• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Stork "what is on the bill" ? (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
This bird was found on Crete yesterday, can anyone throw any light on what the growth/deformity is on the mandible. The bird was observed flying/feeding and preening it did not seem bothered by whatever it is.
Thanks

ColD

Attachments

• Copy (2) of IMG_7276.jpg
    Copy (2) of IMG_7276.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Hi ColD,

I've seen similar growth's though not nearly as substantial on captive birds being treated in institutions and these have generally been classed as some form of tumor. Doesn't look good whatever it is though pleased to hear the bird appears to be behaving normally.

Mark

This bird was found on Crete yesterday, can anyone throw any light on what the growth/deformity is on the mandible. The bird was observed flying/feeding and preening it did not seem bothered by whatever it is.
Thanks

ColD

Hi,
i think it have rest' s of food, hair or grass under the tongue,
i had this few times with pheasants and waterfowl. Also i saw a White Stork
who had the tongue hanging out, at the same area, probable he had the same problem befor.
Cheers
Peter.

It is a hybrid white stork x pelican ;) , not sure which pelicans you get in your area 8-P

Nice one Motmot :t:, White Pelicans actually although they are as rare here as the White Stork. So a probable "Pelistor" mmm

Peter's suggestion sounds good but would that not mean a fault in the base of the mandible otherwise I think maybe Mark's Tumor theory sounds promising, again a fault in the bill base would a tumor attach to the outside or even grow through the hardness of the bill ?
Thanks for the imput guys :t:
Cheers
ColD

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back