• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Knot (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Got an early morning call to tell me there was a Great Knot round the corner at Skippool. Dashed there before the hordes descended, as they surely will for a third for Britain.

If you live anywhere near Lancs and don't mind big crowds go and see it - it is in partial summer plumage and very distinctive. Tides may be awkward for the next few hours.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

Do you know if it was found last night and kept hushed until confirmed this morning? There's no way I can get there until tomorrow morning!!!

Tomo.

Tom - not as far as I know. One of the birders present said he was there last night and it wasn't there then. To be honest it is unmistakable.

John - if it returns the estuary is relatively narrow there so views would be passable at worst and probably excellent. So no 'Great Dot'.

Stephen.

Stephen many thanks I was fortunate to have seen the Teeside bird before it became a complete Great Dot.

John

Nice one, Stephen - I'm jealous. According to Rare Bird Alert "it flew off high SW at 8.12 a.m. leaving estuary", so sounds like it's done a bunk. Perhaps to be refound on the Ribble?

Jason,

Yeah, Fairhaven must be a good bet though there are plenty of places on the Ribble where it would never be found.

If it is the bird reported near Dublin last week then I suppose it could turn up anywhere over the next week or so.

Stephen.

I should have added that the former County Recorder was arriving as I left, I stopped the car and told him it was showing well and where it was. As he walked towards the group watching it the bird had taken flight and they shouted frantically at him but he didn't get on it.

Sometimes being helpful doesn't always help!

Stephen.

Tide times:

Todays next low is at 5.13pm.

If it flew south west it could simply have gone further down stream. Looking at an OS map the whole area is riddle with hiding places. I remember last years White-r.Sand could go missing for hours as well...

See you at first light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomomom

Tom,

Optimism is always best on these occasions, but on the one occasion the WR Sand was seen to fly high to the south I am afraid it was Goodnight Vienna!

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
I should have added that the former County Recorder was arriving as I left, I stopped the car and told him it was showing well and where it was. As he walked towards the group watching it the bird had taken flight and they shouted frantically at him but he didn't get on it.

Sometimes being helpful doesn't always help!

Stephen.
You won't be getting any more records accepted then! :D

seen lots abroad but none here yet, missed last being on my travels somewhere .....as you probably guessed I won't be going but if it were in Norfolk I'd be severely tempted..... :h?: Nah....I would go if it was Norfolk! ;)

good luck people - hope the dudes don't scare it off....... :eek!:

might be a good time to get up the coast today/tomorrow - Norfolk will be emptier than usual i suspect....

Tim Allwood said:
seen lots abroad but none here yet, missed last being on my travels somewhere .....as you probably guessed I won't be going but if it were in Norfolk I'd be severely tempted..... :h?: Nah....I would go if it was Norfolk! ;)

good luck people - hope the dudes don't scare it off....... :eek!:

might be a good time to get up the coast today/tomorrow - Norfolk will be emptier than usual i suspect....

Tim,

I wouldn't go to Norfolk for one (admission - never went for Black Lark) but it is absolutely fantastic to see one on the doorstep.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back