 but yesterday in the lovely mid-day sunshine I saw 7 circling above me including one that looked very odd, almost red, [not a Kite though].
Steve.

Where in Braintree are you? I'm on the Springwood Industrial Estate and we do get the occasional Buzzard over here....

Hi,
Could anyone tell me please the easiest way to get to Paglesham lagoon: where would you park, and best route to walk? Thanks, Debbie.

Steve Arlow or other SOGNET members may be able to advise you better, but on the only occasion I visited, I drove down to Pagglesham Eastend, and parked near a boatyard towards the end of the road. It's quite a walk along the river to the lagoon.

Hi,
Could anyone tell me please the easiest way to get to Paglesham lagoon: where would you park, and best route to walk? Thanks, Debbie.

My route is this, leave Rochford on the Stambridge Road, keep going until you come to a t-junction, turn right and the right again at the Shepherd & Dog into Paglesham Road. Follow the road until you reach Jubilee Cottages on your left where you can park up. Walk back past the little church and there's a footpath on your left.

Go through the hedge and here's where the slog starts. It will be muddy as you cross ploughed fields walking south and after following the footpath or the line of the streams you will eventually get to a very large expanse of water, voila!

What birds are you looking for?

best wishes
Terry

Thanks to both of you - not looking for anything specific but have read over the last couple of years that it seems to be one of the best local spots for ducks etc. Although as I'm not too fit, and usually go out alone, I might have a bit more of a think about going there - seems like a bit of a hard trek.
Thank you.

Probably the best place to park is by the old people's home in Stambridge and follow the public footpath from there. It's probably about 2 miles to the lagoon but is road / hard path the whole way.

Where Terry mentioned is definitely the shortest route, but with the rain we've had it will be really muddy!

Are you looking for any ducks in particular? It's the best site locally for Goldeneye and good views of Pintail, but the commoner species can be found just as easily elsewhere (and without the long walk).

That sounds a bit better - don't mind so much the length of the walk, it's the difficulty of the terrain that's a problem, so a hard track is better. As to the birds, I've only seen one Goldeneye (last week at Hanningfield - photo below) and the only Pintail I've seen had their heads tucked away! But I would love to try to self-find something a bit less common (instead of just going to look at other people's birds!), and as it is out of the way, and there seem to have been some good birds there over the years, I would really like to have a look there. Think I might try this route, thank you. Any idea what the Stambridge home is called?

This morning I could really notice the lighter mornings. On my train journey to work I have a great view of a barn owl flying parallel to the train across the cricket club at Kelvedon, it was a great sight.

Any idea what the Stambridge home is called?

Yes, it's Stambridge Meadows.

If you're coming in from Rochford direction the road bends sharp left by the church, then past the football pitches on your right. Shortly after this there's a 'layby' which is the entrance to the care home. Park here and the footpath is opposite the end of this layby.

If you get to the Great Stambridge 30mph sign then you've gone too far!

Freeport Braintree this evening at 6pm there was a large roost of pied wagtails in 2 trees in the B&Q car park , very noisy at that time, by 8.30 when we came out of the cinema they were all fast asleep, did a quick rough count and there were about 150 there! very strange with all the evening passers by.

also at about 4.30 pm in a friend's garden in Queenborough Lane Rayne, about 12 siskins high in a tree top. I've not sbeen many around this winter so thought it worth a mention.

the pied wagtails were there again this eveing, amazing considering the amount of disturbance. All in one tree right next to a pair of lights (between B&Q and the cinema if anyone wants to have a look)

They have probably been there for years.
We have a wagtail roost in a tree or two in the middle of Upminster which the majority of people seem oblivious to and it's been there years.In fact I've only known about it for 3-4 years

I was visiting someone at Colchester General hospital recently and there is a wagtail roost in one of the squares in the centre of the hospital - nice and safe for them i guess.

Hi everyone. For a few weeks I've been trying to look at the Wat Tyler Country Park RSPB live webcam, but it always comes up black on my laptop. I assumed that the camera was 'down', but as it has been some weeks, I have started to wonder if perhaps I don't have the correct software to view it, or something like that. Can anyone else view it?
Debbie

It's not been working for a long time now, or at least not transmitting live pictures from the scrape.

Think they have one in one of the next boxes though, which I guess will be up and running soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back