• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

FINALLY saw the Abberton Firecrest today, no pics though :( Was nice to see Goldcrest too. Also ringtail Hen Harrier and 3 Buzzards

Attachments

• IMG_4088-2.jpg
    IMG_4088-2.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 63
Finally got to grips with the Thames Iceland Gull today..Saw the bird about a month ago flying past Canvey but this was Soooo much better

At work in Braintree I often hear the calls of Buzzards and see the odd 1 or 2 but yesterday in the lovely mid-day sunshine I saw 7 circling above me including one that looked very odd, almost red, [not a Kite though].
Steve.

I have a pic of reddish one taken above gravel pit between Fairview and bocking windmill, by limey lake.

Though birding involves skill, knowledge of locations and often a good deal of patience and perseverance, it occasionally involves a good dose of luck. I think luck evaded me in much of February, but March is looking better. Two doses of luck in the last two days:

Firstly, whilst driving into Fingringhoe Wick this morning, a Woodcock decided to walk across the road just ahead of me.

Secondly, after a long and abortive scanning of trees for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Shut Heath Wood yesterday, my binoculars happened upon a Tawny Owl roosting high in a tree. I managed to point out the bird to a couple of birders, and a couple of non-birders, but after an hour or so the owl was spotted by a pair of Jays who mobbed it quite fiercely. Not surprisingly, the Tawny Owl took flight to a more hidden part of the wood.

Long may this luck last!

Stewart

Secondly, after a long and abortive scanning of trees for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Shut Heath Wood yesterday, my binoculars happened upon a Tawny Owl roosting high in a tree. I managed to point out the bird to a couple of birders, and a couple of non-birders, but after an hour or so the owl was spotted by a pair of Jays who mobbed it quite fiercely. Not surprisingly, the Tawny Owl took flight to a more hidden part of the wood.

Long may this luck last!

Stewart

Thanks for pointing the owl out to us Stewart - have signed up to birdforums so you can see the photo!

Good luck with the Lesser Spotted.

Andy

Attachments

• 4Z3A2040.jpg
    4Z3A2040.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for pointing the owl out to us Stewart - have signed up to birdforums so you can see the photo!

Good luck with the Lesser Spotted.

Andy

Thank you so much for posting the picture Andy. Such a good one too. I've copied it into my personal bird record. Trust that's OK! As I said in my post, we got lucky - for once the Jays got on to the Owl it was 'outa here'.

Also, I add my welcome to Bird Forum.

Stewart

I see a Sand Martin was reported at Dagenham chase lnr a good reliable sight for them,is this the first of the spring migrants arriving ???

Good photo and welcome Andy.

Nice shot Steve - embittered as I spent an hour looking for it on Sunday with no luck. Any pointers on it's location down the old road, or is it mobile?

Well done Steve (Arlow) - cracking gull.

East Tilbury was notably quiet on Saturday morning. There have been a pair of water pipits seen around the derelict WWII concrete buildings along the grass bank between moat and radar tower for anyone needing to tick them.
Thought conditions may offer a diver sp, which we don't seem to get this far up river often; but even grasping at a hint of an easterly wind, 3 GC Grebe on the river just off Mucking Flats was as close as it got. Perhaps the shipping traffic and narrowing of the river upstream of Lower Hope deters other diver sp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back