• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Didn't know it had!

I did get some photos but they were out of focus.

Apparently it was / is on your Bubo list so had been assumed that it had been confirmed somehow. Anyway, I'll stop going on about it now!

Why not post your photo's on here, or in the ID section, even if you think they're not very good someone might be able to see something which could nail it?

Yes, a nice summary Stewart.

I suspect you’re right in the mild weather having an impact, not just here, but on the near continent as well meaning no cold weather influxes.

In south Essex, other than over-wintering Spoonbill, Rough-legged Buzzard and Scaup, plus the (re-)appearance of Glossy Ibis and Great White Egret it has been pretty quiet. Only two white-winged gulls, 1 Snow Bunting, 1 White-fronted Goose, no other wildfowl to speak of and the scarce grebes have been very, well, scarce!

Early April last year we were all in Gunners watching Long-tailed Duck, flocks of scoter, scarce divers and grebes. Amazing the difference a year makes, but that’s what keeps it interesting, and mustn’t grumble as spring is here and there’ll be something good to go and look at before long. Maybe a nice Lesser Kestrel somewhere...

Surprised by this ... Is this because the report was not entered through the EBwS website. I'm pretty sure I reported it via the Essex Yahoo group which I understood to be linked to the EBwS site. I did hear of changes or issues with that linkage - Perhaps someone can clarify? I was with one of the rarities committee on one observation of the Iceland and reporting was discussed and (I understood) to be undertaken.

Best Regards,

Steve

If you submit a sighting through the EBwS site an email gets generated automatically to the Essexbirders Yahoo! group. It's never been the other way around, so if an email is sent to the group essentially the same information comes through, but it will never end up on a 'searchable' databse.

Don't know about others, but it seems that there are fewer direct emails on the Yahoo! group as more people (me included!) no longer post directly to there as their sightings come directly from EBwS.

If you enter your sightings onto EBwS these are picked up by the county recorders at the end of the year and so there's also the added bonus of not having to send in records manually (descriptions excepted of course..).

Apparently it was / is on your Bubo list so had been assumed that it had been confirmed somehow.

It is! and tho your assumption was wrong, you are absolutely right in that my BUBO list is MY BUBO list!

... Anyway, I'll stop going on about it now!

Thanks

... Why not post your photo's on here, or in the ID section, even if you think they're not very good someone might be able to see something which could nail it?

Noted

If you submit a sighting through the EBwS site an email gets generated automatically to the Essexbirders Yahoo! group. It's never been the other way around, so if an email is sent to the group essentially the same information comes through, but it will never end up on a 'searchable' databse.

Don't know about others, but it seems that there are fewer direct emails on the Yahoo! group as more people (me included!) no longer post directly to there as their sightings come directly from EBwS.

If you enter your sightings onto EBwS these are picked up by the county recorders at the end of the year and so there's also the added bonus of not having to send in records manually (descriptions excepted of course..).

Thanks for the explanation and clarity. That's unfortunate as it would appear a whole lot easier to send an email from the field than log on to the EBwS website and follow the input template to log a record.

...Don't know about others, but it seems that there are fewer direct emails on the Yahoo! group as more people (me included!) no longer post directly to there as their sightings come directly from EBwS ...

I agree - probably not a good thing overall, but it's probably important to make reporting as easy as possible especially from the field. Twitter seems to be a popular communication tool and is something I and others seem to be using more frequently.

...If you enter your sightings onto EBwS these are picked up by the county recorders at the end of the year and so there's also the added bonus of not having to send in records manually (descriptions excepted of course..).

I believe the same is true of the BTO Birdtrack app (and website) which also appears a popular recording tool. I like the Excel compatible bulk data upload facilities which you can coordinate with your own recording system and it offers nice searchable reporting history options for year/site comparisons.

ps .... ironically I went to enter a record on the EBwS site last week for Linford Wood (an EWT location) and as the site was not among the drop down lists I couldn't enter it other than finding the OS grid reference! I didn't have time for that - so the record was not entered. But if anyone needs Ring-necked parrot for their list - they're there!

Yes, a nice summary Stewart.

... In south Essex, other than over-wintering Spoonbill, Rough-legged Buzzard and Scaup, plus the (re-)appearance of Glossy Ibis and Great White Egret it has been pretty quiet. Only two white-winged gulls, 1 Snow Bunting, 1 White-fronted Goose, no other wildfowl to speak of and the scarce grebes have been very, well, scarce!

... You may have overlooked a white-winger in that there were 2 different Iceland gulls, a 1st and 2nd winter; and I recall Steve Arlow seeing a Glauc. I believe he saw a Sabines off Shoeburyness too. I and others saw a LTDuck (fem) on the Thames 12/10 perhaps too early for winter? and 2 drake goosander over the Thames on 8/3. 2 common scoter have been about in the last week or so, but not seen by anyone on the north (Thames) bank as far as I am aware.

Amazing the difference a year makes, but that’s what keeps it interesting, and mustn’t grumble as spring is here and there’ll be something good to go and look at before long. Maybe a nice Lesser Kestrel somewhere...

It seems by many accounts a less than eventful winter apart from Dunlop (wellington) shares - but good to be out in a layer or so less than usual. Lesser Kestrel - yes please!

There will be gaps in the Essex database, I for one don't put sightings on there. If its a good enough bird I'll do an Yahoo Group email to alert birders, such as with the Glauc, but I can't be asked inputting details on the Essex Website, especially as most of it goes on the SOG website already.

In summary I would agree that the mild winter has resulted in lower numbers and diversity of winter species to Essex, noticeable in the Southend area.

Lets hope there's a 'spring' in the step of the Spring.

For the record (no pun intended), any record posted on the Essex birders yahoo group that doesn't originate from the EBwS website does get picked up (by me) and put on a spreadsheet. This is then fed into the annual records to be analysed for the Essex Bird Report.

The problem is that if the record is of a rare bird, a description has to be provided to the EBwS to be considered for inclusion as an Essex record. It is interesting to note that in the 2011 EBR, which I collected this evening, there is an appeal for information on birds seen in Essex in 2011 such as Crane, Dusky Warbler, Long-tailed Skua and Richard's Pipit. Unless the information is received it cannot be included in the Essex list.

I suppose that observers think that someone else will put in a description. I found a Red-necked Phalarope at Vange Marsh last June and I see that it's a Red List species. If I don't put in a description and no-one else does, it won't count on the records.

If anyone sees a rare bird and not sure if a description is required by the EBwS, ask me and I'll let you know. At least our records will become more complete.

Yours boringly,
Terry :)

Missed the phalarope mate,your doing well fella lol,nice bird.
For what it's worth,I never really find anything out the ordinary,the odd significant record but I just use the Essex yahoo site,rightly or wrongly as that's what I always used.
Anything of any significance I would use birdguides reporting as well but only if I was 100% sure of the record

First two black terns of the year earlier this afternoon, just east of LDLH causeway at Abberton before heading off high, further back onto the res. Picked them up again distantly after a while. Couple of common terns also... but still failing to pick up much in the way of passerine migration. Or hirundines.

Anything of any significance I would use birdguides reporting as well but only if I was 100% sure of the record

There can be a problem with using "Birdguides" as your reporting process. There are a lot of excellent records on "Birdguides" but the process can also pick up records, which cannot be attributed to any observer. Also some of the records can be second or even third hand. When records are assessed, there is a risk that, unless the obsevation can be properly attributed, it will probably be excluded. Furthermore if a description is required, the observer will be far better placed to provide one immediately after the record is made, rather than 12 - 18 months later.

The procedures which I would recommend are:
1) Advise any significant, confidential obsevations to the county recorder by private e-mail. If further info. is required, he will let you know.
2) Input selected, non-confidential, records which may interest other birders on the EBwS website.
3) Keep a log of your records and input them to the recorder annualy.

Dave

Last edited:
Was pretty chuffed with finding 2 Black Terns at Abberton yesterday. I watched them for a minute or two from the centre as they were diving right over by the far bank before I made the decision, at that distant I wasn't sure if the light was playing tricks. Eventually they came close enough and I got other people on to them.

There can be a problem with using "Birdguides" as your reporting process. Furthermore if a description is required, the observer will be far better placed to provide one immediately after the record is made, rather than 12 - 18 months later.

The procedures which I would recommend are:
1) Advise any significant, confidential obsevations to the county recorder by private e-mail. If further info. is required, he will let you know.
2) Input selected, non-confidential, records which may interest other birders on the EBwS website.
3) Keep a log of your records and input them to the recorder annualy.

Dave

I am sure that the EBWS doesn't use the Birdguides data now as the observer is not traceable. It may be that some of the 2011 records that need more identification emanate from Birdguides.

All the recommendations are excellent. However, I would add one more:-
Become a member of the Essex Birdwatching Society |:D|

best wishes
Terry

I am sure that the EBWS doesn't use the Birdguides data now as the observer is not traceable. It may be that some of the 2011 records that need more identification emanate from Birdguides.

All the recommendations are excellent. However, I would add one more:-
Become a member of the Essex Birdwatching Society |:D|

best wishes
Terry

Best thing I've done for my birding. I'd hunted around for help with RSPB local groups, wildlife trusts, Field groups etc -- all good concerns but for me the EBwS membership was the best move and connected me with some great experienced birders. Can't recommend it highly enough. Regular Bus trips if you lack transport too with some really nice folk.

Gotta say the Bird of Prey conference they held a few weeks back was exceptional. Great speakers and one of the most informative days I've spent out of the field.

A couple of Black-winged Stilts have been found on Bowers Marsh RSPB this afternoon which are apparently viewed distantly on the freshmarsh from the benches.

The gate will be locked today at 5pm as Marc, outgoing reserve manager, is leaving today. If you go today make sure you are out of the car park before 5pm. You can park outside the gate and walk in, this will add quarter mile or so to your walk.

Hopefully I will get there this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back