• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Raptor ID Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

Destined to Fly

Destined to Fly
I volunteer at a Wildlife Rehab Centre in Southern, Ontario and we have just admitted this young raptor. We are split on what it is. It weighs 240 grams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Destined to Fly

Attachments

• waiaasm2.jpg
    waiaasm2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 122
  • waibbsm2.jpg
    waibbsm2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I do not know anything about identifying raptor chicks, but Golden Eagle is reputed to breed only in Northern Ontario, so if this bird is from southern Ontario, it might be worth looking at other possibilities. Can a Red-tailed Hawk be ruled out? Found one photo that looks somewhat similar: http://www.webblinks.com/postings/rt_sm_7/rt_2.jpg

Best,
Jim

I don't know much about identifying raptor chicks either, but this one isn't a Golden Eagle, as the tarsi are unfeathered. Golden Eagles also nest very early, so at this time of the year the chicks should be much bigger and more developed.

The median toe looks very long, which reminds me of Cooper's Hawk, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
Here are Cooper's Hawk chicks for comparison:
http://www.islandnet.com/beaconhillpark/graphics/219u_hawk_chicks_10K.jpg
http://www.islandnet.com/beaconhillpark/graphics/219f_Cooper's_hawk_chicks_14K.jpg
They have a similar dark spot behind and below the eye as the subject bird, while the Red-tailed Hawk chick linked by Jim hasn't. Also the bill shape looks better for Cooper's than Red-tailed (short and stubby).

Last edited:
We were split between Red-tailed Hawk and Cooper's Hawk. Personally I am thinking Cooper's because of the long toe and the lighter overall colour, however any other input would be wonderful, it seems to be hard to find information about young Raptors.
Cheers,
Destined to Fly

The description of Cooper's Hawk chicks on BNA (Birds of North America) does seem to match these photos fairly well--at least as I read it. Unfortunately, BNA doesn't provide a description of Red-tailed chicks.

Jack

Thank you for all your input and we will be checking out the suggested websites. The Wildlife Centre just admitted a Cooper's Hawk brancher (slightly older than the one that we are not sure of) photo included. The best thing for all of our young admissions is to raise them with others of their own kind and if we do not admit any, we send out an SOS to other Centres to see if anyone else has admitted the same type of animal/bird. We then arrange to get them together, either at our centre or at another.
Cheers,
Destined to Fly

Attachments

• Hawk_3july4th2008sm2.jpg
    Hawk_3july4th2008sm2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 66
Hello Everyone,
Just thought that I would put a more up to date photo of the bird in question. A Cooper's Hawk for sure.

It is great to be able to ask for IDs etc on Bird Forum!
Cheers,
Destined to Fly

Attachments

• COOPJUV080727100_3673SM.jpg
    COOPJUV080727100_3673SM.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 72
Post the photo of this bird to the International Falconry Forum. www.falconryforum.co.uk. You will be in touch with thousands of falconers worldwide.

One of the favorite threads that folks post is: guess what kind of bird it is. Folks often post a photo of their eyass in training.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back