• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oil drilling off the Falklands (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

Those of you who watch the news avidly will no doubt have heard about the spatt between Britain and Argentina in the last few days. This is due to the first oil drilling off the islands (bbc news link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8533860.stm). Whilst i'm sure of the economic benefit of the drilling, I am actually more concerned about the potential destruction of the wonderful avifauna of the islands that a oil spillage may cause. What do others think?

CB

I think it's been going on in the North Sea for decades and we've still got birds here.

Whilst that is true and the chances of a large spillage is probably quite low. Even a relatively small spillage could have a disastrous effect on the local birdlife. Small oil spillages seem to be more common and generally go unreported by the media. Maybe someone can correct me, but I always thought that the Falklands had a good number of endemic species/subspecies.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back