• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

A drake Ring-necked Duck was at Abberton causeway this morning. Early morning, it frequented the area behind the concrete wall near the Layer Breton causeway. It was consorting with around 8 Pochard and, at 10.30, it flew with those birds towards the main part of the reservoir. However, it seems that it didn't go far and (after I'd left) was reported as still viewable from that causeway.

Always the risk of Tufted x RND hybrids, but this drake was in perfect pukka plumage.

Stewart

Hmm, a trip for LBC tomorrow it seems.

Red kite, over sheering passed me as I drove home from devon, m11, past the turn off for harlow, yet before the turn off for sheering at 1410

Excellent morning out locally with a fine Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Hockley Woods, 3 Bullfinch that included a nice showy male at Ferndale Road in Rayleigh, there Garganey at North Bowers Marsh, willow Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat and Yellowhammers at Bowers Down. At least 6 year ticks today

Attachments

• Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Upload 028.jpg
    Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Upload 028.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Evening all. Just passing on a message from Jason Ward who isn't a member of BF. Some serious kit stolen from Harlow yesterday. Keep your eyes open if you would,

"Hi All,

Ive had my Swarovski ATX 95 Scope and Canon 100-400 lens stolen from my vehicle yesterday. The scope was on a Manfrotto 500AH head with Swarovski digiscoping rail and a Velbon carbon fibre tripod. Also a Scopac was attached. I would be grateful for news of any for sale in unusual circumstances/places/cheaply. It's been reported to the police and I have the serial numbers of the items.

Thanks very much

Jay."

Evening all. Just passing on a message from Jason Ward who isn't a member of BF. Some serious kit stolen from Harlow yesterday. Keep your eyes open if you would,

"Hi All,

Ive had my Swarovski ATX 95 Scope and Canon 100-400 lens stolen from my vehicle yesterday. The scope was on a Manfrotto 500AH head with Swarovski digiscoping rail and a Velbon carbon fibre tripod. Also a Scopac was attached. I would be grateful for news of any for sale in unusual circumstances/places/cheaply. It's been reported to the police and I have the serial numbers of the items.

Thanks very much

Jay."

Sorry to hear that and noted! Checked all the selling sites?

Good weekend for me too. Uk lifer with the 2 stilts at Bowers. First 2014 nightingale on patch Saturday, followed by GW Teal, Yellow wag, and whitethroat and an Essex tick sand martin.

Encouraged to see a new scrape being created by the sea wall, already holding a smart male wheatear (my 2nd of 2014) on newly pushed banks. Informed of another new extensive NR being constructed on Tilbury PS land too. Future looks good for S Essex

2nd nightingale found this afternoon at Stanford Wharf.

They flew to another, was seen by quite a few people, including me...

Updated my essex list on bubo now, was missing things like yellow wag, coot, godwits, little owl etc, so chucked them in too, 112 now with a year total of when I started the hobby (june the first, England list at 145)

Here is my finest photographic hour of the black winged stilts...

Attachments

• black winged stilt.JPG
    black winged stilt.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 77
Didn't manage to catch up with the Stilts this evening but an enjoyable couple of hours all the same. A few shots from Old Hall Marshes this evening.

I would appreciate ID help with the first and Curlew or Whimbrel? (I have added a tighter crop just in case it helps!)

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Attachments

• ohm2.jpg
    ohm2.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 653
  • gw.jpg
    gw.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 672
  • wheatear2.jpg
    wheatear2.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 565
  • ohm4.jpg
    ohm4.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 564
Didn't manage to catch up with the Stilts this evening but an enjoyable couple of hours all the same. A few shots from Old Hall Marshes this evening.

Update on the Stilts:

At Old Hall, the birds were first spotted by Colin Mackenzie-Grieve at about 12:20, during a WeBS count. They were then in field 1/8. The birds disappeared but were later found in Bale Field, where several people observed and photographed them. They were definately a breeding pair as they copulated on a couple of occasions. The birds finally flew off north over the Salcott Channel at about 15:30. I am not aware of any subsequent sightings. They could be miles away now.

Dave

Update on the Stilts:

At Old Hall, the birds were first spotted by Colin Mackenzie-Grieve at about 12:20, during a WeBS count. They were then in field 1/8. The birds disappeared but were later found in Bale Field, where several people observed and photographed them. They were definately a breeding pair as they copulated on a couple of occasions. The birds finally flew off north over the Salcott Channel at about 15:30. I am not aware of any subsequent sightings. They could be miles away now.

Dave

I had them at sunset yesterday at about TL973130. Unless you're talking about no subsequent sightings after 15.30 today...?

Stilts are apparently still at Old Hall, c500 yards east of the north east corner of the "short walk". So here ish, I guess.

Was kinda surprised they were still there yesterday - very surprised they're there today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back