• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Corncrake, Great Skua, Black Guillemot and Ringed Plover on Pabbay, south of Barra in the Scottish Outer Hebrides in May this year. On a climbing trip not a birding trip but probably the most productive bird events I've had since my first visit to Leighton Moss a couple of years ago. Also the first time I'd heard Snipe roding at dusk.

The Corncrakes were so noisy and numerous that one of our party joked about throwing his boots at them just to get to sleep. Just took my bins out one afternoon off from rock-climbing not expecting to see the crake and after five minutes the cheeky fella strolled right across my field of view not to be seen again.

Last lifer was the elusive Laughing gull in Yorkshire, succeeded on third attempt! So it is no longer laughing at me now :bounce:
Total lifers this year = 6 Slowing down a bit now.

2 Pallid Swifts yesterday both on my local patch too.You cant ask for more than that. Ive also had 17 lifers this year...... :t: :t: :t: :t:

Common Redshank at Marievale in Nigel South Africa (Later confirmed with a second sighting by other birders). What a summer... I have added almost 90 Lifers in 18 months...... Southern African total now 522.

When I began this thread, Friday 2nd September 2005, my last life bird was a Sharp-tailed Grouse seen January 30, 2005 in Minnesota.

As of today, my last life bird was a Sharp-tailed Grouse seen January 30, 2005 in Minnesota.

It has been quite a "dry spell"!

Larry Lade said:
It has been quite a "dry spell"!

I'm also suffering one of those - my last lifer was collared pratincole back at the end of May... would really like another before the end of the year.

Larry Lade said:
I know that we have birders of all ages and number of years participating in this
pastime we all enjoy.

But, I thought that it would be interesting to see when it was that you observed your last "life" bird. *A "life" bird is one which you now have seen, but have never seen it in the wild before.

What was it? When? and Where?

My last "life" bird was:

Sharp-tailed Grouse seen in Sax-Zim bog area of northern Minnesota, USA, January 30, 2005

my last 2 were seen on Tues this week and were Sokoke Pipit and Sokoke scops owl both endemics of Aruboka Sokoke forest near Malindi on the coast of Kenya

Mike D in Nairobi

Silvery-throated Jays in the highlands of Costa Rica--the culmination of a 10-day trip with an amazing 75 lifers among 365 species seen. Other delights were Rufous-necked Wood-Rail, Great Green Mackaws, and a Snowcap. Richard Garrigues did a fine job of shepherding 8 birders around the country.

Phalarope

Wryneck (after four years and numerous attempts to see one)

Shag

Bridled morph of the Common Murre

Short-toed Lark

All four seen on 14th may this year. Sadly,no lifers since then...I hope to see some during the next trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back