• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor killings increase (1 Viewer)

Inevitable I'm afraid as soon as lockdown was considered. Some elements of the human race are despicable.

Another side effect of Covid 19

Saw this today
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52667502

and her is me thinking that the lockdown would help breeding birds due to there being less people about to disturb them. I suspect that were it "in season" grouse shooting would be one of the "sports" that would be allowed with social distancing.
It just goes to prove that despite all the education and pressure, the shooting lobby have no morals whatsoever and return to type as soon as they think they can get away with it.

Saw this on Twitter can't believe people are doing this.

It was entirely inevitable, as soon as lockdown drastically reduced the number of potential witnesses at large, that the hunting fraternity would indulge in a massacre of raptors. Disbelief should be reserved for the day they no longer behave in this manner.

Could it be that the number of reports increased because of the lockdown (more people aware of their surroundings and more eyes around because people aren't working / travelling)?

I mean: could this be an observer effect? (I hope so)

Could it be that the number of reports increased because of the lockdown (more people aware of their surroundings and more eyes around because people aren't working / travelling)?

I mean: could this be an observer effect? (I hope so)

No. Because of lockdown there are many fewer eyes around and the gamekeepers clearly came out of the starting blocks at the speed of light. A pox on all of them!

John

I feared this would happen

I feared this would happen but went we went walking from Dunsop Bridge on Friday I saw one Hen Harrier (ring-tail) not yet nesting I think but more positively was told by a volunteer I bumped into that there are seven active nests in the area a recent record. He expressed worries that as June/July comes and grouse season approaches that that will be the real test.
We also saw evidence that a least one nest area was being watched by the RSPB so hopefully Forest/trough of Bowland might buck this worrying trend and see Hen Harriers produce record number of chicks this year.

I feared this would happen but went we went walking from Dunsop Bridge on Friday I saw one Hen Harrier (ring-tail) not yet nesting I think but more positively was told by a volunteer I bumped into that there are seven active nests in the area a recent record. He expressed worries that as June/July comes and grouse season approaches that that will be the real test.
We also saw evidence that a least one nest area was being watched by the RSPB so hopefully Forest/trough of Bowland might buck this worrying trend and see Hen Harriers produce record number of chicks this year.

I hope your correct in regards to breeding success - a negative thought is that volunteers ( in what capacity I wonder ) are glibly broadcasting the fact.....you never know who the recipient might be, sadly egg thieves etc. There is educating and encouraging the general public but sadly an old phrase, "Loose talk costs lives." It is a war against reckless shooting estates and some individuals. Pleased you managed to see a ring tail.

Last edited:
It does look like if there was a concerted effort by gamekeepers/shooting estates to do the dirty deed whilst under apparent cover of coronavirus it may have spectacularly failed and brought the issue out into the open?

Obviously there are enough eyes out there to have noticed the perceived increase in raptor persecution.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back