• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

Couple of hours at the Flashes. 2 Winter plumaged Dunlin, 12 Snipe, 4 Mipits, 2 Raven, lots of Redwing and bickering Blackbirds, 200 Lapwing, a few Fieldfare, Cetti's Warbler calling.

Couple of hours at the Flashes. 2 Winter plumaged Dunlin, 12 Snipe, 4 Mipits, 2 Raven, lots of Redwing and bickering Blackbirds, 200 Lapwing, a few Fieldfare, Cetti's Warbler calling.

FLASHES
Can't add a lot to Gert's sightings this evening.
Teal 15, shoveler 8, greylag 30, water rail 2 calling, kestrel, curlew 13, green sand 2 roosted, BHG roost up a little since 18th to 400, goldcrest, No owls although we did check out all the likely places.

MOORS
GCG. little grebe 6, cormorant 20, shoveler 35 most feeding on the New Zealand pygmy weed in the Broadmeadow, Teal 40, Pochard male, snipe 40+,
blackcap and chiffchaff by the chestnut tree per Dave W

Looks like scissors were in short supply in those days !!

Been looking at the sketches and discussing with Geoff Holmes Shropshire recorder take a look at no 52 pretty sure this is John Ridley have let Ticker know a little before my time but have to admit a fair few faces are familiar !:t:

Been looking at the sketches and discussing with Geoff Holmes Shropshire recorder take a look at no 52 pretty sure this is John Ridley have let Ticker know a little before my time but have to admit a fair few faces are familiar !:t:

Must admit JHWR came to mind as soon as I opened the link (drop us a text John if it is you)

Some pics from today's work party.
1. Before.
2. After.
3. Man bashing head with flat board.
4. The fire.
5. Peter and JTB worked so hard the heat rising from them made pic impossible.
:t::t::t:

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 115
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 127
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 172
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 124
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 168
Today's work on the east marsh

This was the 2nd week of creating the northern section, of the EAST MARSH.
The willows towards the waters edge were removed and burned. This area is noticeably wetter than the area where the fire was sited. There is an obvious incline from the waters edge to the tree/scrub line in front of 'Lifestyles'. By dragging the branches out to the fire we were creating wet muddy areas. So it shouldn't take too much for the area to become very wet and 'cettis friendly'.

Many thanks to the team (14 )
Bobby O (leader),Dave H, Ray C, Terry W, Keith M, Peter E, Gazza P, Tony B, Bob P, Bob R, Jim. Janet, Charles, and me

Later Peter , Bobby P and Janet checked out and cleaned all the nest boxes.

Pics
1. before work
2. same area after work
3. after looking further north
4. looking from fire towards the secret garden - showing how wet area is getting
5. looking to the southern section of the EAST MARSH. created last year.
We will leave the dead and dying trees and any tall alders. Scrub such as bramble, hawthorn, black thorn and fruit trees will also remain. In time the 'wetting' of the area will change the vegetation dramatically and more marsh loving vegetation will appear. Luckily the trees haven't completely destroyed the marsh plants and a narrow strip survives on the waters edge as well as in small isolated pools. This includes reeds, reed mace (bullrush), soft rush and flag iris. There is scope for mechanical intervention, but that's for the future. In the mean time we will monitor its progression and which species utilise it. The targeted cettis and water rail were certainly finding it to their liking minutes after we had finished.
NEXT WEEK WILL SEE THE WORK COMPLETED.

Attachments

• 1A. east marsh B4 25th Nov DSCF3478 (2) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    1A. east marsh B4 25th Nov DSCF3478 (2) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2A. East marsh phase 2. DSCF3549.jpg
    2A. East marsh phase 2. DSCF3549.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 3A.east marsh phase 2 afta wrk DSCF3552.jpg
    3A.east marsh phase 2 afta wrk DSCF3552.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 4. east marsh looking to secret garden  DSCF3553.jpg
    4. east marsh looking to secret garden DSCF3553.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 5.east marsh southern  end last year 2DSCF3555.jpg
    5.east marsh southern end last year 2DSCF3555.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Birding at Moors

A bit quiet considering the cold snap we have had.
During the work a few siskin and the odd redpoll went over, plenty of thrushes were feeding in the hedgerows. From the east hide a cettios wperformed well, but not sure our 'togs' were on the ball 8-P.
Ducks were again down in number and most of the snipe were in hiding.

Species count MOORS: GCG, little grebe 5, cormorant 18, shoveler 35, teal 42, tufted 10, snipe 20, Lapwing 20, curlew 13 fed in the north A38 field all day. BHG 250, coot 230, water rail 6 along east side, buzzard, great sp woodp 2, fieldfare 15, redwing 80, cettis 3 singing along east side from NM to Broadmeadow pool, siskin 3, redpoll,

FLASHES Little grebe 3rd flash, greylag 31, teal 21, mallard 120, coot 10, water rail 2, moorhen 39, snipe 21, green sand 3 roosted, curlew 13, lapwing 156, jack snipe landed on end of spit late on, BHG 420 roosted , LBBG 2 roosted, redwing 120 roosted and fed in adjacent fields, cettios and 3rd flash.

Great job guys I think mr Potter has cracked the fires John promotion on the cards me thinks :t: GOLDEN WELLY AWARD :t:

Last edited:
A bit quiet considering the cold snap we have had.
During the work a few siskin and the odd redpoll went over, plenty of thrushes were feeding in the hedgerows. From the east hide a cettios wperformed well, but not sure our 'togs' were on the ball 8-P.
Ducks were again down in number and most of the snipe were in hiding.

Species count MOORS: GCG, little grebe 5, cormorant 18, shoveler 35, teal 42, tufted 10, snipe 20, Lapwing 20, curlew 13 fed in the north A38 field all day. BHG 250, coot 230, water rail 6 along east side, buzzard, great sp woodp 2, fieldfare 15, redwing 80, cettis 3 singing along east side from NM to Broadmeadow pool, siskin 3, redpoll,

FLASHES Little grebe 3rd flash, greylag 31, teal 21, mallard 120, coot 10, water rail 2, moorhen 39, snipe 21, green sand 3 roosted, curlew 13, lapwing 156, jack snipe landed on end of spit late on, BHG 420 roosted , LBBG 2 roosted, redwing 120 roosted and fed in adjacent fields, cettios and 3rd flash.

For the uninitiated, a "cettios" is the very Spanish sub-species only seen or heard once in the UK....................................................today!

Des.

Moors Nest Box Survey

Over the years numerous nest boxes have been placed around the Moors but there has been very little follow-up with published information about breeding attempts. Consequently Janet, Bob P and I carried out a survey after the work party to locate the boxes, look for evidence of past nesting attempts, and to start cleaning out the boxes. In all we found 20 boxes designed for passerines and one owl box. We were able to access all but 3 boxes and were pleasantly surprised to find that almost all of the boxes south of the causeway (the West track, the Secret Garden and the stretch in front of Lifestyles) had some nesting material in them. The boxes in the wood on the North Moors Trail were apparently less used by birds in recent years but they are appreciably older and in worse condition; however, three of these boxes are currently providing a des res for some very energetic mice.

We will replace some of the more decrepit boxes and monitor breeding attempts. We hope to provide information about which species use the boxes and, perhaps, which are the more successful sites for breeding.

Roll on spring!

Peter

I have just received an updated history for a Black-headed Gull with a green wing-tag and white lettering "XU" which was seen at Upton Warren in 2001. This was one of the first ever ringed gulls noted on the reserve.

4th July 2001 - ringed as a first calendar year bird at Haren, 3 miles SSE of Groningen, Netherlands
19th September 2001 - Upton Warren Nature Reserve, Worcs
24th September 2001 - Upton Warren Nature Reserve, Worcs
29th September 2001 - Upton Warren Nature Reserve, Worcs
27th March 2004 - Gorechtkade, Groningen, Netherlands
17th July 2005 - Ruischerwaard, Groningen, Netherlands (the last two sightings were both in urban locations)

I have overlooked the ringing scheme crediting Upton Warren as being in Gloucestershire ....:C

Last edited:
Moors Nest Box Survey

Over the years numerous nest boxes have been placed around the Moors but there has been very little follow-up with published information about breeding attempts. Consequently Janet, Bob P and I carried out a survey after the work party to locate the boxes, look for evidence of past nesting attempts, and to start cleaning out the boxes. In all we found 20 boxes designed for passerines and one owl box. We were able to access all but 3 boxes and were pleasantly surprised to find that almost all of the boxes south of the causeway (the West track, the Secret Garden and the stretch in front of Lifestyles) had some nesting material in them. The boxes in the wood on the North Moors Trail were apparently less used by birds in recent years but they are appreciably older and in worse condition; however, three of these boxes are currently providing a des res for some very energetic mice.

We will replace some of the more decrepit boxes and monitor breeding attempts. We hope to provide information about which species use the boxes and, perhaps, which are the more successful sites for breeding.

Roll on spring!

Peter

Gavo did a survey a couple of years ago, the results of which were incorporated into the species accounts 2012 annual report (esp Blue and Great Tits). I will see if I still have the raw data,

Gavo did a survey a couple of years ago, the results of which were incorporated into the species accounts 2012 annual report (esp Blue and Great Tits). I will see if I still have the raw data,

Thanks, Phil. That would be useful. Also apologies to Gavo for overlooking his work.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back