• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Nice pics Andy

many thanks.

re the Herons & Egrets, there were a pair of each on the marsh whilst i was there, possibly the same birds? also the female kingfisher seemed to be flying away towards the Mardyke and coming back from that direction to the nest so possibly same bird again. The male flew inland around the bank and then north west across the marsh

I spent this afternoon at RSPB Rainham Marshes which when I look a the OS map for the area is just in Essex, or the part where I was is - apologies to anyone from London who disagrees as I realise it's very borderline (literally). Anyway back to birds, and i spent my time there in the Marshland hide watching the kingfishers coming and going to their nest, lovely close views and although most of the time they were in and out very quickly a kind swan positioned itself right in front of the nest and the kingfishers just moved around the various perches waiting for it to move so got some lengthy views (thank you mr. swan!). I managed plenty of pics and here are a few of them, some in flight and some perched. One pic was a bit of a disaster as the bird was so close I couldnt get it in the frame with my 100-400 lens on 300mm, most of the pics were taken at between 200 & 300mm FL

Yeah - nice pictures! Waiting for news this week of fledglings!!

13-05-2014 19:00
I gave myself the challenge of spotting kingfishers on 2 sites in one evening and I did it. First at Belhus Woods, the kingfisher was only a few feet from me in the hedge next to one of the lakes and took off across the lake. I then saw it later in a tree on the island, it was a perfect photo opportunity but I didn't have the camera as I was out running. It then took off and disappeared off over the lake. There might have been 2 as when one left my sight, another then quickly flew past. The next kingfisher was at Chafford Gorges, the closest I have got to one as this site. I think I disturbed it whilst it was fishing, as it seemed to stop in it tracks at a tree (not sure if that's the correct term whilst flying!) and then fly off. As it did, it did a quick dive, trying to catch a fish. I could then see it hitting the water, fishing in a cove, further around the lake. I then saw it again from the other side of the lake when some geese did a mass take off chasing after food. It's good at Chafford how you can stand quietly at the lakes edge and birds pass close by not realising you are there. I've had great views of GCGs, ducks, geese, swans, fish and tonight a coot with chicks. Some of them of course think I have food.

Last edited:
Essex fledgling kingfishers

19-05-14 19:00
I saw my first Essex kingfisher fledglings this evening!!!!!!!!!! They were being chased away by the parents. I saw four kingfisher fly past together. One parent was chasing one fledgling away whilst the other parent chased another away. One pair went across the lake, the other pair around an island. They were calling/squabbling previously but I couldn't seen them. There was a lot of noise and then they flew past. I tried to get a photo but it all happened too quick and just a little too far away. It was great!!!!! Cheers!!B :)

20-05-14 19:00
On Chafford Gorge a male and female kingfisher were fishing and flying over the path with fish I presume for their young. They flew over my head only a few metres away. I could see the shining blue and red colour. Great! Also a Jay swooping over and green WP. At Stanford Warren a kingfisher also flew over head a few metres away. A comman tern was diving, I like their small call. Then to top it all a Nightingale. Oh and a cuckoo calling in the distance by the church!

Last edited:
21-05=2014 19:00
On Chafford Gorge a Kingfisher flying around the perimeter of the main lake this evening. Both Green and GSWP. A couple Heron and Egret flying in. Reed Warblers could be heard. A Thrush singing loudly. A late Brambling? A Greenfinch. A strange site was a Greylag goose with chicks taking on six Canadian Geese and managing to get hold of one of their chicks, but then thankfully dropping it. On Stanford Warren, a Kingfisher up and over the path, a Reed Warbler, Heron and GCG.

Last edited:
22-05-2014 12:15
Kingfisher over the match lake at Warren Fishery in stealth mode i.e. we did not hear it flying over, luckily saw it's blue.

I wonder if these are fledglings, RB has spotted a few KF at CG.
When: 23 May 2014
Where: Chafford Gorges Nature Park (TQ5979)
Who: Ruth Barnes
What: Kingfisher (4)

28-05-14 19:00
Warren Fishery; Kingfisher up and over the path next to the Match lake, GCG, Common tern, green finch, thrush and a few LTT. I could hear Cuckoo's and Green WP at both ends of Warren Stanford.

Last edited:
29-05-14 19:00
Warren Fishery; Kingfisher on the Match lake (I do wonder if this one is a loner and the pair are elsewhere), GCG. I could hear the Cuckoo, still not found it. A strange sight at Chafford Gorge, a crow mobbing a heron. Then a pair of L. Egret, another heron flying off. A lot of starlings, roosting. Plenty of swifts and quite a few LTT. A kingfisher right in a tree next to me but it was gone in a flash.

01-06-14 19:00
Chafford Gorge; 3 L. Egret, 3 heron. A kingfisher flying around the perimeter of the lake.
02-06-14 19:00
Warren Fishery; A Kingfisher on the Match lake & then over to the main lake (there might have been 2), a GCG. I could hear the Cuckoo (again possibly two) & a GWP. Reed Warblers and lot's of young LTT. A Greenfinch. The best sight was a Marsh Harrier (so I was informed) over the top of the reeds in a zig zag pattern looking for prey at Stanford Warren.

I found RBs full report on ELBF from last Friday;
Chafford Hundred, Warren Gorge - 2ad 3juv Kingfisher, 30 Little Egret, 7 Grey Heron, 2ad 3juv Great Crested Grebe, 3 mallard, 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Greylag, 18 Canada Goose, 2 Shelduck, 19 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 5 House Sparrow, 8 House Martin, 5 Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, 5 Blackcap, 5 Reed Warbler, 7 Wren, 2 Song Thrush, Blackbird, 18 Great Tit, 9 Long Tailed Tit, 22 Blue Tit, Kestrel (RB)

Chafford Hundred, Grays Gorge - 2ad 2juv Kingfisher, 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Little Grebe, Nightingale, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 7 Wren, 4 Robin, 23 Blue Tit, 26 Great Tit, 16 Long Tailed Tit (RB)
Thanks to RB and ELBF for the info!!

12-06-14 18:00 Stanford Warren/Mucking
A stunning Marsh Harrier flying in sight for more than 5 minutes over the top of the reeds in a zig zag pattern looking for prey at Stanford Warren. It then dropped down in the reeds. A kingfisher on the creek. A cormorant flying over. A young GCG on the fishing lake, hopefully one of the chicks I saw earlier in the year.

18-06-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
The kingfisher was on the match lake and then up and over to the large lake. Thought I'd lost it but heard it call when it caught a fish and was in a tree on an island. Then it was on the walkway before flying off. Also 6 tufted ducks and a few LTT.

26-06-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
The Kingfisher was on the match lake and then up and over to the large lake and back a few times. It seemed on a real mission. There was a Green Woodpecker and Heron. There were a few Skylarks on the grassland leading up to Thurrock Thameside NR (I like it how they suddenly fly up, hover and can dive and their call) There were a couple other Birders who had spotted the Marsh Harrier on the reeds and a Short Eared Owl up at the NR.

03-07-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
The Kingfisher and heron were on the match lake. My other favorites the Skylarks were on the grassland leading up to Thurrock Thameside NR, hovering, suddenly appearing and calling. I also enjoyed the swallows who this evening were on the creek.

Last edited:
08-07-2014 19:00 Belhus Woods
Great evening at BW. A pair of Kingfisher calling and chasing each other - a great sound, piercing calls. Everywhere I could hear them. Pairs of Cormorants, GCGs with chicks, GWP, Jay, Heron, 4 Common terns.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back