• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (4 Viewers)

Warblers arrive

Hello all,

The warblers have started to arrive and I managed to sight palm warblers and pine warblers, I started seeing hermit thrushes, on Thursday.
Today, I sighted a ruby crowned kinglet as well a flock of cedar winged waxxbirds. Agains an overcast sky, I recognized two on a branch without even seeing the yellow stripe on the tail. Seeing two, I knew to look around as they are rather gregarious and found another eight nearby. Cedar wa

On the woodpecker front. I saw both a northern flicker and a yellow bellied sapsucker.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Pine warblers.jpg
    Pine warblers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 62
  • palm warbler.jpg
    palm warbler.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 58
Into spring

Hello,

I have little new to report. I am fairly sure that I saw a white crowned sparrow and a wood thrush. Today I was a large raptor over the Great Lawn. With its white head and white tail, I am confident that it was an adult bald eagle. This would be only my third sighting of the U.S. national symbol.

I add a photograph of Cherry Hill, at its best.

Bird images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; Cherry Hill taken from Bow Bridge with my iPod.

Today, I met a group of bird watchers on the Point. When I mentioned that there was a black crowned night heron on the opposite shore, right ahead of me. The leader asked where in relations to some daffodils. To which I replied a few meters to the right. Before he put his glass to his eye he asked, "Isn't that a supermarket bag?" Sometimes, the unexpected happens.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• White crowned sparrow.jpg
    White crowned sparrow.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 74
  • wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Bald eagle.jpg
    Bald eagle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Cherry HIll.jpg
    Cherry HIll.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 83
:-O

Like you, and KC, I've been caught out by them too Arthur. Fortunately my ones haven't been quite so public!:eek!:

Hello KC and Delia,

I have learned to take a good look at everything and take nothing for granted.

On Sunday, I was at the Reservoir where I sam my first red throated loon but not in full breeding plumage,
and where I saw truly ruddy ruddy ducks, whose bills were not yet blue, if I recall.
Last week, I also saw a blue gray gnatcatcher. Yesterday, I saw a pair of Eastern towhees at the feeders, along with brown headed cowbirds. Today's best sighting was a myrtle warbler also known as a yellow rumped warbler or a butter butt.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, from Birds of New York,

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Loon, red throated.jpg
    Loon, red throated.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 74
  • gnatcatchers.jpg
    gnatcatchers.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 70
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Congrats on your lifer Arthur!

I've still got a few Butter-butts hanging around but haven't seen a Blue-gray Gnatcher yet. I hear them but haven't seen any.

Rain

Hello all,

Rain has shortened my bird watching this week and Sunday, I travel to Brooklyn, if my papers are in order. However, I thought that I might add a few birds, newly seen this season. First of all, for only the second time I spotted a yellow crowned night heron. It was on the Point on Thursday. A little belatedly, I saw tree swallows flying over the Reservoir. By chance, I passed by a bit of grass north of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where a few bird watchers were staring intently at some house sparrows. It turned out that one of the birds was a male indigo bunting, a bird I have not seen in quite a while.
The bills of the ruddy ducks on the Reservoir are starting to turn blue and there are still buffleheads on the Reservoir, but not for much longer.
I also attach a photo of the 3,500 year old Egyptian obelisk which is in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• tree swallow.jpg
    tree swallow.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Indigo bunting.jpg
    Indigo bunting.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Obelisk.jpg
    Obelisk.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hello Arthur,

Glad you're seeing some spring migrants. I saw 50+ species in the park yesterday on a group outing. Highlights were Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, Veery, and 11 warbler species including American Redstart and Black-throated Blue Warbler.

A great birding location for sure, and what a resource for you to tap into.

Hello Birdmeister,

You did very well. I avoid groups but it is clear that dozens more pairs of eyes may help.

Today, I did see a rose breasted grosbeak at the feeders. Near the Northern Lobe, aka Bank Rock Pool, I saw a northern parula; on the Point were several black and white warblers; at the Oven, I saw a male Amerian redstart and east of the Maintenance Meadow, a yellow warbler turned up.

Last week, I saw my first prairie warbler of the season.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Attachments

• rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 82
  • black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 73
  • American redstart.jpg
    American redstart.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Yellow warbler.jpg
    Yellow warbler.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
That it for spring

Hello all,

Today, the temperature may reach 25ºC; tomorrow perhaps 30ºC. New Yorkers say that we never have much of a spring and that seems true.

Today's new birds were a spotted sandpiper, a warbling vireo, a blue headed vireo, a Baltimore Oriole, and an orchard oriole.

Other birds seen today include:
mallards,
double crested cormorants,
a great egret,
a black crowned night heron,
northern cardinals,
blue jays,
rose breasted grosbeaks,
red winged blackbirds,
mourning doves,
grackles
downy woodpeckers,
red bellied woodpeckers,
northern flickers,
yellow warblers,
northern parula,
prairie warblers,
black and white warblers,
blue gray gnatcatcher,
a northern waterthrush,
white throated sparrows
an Eastern towhee,
and a tufted titmouse.

All illustrations by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching, :scribe:
Arthur

Attachments

• spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 74
  • warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 76
  • blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 82
  • oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 82
  • Orioles, orchard.jpg
    Orioles, orchard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 72
Warblers!

Hello,

the sudden summer weather seems to have brought many birds from the south.

I have mentioned the prairie warblers, which are as persistent like the palm and black and white warblers. I did see the black throated blue winged, the Maryland warbler, also known as the common yellow throat, magnolia warblers, and a hooded warbler.

On the Reservoir, I saw another spotted sandpiper, an American coot, blue billed ruddy ducks.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Prairie warbler.jpg
    Prairie warbler.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57
  • hooded warbler.jpg
    hooded warbler.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 53
Warblers and...

Hello,

I will finish off the week with five birds. I saw both a Nashville warbler and a Cape May warbler. Earlier this week, I finally saw an Eastern Kingbird, which is probably nesting in the Park. Wednesday and Thursday I was male scarlet tanagers or maybe the same one twice as the sightings were in virtually the same locations. Yesterday, I am pretty sure I saw a horned grebe on the Reservoir.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Nashville warbler.jpg
    Nashville warbler.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Cape May Warbler.jpg
    Cape May Warbler.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 52
  • tananger, scarlet.jpg
    tananger, scarlet.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 58
  • horned grebe.jpg
    horned grebe.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sunday in the Park

Hello all,

On Sunday, central Park was swarming with bird watchers, known as homo sapiens binoculars to a non-bird watcher. One of them gave me a tip on two birds: a prothonotary warbler and a Kentucky warbler. The latter seemed to have been spooked by all the attention and unfortunate noise, flying off before I could see it. I also managed to see black throated green, Blackburnian and bay breasted warblers.

A familiar warm weather bird, a gray catbird turned up a while back and will stay in the Park for the warm weather.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, form Eaton's Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• prothonotary.jpg
    prothonotary.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Black throated green.jpg
    Black throated green.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 55
  • blackburnian warblers.jpg
    blackburnian warblers.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Bay breasted.jpg
    Bay breasted.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 49
  • catbird, gray.jpg
    catbird, gray.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 55
Hello,

First of all, let me note some non-warblers. Swainson's thrushes and ovenbirds are showing up. This morning, I saw a blue grosbeak, a life bird. It was not completely blue but I was happy to see it.

I can also add blackpoll, and worm eating warblers to my sightings.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 54
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 57
  • Grosbeak,, blue.jpg
    Grosbeak,, blue.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Blackpoll.jpg
    Blackpoll.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 57
  • worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
the story of my bird watching life

Hello all,

First of all, I did not see the Kirtland's warbler which visited Central Park. I arrived at its last known location, this morning, only to hear, "You should have been here thrty minutes, ago." How many times have you heard that line?

Today, I did see a Wilson's warbler. Over the last week, I did see a white eyed vireo and a yellow throated vireo, and chestnut sided warblers.

This past winter, I saw very few white breasted nuthatches, but today I did see one.

I never claimed to be able to predict bird sightings but today I got lucky. I was speaking with a couple who were less experienced than even I, at the pier on Turtle pond.. I was even asked by them to identify a double crested cormorant, a very common bird. I suggested that we were probably near a nest of Eastern kingbirds, when one turned up as I was talking.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Wilson's warbler.jpg
    Wilson's warbler.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 53
  • white eyed vireo.jpg
    white eyed vireo.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 56
  • warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 49
  • nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 59
Sorry to hear about the Kirtland's Warbler. Our member "glide133" was able to see it and get a photo of it. Fingers crossed for you Arthur.

First of all, I did not see the Kirtland's warbler which visited Central Park. I arrived at its last known location, this morning, only to hear, "You should have been here thrty minutes, ago." How many times have you heard that line?

Oh dear - what a shame for you Arthur. Sorry...... and, yes, I've heard that one more times than I'd like to recall!!! Not fair is it.

Still it seems you did have a good session after all.

Thanks for the report.

Dear KC and Delia,

Not to worry as I always have a good day visiting Central Park.

Happy bird watching,

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back