• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Saw the Osprey twice 40 minutes apart from the causeway this evening - a similar pattern of flying around the pool and back over the reservoir. The second time it perched in a dead tree for a couple of minutes until 4 Magpies pushed it off.

Oddly, it was also seen about 40 minutes before my first sighting, too.

Simon

Just caught the Hanningfield Osprey circle the pool twice this afternoon (about 2pm) then half an hour later it was circling over the woods on the West side of the reservoir, but very distant.
Lovely to see though.

Pleasant evening walk out at Wakering Stairs yesterday with a fairly stiff SE onshore breeze which probably accounted for the Spotted Flycatcher that appreared briefly. No Nightingales singing but several Turtle Doves, a Hobby, a Cuckoo, Whitethroats and Blackcaps. First birding out locally since my birding trip to Israel, not quite the same but nice all the same.

EBR 2011 appendix 3 states 389 as of 31 December 2011. This will presumably exclude any pending with BBRC/BOURC at this time. I can't think of any potential additions since (but Slaty Backed and Thayer's Gulls are probably both pending still - I'm sure Steve will know ;0)

Paul

Female Dotterel has been found on Wallasea this morning, I can't get there till later this evening as working in London today :(

The Slaty-backed and Thayers Gulls are still pending at present, probably will be for some time to come I would imagine...

A female Dotterel was found on Wallasea island this morning. It's in the first ploughed field on the right after going through the entrance gate.

Best thing would be to park on the verge just before the gate (i.e. by the start of the track to the white gate) and then walk the remaining 200 yards or so to view south from the Spoonbill sign.

View only from the road please.

Having never been to Wallasea, I'm assuming the only directions needed are to follow Creeksea Ferry Road? Any other info would be gratefully received.

Phil

That is correct. Once on Wallasea keep going east towards Gapnall's Farm and turn right at the farm and park at the end of the dead end road at the white gate and view ploughed field from there.

Alternatively continue along the road to the RSPB car park and park at the north end of the ploughed field by the 'Spoonbill' sign and view from there. There is a car park at the end of the road, on either side, and birding can be made along the seawall from here.

That is correct. Once on Wallasea keep going east towards Gapnall's Farm and turn right at the farm and park at the end of the dead end road at the white gate and view ploughed field from there.

Alternatively continue along the road to the RSPB car park and park at the north end of the ploughed field by the 'Spoonbill' sign and view from there. There is a car park at the end of the road, on either side, and birding can be made along the seawall from here.

Cheers Steve, much appreciated.

Phil

I don't know if it's been looked for today.

Yesterday it was present in the field till 7.20pm when it flew high to the south. This may have happened previously as someone else was on site prior to me arriving and the bird wasn't present for about 50mins but flew in high over them from the south calling and landed in the field. Perhaps it has some other area it also favours?

Hopefully it will pitch itself up again for others to see it, it is a cracking individual.

I'm not, off to Fair Isle tomorrow.

Pretty quiet birding wise at present, best I had over the weekend was a Caspian and Adult MedGulls at Bowers Marsh along with the lond staying tip leucistic Great Black-backed Gull. A Peregrine there also plus one over the garden, still no Buzzards over the garden this year which is odd as they were near daily last year.

Shame the Blyths Reed Warbler at Writtle didn't linger for the Essex listers..

Turtle Dove

Hi, I've had a lovely Turtle Dove in my tiny garden for the last two days. It's been hanging about with the Collared Doves, but is much more timid than them and flies off at the slightest disturbance. Photos below taken through the (rather dirty) double glazed patio doors, and the constant drizzle, so are rubbish naturally. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!

Attachments

• Turtle Dove in grass.jpg
    Turtle Dove in grass.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Turtle Dove in tree.jpg
    Turtle Dove in tree.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi, I've had a lovely Turtle Dove in my tiny garden for the last two days. It's been hanging about with the Collared Doves, but is much more timid than them and flies off at the slightest disturbance. Photos below taken through the (rather dirty) double glazed patio doors, and the constant drizzle, so are rubbish naturally. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!

That's a great one Debbie!! I have been looking out for one, not seen one yet.

Thanks zomerset, it was my first too - been looking for two years and it just dropped into the garden. Still around this evening so I'm hoping it will be around tomorrow when the weather will be better for photos.

We get many collared doves in my mums garden,am always checking in there just in case we get a turtle but never have,I dream that one day we will.
Coal tit is the best I can manage today,reasonably regular in the Central upminster garden but not for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back