• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa update ? (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Was wondering if anyone's been out there recently? We're going back ,in just over a month,to the Baga/Arpora area and would love to know any up-to-date info. We failed on the pitta last time ( tried Arpora woods and Fort Aguada, but not the "shitta" site !). Also ,we were unable to access Baga fields due to flooding ,(Carambolin similar) but that was in early Nov.
Any info greatly appreciated,
Bill Turner.

Was wondering if anyone's been out there recently? We're going back ,in just over a month,to the Baga/Arpora area and would love to know any up-to-date info. We failed on the pitta last time ( tried Arpora woods and Fort Aguada, but not the "shitta" site !). Also ,we were unable to access Baga fields due to flooding ,(Carambolin similar) but that was in early Nov.
Any info greatly appreciated,
Bill Turner.

I've just returned from 2 weeks there, staying at the Marinha Dourada in Arpora. Fairly leisurely birding, but still plenty of good stuff to be found.

Baga fields - still a bit wet on the coastal side and behind the Beira Mar and a bit long grass in places, but much of it is easily accessible with sturdy boots. Some parts were being burnt as we left, so access will be easier shortly.

Indian Pitta - I didn't see any at Arpora in 2 or 3 attempts including at dawn. The old site at Sinquerim (“Pitta in the Shitta”), has totally changed since I was last there – now a small bridge over the stream, no water in the stream, no shady toilet bushes to attract birds. Looked a waste of time trying there.

Carambolim - the lake itself is much the same as recently (rather poor), but there are a series of flooded areas both before the Brown Hawk Owl wood and the other side of this wood. Plenty of potential here.

Siolim paddies - work had just been started in the 2nd week of December, and superb numbers of birds were being attracted. 1500 Small Pratincoles can't be wrong!

Fort Aguada - easy access due to much of the grass already having been burnt off. Excellent numbers of birds and great potential for finding migrants.

Highlights of my visit and of the Bird Holidays tour to Goa/Dandeli in the same 2 weeks (not including the more expected species):

Yellow Bittern – a juv on Arpora pools throughout
Asian Openbill – up to 50 at Siolim paddies
Spoonbill – juv at Siolim on 15th
Steppe Buzzard – singles at Morjim and Grand Island
White-eyed Buzzard – seen at Morjim, Grand Island, Aguada, nr Mapusa, nr Carambolim
Legge's Hawk Eagle - 1 at Dandeli on 21st
Greater Spotted Eagle – usual small numbers around Carambolim/Cumbarjua
Indian Spotted Eagle – seemed a bit scarcer than normal
Tawny Eagle - 6+ Neura on 16th (unusually high number)
Amur Falcon – I personally saw 25 in the 2 weeks, including 12 together over the Marinha Dourada at dusk one evening
Shaheen Falcon – pair at Dandeli on 23rd
Slaty-breasted Rail – present behind Beira Mar and on Arpora pools
Oystercatcher - 1 at Morjim
Small Pratincole – up to 1500 at Siolim, small numbers elsewhere
Black-tailed Godwit - 200 near Carambolim on 16th (high numbers)
Broad-billed Sand – 1 near Carambolim on 16th
Gulls – only 1-2 Great Black-headeds seen at Morjim, up to 100 barabensis and 10+ heuglini. No Slender-billed reported here yet.
River Tern – 10 at PV Dam, Dandeli on 22nd
Green Imperial Pigeon – 3 at Molem on 25th
Oriental Turtle Dove – 2 at Aguada on 21st
Jacobin Cuckoo – odd singles still around the coast
Blue-faced Malkoha – 2 showy birds at Arpora Woods
Brown Wood Owl – heard at Saligao on 12th but difficult to see
Brown Hawk Owl – present in the usual wood at Carambolim and also next to the lake itself
Indian Jungle Nightjar – 4 seen roosting in daylight at Maem Lake
Savanna Nightjar – 4 seen well at a plateau site nr Mapusa
Pacific Swift – 1 at Satpal arboretum on 24th and up to 5 at Arpora on 22nd-24th
Blue-eared Kingfisher – 1 at Tropical Spice Farm near Ponda on 20th and also reported from Bondla
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher - 1 at Dandeli on 23rd and also reported from Bondla
Blue-bearded Bee-eater – 2 showing well at Maem lake
Common Flameback – pair at Dandeli on 23rd
Rufous-tailed Lark – reported from Divar just before I arrived
Brown-throated Sand martin – 1 at Carambolim on 16th
Brown Shrike – several single birds along the coast
Bay-backed Shrike – back in its usual trees behind the shacks at Morjim
Bluethroat – up to 8 in Baga fields
Isabelline Wheatear - 1 at Aguada on 19th
Red-breasted Flycatcher – 5+ at Fort Aguada on 21st
Taiga Flycatcher – 2 at Fort Aguada on 21st
Indian Scimitar Babbler – heard at Maem Lake
Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler – at least 2 at the usual wintering area at Tikanem
Grasshopper Warbler – a migrant in Baga fields on 25th
Booted Warbler - 1 at Baga fields on 13th, 1 at Aguada on 19th
Yellow-browed Warbler – 1 at Dandeli
Tytler's Leaf Warbler - 1 at Dandeli on 22nd
Vigors's Sunbird – fairly easily seen around Arpora, Baga and Saligao (including one next to the Marinha Dourada restaurant)
Lesser Whitethroat – singles at Maem Lake and Dandeli (halimodendri types, not Hume’s)
Red-headed Bunting – 1 at Tamdi Surla on 25th and 1 at Anjuna around the same time
Tricoloured Munia – up to 150 at Carambolim grassland site on 16th
Streaked Weaver - min of 5, maybe more, with Baya Weavers at Carambolim grassland site on 16th
Lesser Hill Myna – several at Dandeli

I'll reopen the Goa thread here to try encourage others to post their sightings this winter.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks, Mark - that's excellent. We're back at the Marinha Dourada too and will post a report on our return towards the end of Jan.
cheers, Bill.

One way of "getting" the Pitta might be to arrange for a stay at Backwoods Camp:
http://indianaturetours.com/news-from-the-field.html
http://www.backwoodsgoa.com/

I've seen Pitta whilst staying there. Also, in 2007 I found a Pitta up the track that leads up to Baga Hill that starts (started? - still there with the development that has been going on?) at the shrine towards the Arpora end of the road.

cheers
Gordon

I think a bit of luck is needed and being in suitable areas at dawn/dusk (and also being aware of their distinctive call). Pittas aren't that rare - several pairs breed in the Arpora valley in the wet season and they appear in many other coastal areas as well as at inland sites such as Backwoods. I've even seen one from the swimming pool terrace at the Beira Mar in the past.

Baga Hill - development and the road on top means it's not as productive as it was, but the forest on the southern side still looks good and I'm sure there will be similar species to Arpora with a bit of effort.

I think there may be some name changes from my Grimmett India Field Guide as I don't recognise some of the names mentioned above:

Legge's Hawk Eagle -
Shaheen Falcon
Vigors's Sunbird –
Tricoloured Munia –

Presumably these are either altenative names or Indian Racial splits?

Also as I will be out there in a couple or three months where is the usual Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler wintering area at Tikanem please. I may be a bit late at the end of February but you never know.

regards

Steve,
GrimSkip treated:
Legge's Hawk-eagle - the Mountain Hawk Eagle Nisaetus (Spizaetus) nipalensis Hodgson included the allopatric Sri Lankan
and southern Indian taxon N. kelaarti (Legge) as a subspecies (GrimSkip plate 71).
Shaheen (F p peregrinator) is a race of Peregrine.
Vigor's Sunbird as a race of Crimson Sunbird (see plate 140).
Tricoloured Munia - sometimes considered conspecific with Chestnut Munia/Black-headed Munia (Lopnchura atricapilla) (GrimSkip plate 147) - note that GrimSkip names Black-headed Munia Lonchura malaca and uses atricapilla for the sub-species whereas Rasmussen uses atricapilla for Chestnut(Black-headed) Munia.

cheers
Gordon

...Also as I will be out there in a couple or three months where is the usual Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler wintering area at Tikanem please. I may be a bit late at the end of February but you never know.

regards

Tikanem is a small village coming from Maem Lake towards Chorao Island, just as you've descended the hills and hit the flat open country/marsh. The Pallas's Grasshoppers winter in the reedbeds here. I've seen them mainly on the right hand side of the road (heading towards Chorao), where the scrubby reeds meet the acacia lined road, in the first 100 metres of reedbed. There are a few gaps in the trees where you can get to reed/water level. Without a tape, it could be a long wait. With a tape, decent views within a minute - they sang back and showed very quickly and quite well.

Pallas's Groppers aren't really supposed to be wintering in Goa. However, I've seen them at this site for a good few years (after first discovered there by Paul Holt/Hannu Jannes), and there is a lot of similar habitat in this area. There could be quite a sizeable wintering population, but they seem restricted to this part of Goa.

Photo of a Pallas's Gropper here:
http://www.surfbirds.com/media/gallery_photos/20091127053618.jpg

Google Map link:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Goa,+India&hl=en&ll=15.555643,73.909388&spn=0.000866,0.001545&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.699062,25.3125&vpsrc=6&hnear=Goa,+India&t=h&z=19
The area is the north side of the road, between the bridge and the house.

Cheers,
Mark

Away from Tikanem, i've encountered Pallas's Gropper twice on Baga Fields, both in November so quite likely to be migrants - although it is feasible that they could winter in the area. On both occasions single birds were seen in a stand of juncus on the east side of the fields, adjacent to the river.

I agree with Mark's comments about Pittas - they are by no means rare. I have seen them at a wide variety of sites, from the beach at Baga through to the Western Ghats. All the wooded ridges around Baga, Arpora and Saligao hold wintering birds but this is not to say they are easily found. As Mark rightly points out, learning the call helps but I have come across many by quietly walking through suitable habitat listening for the sound of leaves being overturned on the forest floor and waiting patiently for the perpetrator to reveal itself. Invariably it will prove to be an Orange-headed Thrush or Blackbird but I have had excellent views of pittas, butonquails Red Spurfowl, Emerald Doves and other goodies by persevering with this technique.

regards

Stuart

Bit of advice, please...in March next my wife and myself are doing the 'round Rajasthan' tour bit taking in Delhi, Ranthambore (safari), Bharatpur (day at Keoladeo), Jaipur, Agra, Jodphur, Udaipur....we finish up with a couple of full days in Goa (Candolim)-18/19 March. As my wife (not a birder) wants to chill, I might be able to sneak off for a day/day and a half for birding....given the short duration available, would anyone be able to recommend which of the many sites I should aim for (say 2 or 3) to give a flavour of Goan birding? (yep, appreciate I'm probably not doing it justice, given the info above...but having done 3 weeks in the country hopefully will already have a good range of species by the time we hit Goa).
Many thanks

I went to Goa 2/3 years ago and had 3 displaying male Indian Pitta on the access road to Bondla, showed very well (phone pic attached)... Great place.

Attachments

• AWBirderGOAIndianPitta.jpg
    AWBirderGOAIndianPitta.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back